Sunday, September 25, 2022

Obsessed or Not

Maybe not obsessed, but mighty interested in figuring out what I am doing with these succulents. 

I have learned a lot about succulents in 24 hours. It is sort of a crash course for me. I got the succulent pieces on Wednesday, bought the cactus soil mix on Friday, and finally "transplanted" the leaves on Saturday afternoon. Impatient, later Saturday night I picked up one of the leaves and roots had started to form, just like the class teacher said they would. It is amazing. So, anything that gets roots will get planted. That means nine "planters" and the room for them to sit around! 

If one of the four flat leaves is a Christmas Cactus, I will be happy to have just that one since I have always wanted one. Oh, I have always wanted Hen and Chicks, too, even more than the Christmas Cactus.

The problem lies with soil for succulents. Even having it in the same room caused me to start having asthma symptoms, coughing and shortness of breath. I won't be driven to an inhaler just because of a plant! These need less light soil, but I am afraid to experiment with a heavier soil. Does anyone have an idea of what soil they can stand that won't choke me? Even having the basil plant near me causes me problems, I fear. At least the basil serves a health purpose by lessening ear congestion. 

Obsessed much? Well, it will shortly end as I get the knowledge and get these bits of cactus under control. I removed the bag of soil from the house and now can breathe better! I need a storage place and an outdoor place to work!

When we heard it might rain overnight, Tommy took the new geranium onto the ramp for a chance of a good watering. It appears it did rain a bit. So, he won't have to water at all today since the temperatures are lower. 

This afternoon, I went to the thrift store looking for Corelle plates. Tommy is slowly warming up to the idea of not using paper plates. He no longer objects, so that is good. Sometimes, he even uses a real plate. There were hundreds of plates in great and small stacks. None appeared to be Corelle, and some were broken! I could not pick them up. 

However, I did find two measuring bowls just like the set I got for a wedding present. I already have one, the middle size and today I found the two smallest. So, good deal for $1 for the two. Then, I found a very heavy, antique pressed glass dish, divided for serving olives and such. It was $4.49, a steal. I can sell it for twice as much if I want to sell it. 

I stood as long as I could. I wanted a Trivial Pursuit game. The manager sent someone to find it for me and bring it to the front. However, she did not bring Trivial Pursuit, and all were for children, just a bunch of games loosely related to trivia. I left disappointed. 

Today, as we sat in the park, me soaking in the green and Tommy soaking in a baseball game, I had an idea. Where we sat there was an area near a fence with a hundred pinecones, new ones. My idea--get a circle of cardboard, clean off a bunch of pinecones, glue them to the circle of cardboard with the pinecones lying point out, layering them so they formed a tree of pinecones. Then, I could spray it and put it on the porch for Christmas. Tommy could use his reacher to pick up the cones and put them in a box. I can lift it to his walker for him to carry. Maybe I will do this, maybe not. 

The decluttering is slow, maybe one item a day, maybe 5. But, things are leaving one way or another. 

Tonight, my dinner was salad with tomato, shredded cheese, and chicken on top. Tommy had cube steak, mashed potatoes, and carrots. 

Today was mid 80s. But, best of all--the humidity was low. 

14 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a pinecone tree, that would look great! I might have to start collecting pine cones now. Do you wear a mask when doing the succulents? I wear one when I use potting mix as I have asthma and apparently it isn't good to breath in the dust from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I did a couple of weeks ago, but apparently forgot I need to this time. You know what I mean then about the dust from potting mix. Even flour or pepper can set me off. If your pine cones are not open enough, put them on a baking sheet and turn the oven to lowest setting and they open beautifully. One year, the only pine cones in my yard were very shut tight. So, I dried them to perfection. Of course, in a dry house in front of a window would work but take much longer.

      Delete
    2. thanks for the tip about the pine cones

      Delete
    3. Jan,\You are welcome. I tried this after I needed pine cones and collected newly fallen ones on a damp and cold day.

      Delete
  2. Around these parts succulents grow like weeds, cause this is where they grow.
    Good for you about the decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I would be fascinated by all the succulents. But, I was so excited when we went to Texas, I tried to pick a cactus flower and regretted that for a long time.

      Delete
  3. My grandparents had Corelle dinner ware and i hated it but the set somehow made it's way to my place and i wasn't going to throw it away so I appreciated it's lightness for many years (despite hating the design)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't use an ugly design. Corelle has some atrocious ones. Okay, maybe one or two plates. But, I hope to find good designs.

      Delete
  4. Succulents are so neat as are Christmas cactus. We have several of both kinds here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas Cactus is one of my favorite succulents! I hope I end up with one taking root.

      Delete
  5. Slow progress is still progress. Keep going. You're doing great.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sassybear,
      Thanks. it feels good to see things go and areas clearer.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...