Saturday, August 20, 2022

Great Saturday

Sleep was different last night. I went to bed, read an hour, and then slept two hours and could not go back to sleep, got up and computer was acting up. So, I went back to bed about 7 am and slept until 1:30. I felt better than I have in ages. Tommy says he can tell I felt better.

Of course, my ears don't hurt. My throat was not sore anymore, chest felt clear, eye lids were not sore, and best of all, I was clear-headed. Sooo, of course, I wanted to get things done that I had wanted to do. I felt really good! Tommy got to hear the list of things "we" needed to do. First on the list was removing old roach baits and put down new ones. He did that while I heated ham to eat for my lunch and put all the utensils in the dishwasher. Next, he handed me the plates and other items for dishwasher and we got that running. 

See? These are not major chores, just things that need to be done to live. We are now eating off an assortment of plates, not paper plates. The other chores were to heat through the thawed ham and freeze most of it. I forgot one thing--Tommy needs to put shelf paper in one shelf! 

I really would like to have a set of dishes instead of a hodge podge of plates and such. I suppose when I do get dishes, we can still use the hodge podge when dishes are not clean. It is time for a thrift store trip or to a affluent area of town for a good yard sale. 

Then, we went for a drive and to Publix. We both needed our separate milks, bananas, bread, and a pill splitter. My favorite bread was bogo, so that is something.  My pill splitter started cutting off a third of a pill, not good. He got that done while I waited in the car. We had to wait a bit to go out since we got a short soaking rain, but there was no thunder or lightning. 

On the drive to Bessemer, we stopped at a guy's produce stand. He had pulled his pickup into his very short driveway with the bed over the sidewalk. His pickup had produce, probably from the big produce market on Finley. However, he had cups of muscadine. So, we got a $5 cup, about 12 ounces. These will make good eating out of hand until I decide to make jam. Of course, it will have seeds and skins in it just like at my Aunt Willie's (Wilhelmina) in Mississippi. She was a great aunt, mama's aunt; and we loved her and her cooking. Her house is the only place I have ever had muscadine jam. The tomatoes were big and beautiful, but we have plenty of tomatoes....maybe another day. 

Altogether, Saturday was a very pleasant day, only about 80 at 5 pm, but so humid, 93%, not pleasant at all. I would rather it be in the 90s and low humidity. 

Dinner tonight will be ham, slaw and tomatoes.  Tommy said he might have salad instead of slaw. 

If I feel this good tomorrow, I might make the cupcakes for the children next door. Enough sleep goes a long way to getting things done. It's after 8 pm and I see lightning, but hear no thunder. Tommy did not have to water today and won't tomorrow. 

How was your Saturday? Have you ever had muscadines? Muscadine jam? 

10 comments:

  1. Glad you were feeling better and had a good day. Hope today is the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a few minutes before 7 am and I still have not been asleep, I don't hold out a lot of hope. I have been in bed all night long and just got up.

      Delete
  2. I had to look up the word muscadine, for I have never had any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      If you ever have the chance to taste one fresh, take the opportunity to eat one. Beware of the seed. There is even muscadine wine that you would love.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you are feeling better. I have never even heard of a muscadine - they must not have them here up north, LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      There is probably not one person in the South who has never heard of a muscadine. If they grew where you are, they would grow well in your woods. While they are commercially grown, the only ones I ever had were in the woods.

      Delete
  4. Another "Linda's Learning" experience! I had to look up muscadine grapes as well. They are native grapes that grow only in hot, humid regions (zone 7 or warmer). Their vines produce 7 times more fruit than ordinary grapevines. I would love to taste them fresh, someday! Amazon sells the jelly, but it is pricy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I know I answered this. Maybe I will send you some preserves.

      Delete
  5. My grandmother in Arkansas always had muscadine preserves. I have also eaten them fresh. They are unknown in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet,
      Goodness, with all the grapes in California, I am surprised no one is growing muscadines.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...