Friday, August 26, 2022

Friday Better! Waste

 Friday, I felt better, so much better. I get limp with any exertion but will take this stage of recovery. Tommy never catches anything. He just sits and moans about his sinuses for a morning and then he is completely recovered. I am glad for him when this happens.

The sun shone brightly, and the skies were blue, so it was a lovely and pleasant day. We took a ride to where Tommy was born and grew up. At one point when he was emancipated, he and his younger brother owned the house and lived there alone. He showed me the homes of relatives--grandparents, aunts, and uncles.

Of course, I took a nap that was interrupted by dogs, motorcycles, and a souped-up car that revved its motor as it raced away and back. UGH

We are watching Gone With The Wind. Of course, I love it. But, thirty years ago, I began to focus on the architecture and furnishings of the rooms. Then, there is Clark Gable!

Inspired by Scarlett, I once made an unstructured jacket from a silk curtain I found wadded up in an attic. When I wore the outfit, everyone greeted me with "Miss Scarlet." The palazzo pants and tunic were made from $1/yd sheer fabric. It was a great sale the day I bought that fabric. My three-piece outfit cost all of $3. I made this on Christmas Day because I had a party to go to that night. 

Don't feel sorry for my sewing on Christmas Day. I love to sew and was happy as I sewed. The party was fun. 

Finally, we wasted food. Even though I love mushrooms, I wasted three boxes given to me because I was so ill for so long. I even wasted the cooked ones, well some of them. I wasted the wonderful chicken broth. If it is cooked or raw and Tommy will eat it. He finished up lots of food with no problem. Because I was not up for salad or much of it and Tommy ate all he could or wanted, salad was wasted. But, I did the best I could! I hate it. 

10 comments:

  1. You were luckier with the weather than we were. Though it did not rain here until night time, the day was overcast until early evening. We drove to another part of town to have dinner with a visiting cousin and the sky was clear and gorgeous there. By the time we came home when rain here was ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      And, we are not so far apart! At least you did get some pretty sky.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thanks. I am better this Saturday afternoon than I was last night.

      Delete
  3. I think people should do whatever makes them happy on Christmas day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food waste happens sometimes. Don't be too hard on yourself, as you were sick and unable to do your normal prep work. Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue,
    I was disgusted at the waste but knew it was not something I could have helped at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have friends who can quote every line from the ding doing movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot quote every line, but I know many of the lines and scenes. Love it.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...