Saturday, August 27, 2022

Satisfying Saturday

 Today was a really good, happy day. I awoke feeling 100%, but still have meds to take. The sky was blue but a bit hazy. When the mist dried off, the sky was a clear blue. But, when we reached the Warrior River, there was a great fog. This was all around 8 am. Around noon fluffy clouds appeared and added to the beauty of the sky. The further south we came, the more clouds we encountered. Despite predictions, it never did rain. We heard one clap of thunder and had about ten drops of rain on the windshield. 

Surprisingly, my mailbox at the PO was not stuffed to overflowing. There was lots of mail but orderly and not a lot of junk mail. I was glad there was nothing there that was dated and perilously overdue, lacking my attention. 

When we went to the Festhalle, and the Farmer's Market was in full swing. I could not find Elberta peaches, but did find freestone peaches--$14 for a bucket of 13 peaches. When we got home, I ate the ripest one that was still hard yet was so tasty. A tiny basket of five squash was $4. I like tiny squash because I just do, plus I am supposed to avoid all seeds and skin which leaves little of squash to eat...lol. I forgot to buy a gallon bag of shelled peas! 

I saw my favorite farmer and bought from him. I have bought from him for 30 years, bought from his farm and the market. But, today I met his wife for the first time. 

At the Publix in my town I found original Special K bogo. So, got one. Once in a while I want Special K with sliced bananas and milk. When I finish this box, I probably won't buy again for six months. Snaplock brand was bogo, so I bought two bowls. While I was at it, I bought two more jars of Miracle Whip bogo because the date was January 23. Since we have been so successful at not using plasticware, I bought another 6 salad forks and 6 spoons. 

We ate a burger in the shade of my magnificent oak. Like Tommy said, it is the only place we can be sure of shade since it was high noon. Our other eating places would not have shade! I had a pleasant visit with my yard. There is a lavender Rose of Sharon/Althea volunteer in my yard. My neighbor agreed she wanted it. 

Halos are back in stores. I won't buy any right away. We have bananas, apples, cherries, and peaches. 

Friday night, Tommy opened a can of green beans and I discovered green beans that are so awful I refused to finish mine. The first bite was a mass of strings and several bites thereafter. I was not eating a stem or anything that should have been stringy. Freshlike is the worst brand of green beans ever. 

Today, I decided about 4 pm to take a nap, but that was not to be. I tried 3 times but the thumping that some call music made my chest hurt and disturbed me. So, it is 9:30 pm and I feel miserable. Tommy had leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes and salad with tomato. So, there was none left for me. I told him to eat it, so no complaints. I had Special K, banana, and milk for dinner. Then, I had part of an apple.

Friday night, I cut my bangs, too short, of course. Saturday morning, I washed my hair before 7 am and it was dry before we got to Cullman. My hair feels so good--clean. fluffy, and shiny. I have never gone four weeks without washing my hair before. Now, I feel like I can go into a store without scaring people. 

That was my exciting Saturday. How was your Saturday? Did you get to a market today? 

Feeling well is a gift!

 


8 comments:

  1. I went to the neighborhood walmart today and they were still out of the sams diet cola 2 liter bottles. I had gone on Tuesday and they had none today. In fact, they were pretty much wiped out of 2 liter bottles of everything. I am lucky I still have a few, I always shop before I am out.

    I have been wondering about your lot and if you were still checking on it. I would think you would still have to mow or keep it up for city ordinances. Are you planning on keeping it or putting it up for sale? You have seemed to settle quite well at Tommy's and I think he likes having you there. Do you think that is where you would like to stay for the forseeable future?

    I hate to hear you forgot to get the peas. I know I enjoy those so much in the summer but the prices these days are ridiculous. Around here they are asking 6$lb. I long for the days when you could buy a bushel for not much and shell them yourself. I like to shell peas, it is very relaxing and you know at the end they are fresh!

    Happy that you are at least feeling well enough to wash your hair. I have to fight myself to get in there and take a shower but once I do it I feel so much better. Once I get the shower and shave my legs it drives me on to change the sheets. Then at the end of the day I know I get to slip into a nice clean crisp bed. Funny how the simple things are so wonderful, I just love the simple things that make me happy. Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      We try to shop for things before we are out, but the other day, neither of us had milk. I was too sick to think about it, and he just runs out.

      As for the second paragraph, I prefer not to discuss it except to say I have someone take care of the maintenance.

      That gallon of peas like cost $10, but it would be equal to prices in the stores. I do not enjoy shelling peas anymore. It is more of a pain now with physical problems.

      There was no fighting to get my hair washed because I could not have stood and let go of the sink to raise my arms. It was just not possible. Clean sheets are a special kind of pleasure, to be sure. Simple things make me happy, too, always have. Have a nice rest of the weekend.

      Delete
  2. I understand about the second paragraph but I am glad you are looking after your lot.

    That is a deal for a gallon bag of peas. I would be all over that, I would break it down and freeze in servings that met my needs, I like black eyes, purple hulls the best. I like to shell my own because I like the smaller ones for snaps. they never put those in the ones I get at the farmers market, Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gotten them with snaps, but they were shelling especially for me. I went early and the guy said he would have them by noon, so went back for them. He asked if I wanted snaps. I do freeze in small portions.

      Delete
  3. So glad you are feeling better and had a good day. That is a blessing.
    I really like Freshlike products - never had any that were bad. Sorry for your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thanks. It is wonderful. This is the first time I ever found green beans I did not like. I am not picky, but green beans that are all strings/fiber are just not edible.

      Delete
  4. Reading the title alone made me smile for you.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...