Sunday, June 12, 2022

Breaking the Hardee's Habit

 Every day we went out early, Tommy loved stopping at Hardee's for a sausage and biscuit and coffee. Of course, I like the breakfast, but often carried a sandwich for breakfast. Tommy was not having any of this. He wanted Hardee's. 

Then, I started buying the expensive patties for him. Well, he quit the Hardee's habit cold turkey. I was amazed, still am amazed. He hasn't even had one of the patties lately I bought to turn him around. Once every three months or so, we do get a sausage/biscuit. 

Of course, there is no substitute for a Whopper for me. I eat the Whopper with cheese, lettuce, and tomato. However, I have been trying to get him to let me make us a chicken sandwich or anything to take when we go to Cullman. He objects strongly. His excuse--he just wants something warm.  I think that is an excuse, but I never fight it. I have to figure out what will be a good temptation. 

I suppose I could make a sandwich, wrap it in foil, and strap it to the engine....or something like that. 

The French fry habit has been cracked a bit but not broken. When I have eaten two fries and said I didn't want more, he demands to have them and eats all of them! So, I just quietly do not eat them and they are thrown away. Plus, we don't order meals that have a drink because they always have fries! 

The StarKist Chunk Light Tuna in Water came today--48 cans. That was one heavy box. Tommy could barely lift it, but he has trouble bending so far. Eight (8) cans were bent, one pretty bad and on the rim, one slightly and on the rim, the other 6 on their sides. I was given a refund on those. The date on the can is Nov 2025. 

I told Lynda that I would "sell" her a can for $0.935 for each can (not the bent ones) if she wanted SK at that price. She said she did. So, this won't be so costly as it appeared from what I paid. Of course, I don't want to sell too many, maybe just a dozen or less. Since the date is so far off, I won't feel as though it is "old" tuna.. .lol.

The tuna I have is costing me $0.77/can when all is said and done. A credit was used to get it to this price. I'm happy! 

Tommy put the shrink-wrapped package of cans on my lap and I went through each can, stroking and observing for dents. These cans will be placed back on the flat on which they were shipped and stored in the bedroom. However, I can only carry 6 cans in a bag at a time. Tommy will bring the cans we put in bags on his walker to the bedroom for me on Monday. This is hard work for me. My lap to knees need to recover.

I am terrified, petrified by the car wash! Today, I drove my car there and just wanted to die as I went inside! But, my washing my own car days are over. Besides, it must have been almost a year since I washed at this carwash. It was beyond filthy. Oh, it was $7 last time and $10 today!

I am still working on the list. Today, we got a few more things done.
List:
cut hair
wash snaplock lids
wash clothes
take cans of food to Lynda
find yard sale
find deodorant
unload dishwasher
air tires
wash car 
sort sweet potatoes
toss eggs
cook ground beef
buy spray bottle
dice 6 lbs. Vidalia onions
wash or color hair
order Rada
cook ground pork for taco casserole

We bought three more half-gallons of milk for $10.

Tommy did wash two loads of clothing for me, and I am grateful for that. 

We wanted to watch Fiddler on the Roof, so we had chicken and carrots for dinner. Tommy had a salad and I had an apple.

Midnight Sunday night and Tommy is in the kitchen washing two pots. After he used my good, expensive strainer to strain the bits of food from things he washed, I bought some sink strainers. I asked tonight how they worked for keeping food out of the pipes. He said they were so much easier. He can let any water drain now without working so hard to keep bits out of the drain. He had been spreading a dishcloth on the bottom of the sink and pouring liquid slowly through that. Then, he wrung out the cloth carefully and, picked/shook the residue into the trash. He was not aware that the sink strainer was a thing. 

If you use a walker, do you use it to transport heavy objects on the seat? Or, do you push someone else's walker like a cart?
Do you know someone with a fast-food habit? 






22 comments:

  1. I used my walker for a lot of things when I had my hip replacement. I took a large canvas tote be and tied it to the front with shoe strings really tight.

    I could put veggies, cutting board and bowls with lids in it. Walk back to the den where I could then sit and chop everything, put it in the bowls. Walk it back to the kitchen, Put the veggies in the fridge and drop the board and knife in the sink.

    I did go out today and buy 8lbs of bacon for $3,00lb to restock the freezer. I prefer a nice homemade BLT to going out for a buger.

    I could have a habit of eating fast food but I don't go out like you do. Your like a couple of teenagers, driving the main drag looking for adventure. If you both enjoy a good BLT, you could make those add a few other things in a cooler. It would make a very nice meal to take with you. Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      I have Tommy to bring me things to chop...lol. And, he does use his walker to transport things to me.

      That is a good price for bacon. We do love a BLT!

      We don't just go out for no reason most of the time. We usually have a specific thing to get. I have suggested everything but a BLT. He likes things in the microwave until bread and meat are so tough I cannot bite it r chew it.

      Delete
  2. We don't eat much fast food, but for whatever reason, my teens like Subway. I don't mind it in a pinch, but it's certainly not something I'd seek out. Particularly the 16 y.o. is a huge fan of Subway, and will use his money to get a sandwich there. Interestingly, we don't even keep sandwich bread at our house, because no one will ever eat a sandwich. I'd buy it, if I thought anyone would eat sandwiches. So, maybe it's the rarity of a sandwich that's the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hawaii,
      I am surprised that teens would particularly like Subway. I wish somedays we did not keep bread here, but it seems to be a mainstay, especially for Tommy.

      Delete
  3. We get our eat out money in cash each month and when it is gone we are done no matter if we eat fast food take out or go to a sit down restaurant. We earn freebies with the apps plus there are tons of deals on the apps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      That is a good idea. I will have to mention it to him. I need to get going with the apps!

      Delete
  4. I try very much not to eat fast food, but if I do, I like Whoppers best.
    I cannot remember ever eating at a Hardee's. Is that the same as Arby's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to stay away from fast food most days. Whoppers are my favorite, too. No, Arby's has the roast beef sandwiches, no burgers. The roast beef is then thinnest sliced beef I have ever seen, quite nice. Hardees is the breakfast king in my opinion and the opinion of the hoards who eat there. The biscuits are the best. Just talking about these makes me want to eat all this. Of course, I won't...lol.

      Delete
  5. I haven't had a Whopper in years. I can't even remember what they taste like. Not a roast beef fan so I never eat at Arby's.

    The breakfast Queen is Wendy's, with their Maple Bacon Chicken Croissant sandwich. Thank goodness I don't go out for breakfast much. I try not to eat before noon.

    My newest love is the McDonald's triple cheeseburger. It's the perfect amount of meat/cheese on a single bun. It's enough protein so that I am completely satiated.

    But usually I prefer to eat at home. I can make a protein-filled, low-carb sandwich or wrap (or a salad) so easily. Last night DH ordered "artisan" pizza for himself and DS. Pizza is just too carby, so I made a chicken burger on a slice of low-carb bread. I also had a small dish of cauliflower-pea salad, which has been such a treat and a nice change from the standard broccoli salad.

    Mission brand makes good, low-carb wraps in different sizes and flavors. Right now I am loving their spinach wrap for only 3 gr of carbs and 60 calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That croissant would be ruined, plus all those flavors together would be awful to me. It turns out most days that I rarely eat before noon.

      The thing about most triple anything is that there is too much bread. I don't need that much bread and it would be hard to even swallow so much. Protein is what I need to get into me the most.

      I think this is the first time you have mentioned family. That is why we rarely have pizza! We both love it, but Dominoes surely cannot be good for anyone. However, we are going to have flatbread pizza at home tonight. It was scheduled for last night, so maybe tonight.

      Mission. I will have to remember that.

      Delete
    2. I love the Wendy's bacon egg and cheese biscuits. Real ingredients makes them delicious!

      Delete
    3. Lana,
      I will have to remember that! Thanks.

      Delete
    4. Linda, the McDonald's triple cheeseburger only has the top and bottom buns--there is no bread in between the 3 burgers and 2 slices of cheese. That's why I like it--there's SO much more meat/cheese than bun!

      And the Maple Bacon Chicken Croissant is heavenly. It's undeniable proof that God loves me and wants me to be happy. :^)
      I hear Ben Franklin felt the same way about beer... ;^)

      I'm pretty sure I have mentioned DH, DS, and DD before. If not, well, they exist regardless and I like them quite a bit, even when they wear on my last nerve. :^)

      Delete
    5. Sue,
      I hate the middle bun thing, so never get those burgers. I will have to look into that. Tommy said we had a Big King at BK the other day without the middle piece of meat.

      LOL...I am so glad God loves you.

      You probably have mentioned the family and I am just being flaky and tired.

      Delete
    6. Sue, I meant without the middle bun.

      Delete
  6. The Hardee’s sausage biscuits are good, but will save you money by not buying them. Good deal on the tuna. I’m glad they refund3d you for the dented cans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      The premade sausage patties were expensive but cheap compared to how many bought sandwiches they replaced....part of my thinking. I will get rid of the dented cans.

      Delete
  7. I can't remember when we last ate fast food!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      It should be so long for us! But, we have eliminated one place, anyway.

      Delete
  8. I haven't been to a Hardee's in decades. I used to LOVE Whoppers with cheese but haven't been able to eat one in many years due to my acquired gluten intolerance. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breenlantern,
      Sorry you cannot have a Whopper! But, your health comes first.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...