Tuesday, April 26, 2022

Bluapple, Dogs, Hummingbirds




The TODAY SHOW has a bit on about products we cannot live without. I saw the BLUAPPLE and ordered it. This is an expensive little apple in which you place a packet to absorb ethylene gas that is put off by ripe fruit and causes other fruits to ripen. 


The little packet is activated charcoal. 

I think I could use any little container and punch holes in it. Then, I could fill little squares of coffee filters with activated charcoal. This would save money. But, it is done. Tommy was all for this and paid for it. 

Have you used this technology? Have you heard of it? 

We ran out of spoons and have been forced to wash plastic spoons. Tommy does not want regular cutlery. Today, he said, "Do you think you could find plastic spoons on the internet to order?" So, that is what I will do. 

It is Thursday afternoon and I must cook this meat! But, I can barely walk or sit up. But, Tommy will help.

The people next door finally put up the dog pen. Instead of it being a square, they bolted it together in one long fence that runs from their patio to their back fence. Good! Now, the children don't wave, just stare. I suppose the parents are mad and talking about us. They will still get cupcakes when I can manage. The dog house is as far from here as possible in a far corner.  It seems it is best where it is under a tree instead of where they were going to put it where it has full sun all day. 

I saw the first hummingbird today! I was so excited. When we were talking to Lynda in her driveway, Tommy saw a hummingbird at the edge of her patio. So, they have arrived. 

As awful as I felt, we had to get the meat cooked. I went and held onto the sink and told Tommy what to bring me. I put in a cooking bag four huge thighs and six chicken tenders, half a red onion, three small potatoes, and five carrots. 

Tommy had already gone to the kitchen to brown a huge package of ground beef. When I went in there, he asked me if I were going to peel the carrots. I said I was not and if he didn't have time, we just would not have carrots. I came back and he was scraping the carrots on his walker and stirring meat at his elbow. So, we had carrots, too. 

He had turned on the oven, so the chicken and vegetables went in quickly. I had to recover in the living room while he finished the beef. We ate while we watched Gunsmoke. 

I thought I had a second package of chicken tenders thawing. When Tommy put all the thawed meat in the sink, I was thinking one package of tenders looked very old, maybe not good. When I started loading up the cooking bag, I realized that one package was pork loin chops. I suppose it would have been okay, but I did cook the pork in a different bag. 

There are two "meals" of chicken in the refrigerator--one glass container with thigh and two chicken strips and three pieces of carrot, another container with thigh and two chicken strips. Plus, a third container with chicken. Six cups of ground beef are in another container. Five pork loin chops and onion are still in the oven. I will most likely freeze all the chops and eat the chicken the next three meals. I am going to make taco soup tomorrow with some of the ground beef, freezing two cups of the soup. I will freeze at least five bags of one cup each of the ground beef after putting some in the taco soup. 

Normally, I would have made half the ground beef into a meat loaf, divided it and frozen half. But, I was not up to making meatloaf. Maybe I will make Spanish Rice with brown rice, using up the some of the ground beef. A can of green beans will make an appearance somewhere. I want cole slaw, so we may get a bag. Well, Tommy will have to go in to get it. 

We have plenty of salad fixings to have a salad with the chicken. There is plenty of fruit to eat. I don't dare eat any oranges or grapefruit since I am very allergic to citrus and especially in the spring. 

I am not better nor getting better. I may call the doctor in the morning. 

10 comments:

  1. I am happy for you, just by nicely sharing your concerns with your new neighbor it seems that they want to be good neighbors. They have made a decision to control their pet's outings so as not to be too disruptive.
    You and Tommy do the best you can creating meals together. I would not cook pork and chicken together. Don't want you to cross contaminate and get sick. I will say it will save money if you don't have to buy plastic cutlery, I would go with the regular. Also, who knows how those things are made. You could be putting something toxic in your bodies every time you eat.
    I would also buy the smallest cabbage I can find, chop myself, (have Tommy do it) to make slaw. Those salad mixes are full of chemicals to keep them fresh and crisp looking. When I was a teenager, I had a job at family steak house. I was the "salad girl", even back then they had dehydrated salad fixings. It came in big bags that I had to add water to rehydrate and crisp up.
    I hope you are feeling better and did not have to go to the doctor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was nice to them. But, where they put the fence/cage makes more sense.
      I always grated cabbage for slaw. When I injured my hand and could not use it at all, I turned to bagged slaw. I still cannot grate at all. I would have cooked the chicken and pork long enough to kill anything. I sometimes overcook meat to be safe. Besides, I like dry meat, not juicy. He is against washing cutlery! I never knew salad mixes were dehydrated. News to me.

      Delete
  2. I don't have the energy to grate it anymore and don't have a food processor to do it. I just slice it thin on a cutting board and chop with my best knife. Even my Mom, that I took care of loved the mixed up texture of it.
    The ones at the store are not dehydrated now, just check the label and see if there are things added other than the greens. If there are you may not want that. I will say I don't like dry meat, I often marinade meats to make them tender, moist and flavorful. We all have different taste and what we enjoy. That is the joy of home made food, you can make it how you like it! LOL
    He does not like washed cutlery but will wash plastic, I am confused. I just put the cutlery in a sink full of hot, soapy water, let it soak a while. Wash and rinse, then put it on a towel on the counter to dry, easy, peasy,
    But, how are you? Feeling better I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He washes the pots and pans, stove and sink. He probably does not want to wash little fiddly things. Besides, we have a dishwasher that we use. When I get the cutlery, he will see that I can take care of it sitting in the living room with the cutlery on a towel on a huge cookie sheet. I can dry it since it won't hurt my hands to handle it. Like you say, it dries!

      Delete
  3. I have been using Bluapple for about a year. LOVE IT. It really works well. I also got liners that can be wash gently that has helped. Produce lasts closer to 2-3 weeks if not longer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Thanks. It is good to know these do work. I wondered about the liners. I was thinking about those, too. Glad to know all this.

      Delete
  4. I am confused about the Blue Apple. Does it go in the refrigerator fruit bin? Does it go in the fruit bowl on the counter?

    I think it's one of those simple things that's been made complicated to seem "newer/better."

    Like I used to catch fruit flies with apple cider vinegar, in a small bowl on the counter. They'd settle to drink, fall in, and drown (rather like snails and beer!). Then I saw a cute little red apple (very similar to your blue one) that came with "special fruit fly attractant." You'd fill the apple with the attractant and set it out to catch the flies. Well, of course you are guessing that the "special attractant" was nothing more than ACV! Sheesh. DUH. I felt dumb as a rock for buying it. Not only that, but the fruit flies don't seem to understand they have to crawl into the little holes to get the ACV. They'll settle on the apple, but not crawl in. Double DUH. Waste of money.

    So I went back to my little bowl of ACV. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Funny! I have done similar. But, I saw a red apple as I flipped past this blue one. I didn't check to see what it was. I used plain vinegar with a drop of olive oil because one day I saw them dying in a vinegar oil mixture, probably salad dressing. I found that putting a piece of plastic wrap over the vinegar was not good because the fruit flies did not crawl in, just sat on top of the wrap, looking in, I suppose.

      We all learn somehow. The apple can go in the refrigerator or on the counter. I have one with my bananas and one in the refrigerator.

      Delete
  5. PS: If you can't do the cutting/grating yourself, there's nothing wrong with bagged, pre-cut slaw. I don't like Dole because their bagged lettuces are often soggy and smelly with chemicals, but there are other brands that are fine. We all do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely get Dole's and get Publix. I don't buy soggy slaw. I have found it to be soggy looking. I think I do try my best.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...