Friday, July 8, 2022

Two-Year Earache, Basil, New Use for Plastic

 As you may remember, I have had an earache in my left ear for well over two years. I had a telecall from my ENT.  He concluded that it was pain from TMJ. This was before I told him I had that problem. I sort of doubted it, but figured there was nothing to do as I cannot take pseudoephedrine, the one thing that relieves congestion in my ears. 

For four days my ear has not hurt, neither day nor night. For the last day I have been mulling over why the pain and congestion is gone. Finally, I realized I can smell the basil sitting on the table not two feet from me. (I have been able to smell it all along, but it occurred to me this might be a solution.) So, quickly I googled "basil congestion" and discovered there were lots of entries. Most call for steam from a concoction or ingestion of the plant. I am here to tell you I did not need anything but the scent or whatever I am inhaling. 

It just so happens that I love the scent of basil. It is sort of like an aphrodisiac for me or mood enhancer or something. It is pleasant. (Tommy hates everything basil) Most scents from plants or flowers I bring indoors congest me. Therefore, I was anxious about putting it so close to me. 

I have had one other basil this year. I left it outside and it bolted in the heat. So, I was taking no chances with this one.  I have never had two basil plants in one year. I was also anxious that the basil would die in the dark house with no light coming in a window. Thankfully, it is thriving under the lamp beside me. It gets a 180 degree turn every day.  Who knew LED light would work? Not me. I suppose I need to carry a basil plant with me in the car!

All my sinus problems seem less. I thought at first it was because the level of pollutants and allergens in the atmosphere was low. But, that seems not to be the case. Okay, Thursday now. I awoke congested. My head is not well. I reached over and pinched off a basil leaf, folded it and sniffed. The whole inside of my nose burned in a very unwelcome pain! The congestion did subside. 

If I carry around a basil leaf and sniff it, people will talk! Right? Do I care? Not a whit.

Some products like vitamins and prescription medicines are packed with a little paper packet of desiccates to cut down on humidity damage. Instead, now I get a little drum/barrel-shaped plastic with the desiccates inside. Once opened the content is the same as the little paper packets. I am furious. Why did they change to plastic? Maybe the paper packets would biodegrade in a few years. Plus, the volume of the paper was minimal. The plastic is definitely a larger volume. Maybe the plastic will degrade? Maybe it just looks like plastic. Maybe I have over-reacted?

Finally, a search revealed these are plastic. Dastardly plastic! 

Thursday, the lawn guy mowed for the first time. The yard looks really nice for the first time in a long time. I had Tommy give him a bottle of water when he arrived and another after he finished. He expressed his appreciation both time. It feels like 103F. I asked him to cut up the huge limb that fell in the back yard and we could get boys to move it. He spent five minutes cutting it, not moving or stacking or pulling on it, just using the chain saw. The missionaries could not get it over the fence, so now it is in pieces they can manage. 

He is very impressive. He said he picked up the limb, moved it, and mowed under it so it would not get grown up. Most guys would have just mowed around it. 

For dinner on Thursday, Tommy ate meat loaf, potatoes, carrots, and zucchini. I ate meat loaf and cole slaw.

I know that herbs are used for medical problems and but never basil. Have you used basil or heard of its use for congestion? 

Have you noticed the new plastic containers of desiccants in products?


17 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear your earache is better. I swear doctors just pretty much guess at everything. I haven't heard of basil for medical things, but my dh is trying a supplement with a bunch of herbs to see if it helps his prostate and general inflammation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      After two years, it is so nice not to have a pain every waking moment! I often wonder how people decided on herbs and cures years ago. I suppose they accidentally got relief and looked about to see what happened to cause relief. Hopefully the herbs will help with the inflammation. I have general inflammation and would be willing to try herbs at this point. I hope it works for him.

      Delete
  2. If you feel basil works for you then it does! I feel the same about thyme for sore throat. I infuse it in honey and sip a little off the end of a spoon several times a day. Relief!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie,
      I will keep that in mind. How do you infuse the thyme and honey?

      Delete
  3. I love making fresh basil tea. It's so much better than regular ice tea. Also helps my congestion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HHH,
      How do you make the basil tea? Cold or hot?

      Delete
    2. I like it cold over ice but some drink it hot. I use basil leaves, honey, and lemon. Sometimes I put a tiny sliver of ginger

      Delete
  4. My husband's paternal grandparents were from Sicily. They used basil in tea to drink with honey when sick. They used it for toothaches too. I'd forgotten about using it for medicinal usage. I have a huge pot and pick the leaves , wash and dry, then freeze. It's great to have fresh basil all year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angie,
      I am so happy I discovered that basil was medicinal. Until I moved here, I did the same. I tried every method of freezing then finally just stuffed the leaves in a freezer bag and added leaves all the time. They are so good in dishes all year. Thanks for the information about Sicily.

      Delete
  5. My Synthroid pills come in a foil sealed bottle with a tiny round plastic container of that dessicant inside of the bottle. Every time I go to get a pill out, the tiny round barrell shaped dessicant container comes to the opening first and blocks the way of the pill to come out. I have to wiggle the bottle around to get the pill out past the tiny dessicant container. Sometimes when my thyroid pills come in a container from Walgreens, they don't have the dessicant in the container. I think I will start reusing the little dessicant containers when Walgreens give me the pills in one of their containers. Obviously the pills cannot have a lot of exposure to humidity and our house at this time of year has a lot of humidity in it. I already take the highest dose of thyroid medicine that comes in one pill and sometimes even that is not enough, doctor said I may have to get another strength pill to add to it if my numbers don't improve. I take it in the morning on an empty stomach and then don't eat anything for an hour.
    Have a nice day, stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I hate that little plastic drum! The pills sometimes come out too fast and I spill them. I take levothyroxin and no one told me to take it in the morning and wait to eat. I wonder now.

      Delete
  6. I take Zyflamend for inflammation. You might want to look it up on Amazon. It's an herbal supplement and kept me from having trigger finger surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I chew fresh basil to help relieve gut issues...it's a wonder herb.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breenlantern,
      Thanks. I learn something new about basil every day.

      Delete
  8. I think I have a book somewhere that tells all the alleged treatments each herb can do. I keep in mind though we used these things when we had no other options. I keep the herbs for eating.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...