Thursday, October 20, 2022

After the Smoke

 After the smoky lunch, I was so smoky smelling. My hair still is! I may throw a sheet over the railing outside the door and spread my sweater on it. To make matters worse, one of my major prescriptions for asthma is out. We forgot to pick it up yesterday on the way home. 

We went to bed shortly after midnight on Wednesday. I slept soundly for about seven hours, only getting up for the bathroom once. Miraculously, I am feeling better than usual. There are no lung problems, no allergy problems so far this morning, just smoky hair and sweater. 

Wednesday night, I reminded Tommy I had a doctor's appointment today. We both checked our daybooks and he had nothing for me for today. Between both of us, we had recorded four appointment days for this one doctor for me. This has never happened before. When he finally reached the doctor's office, the appointment is not until the end of November! 

I loaded the dishwasher with the new dishes and there was not enough room for the dirty dishes in the sink! So, I decided it would be easier to hand wash them. They are out and now the stuck-on, really dirty dishes can go into the place that handles those well. 

Since I have been calling one hairdresser off and on for a year, and her husband, the plumber, does not return calls, I found someone else, I thought. I could not reach the shop or personal number, so I was becoming very discouraged. So, this morning she called back. She is just my kind of operator. 

She has a separate price for a dry cut, no shampoo. She always leaves customers facing the mirror. I have been turned where I cannot see and had hair cut too much in the wrong places! She cuts with scissors, so no sliding a razor or scissor blade down my hair! That makes my fine and thin hair too thin and damages hair. I like my bangs longer on the sides and not straight across like my bangs are cut in the picture when I was about eight-years-old. I just hope she does not insist on styling my hair or using product! It has been over three years since I had my hair cut. It has been that long since I used product-- hairspray when I went to my 55th hs reunion. 

On SAM's blog, I mentioned a woman friend I just had to let go. I literally scraped her off my plate 15 years ago.  She lived in a very old, small trailer with an old dog. She removed the cabinet doors in the kitchen to place over the holes in her floor so she could walk. She used her food stamps to feed chicken and other goodies to her dog. I offered her help, she took it and then called me screaming. She embarrassed me in public numerous times. I did not tell her to leave me alone, but eventually I just did not speak to her when we happened to be in the same place. She was pathetic but refused help unless it was on her terms, not always a bad thing. 

Well, yesterday I found out she developed dementia, and died. Once she was diagnosed, she went quickly into memory care. She was almost 75 when she died. Before dementia, she managed to build a very nice home. HOW! She received money from one of her many dead husbands, something she had been due for years. I have no idea of the cause of the delay, but she finally found a home without rats running over her in the night. 

While I don't feel sorry for the demise of our friendship, I am sorry for her. I knew she was bipolar and had schizophrenia, and I did know what to do except escape from her abuse. I could work on her behalf for days, getting her the help she needed, always with her permission and she would rail at me for finding a source of help, all without revealing her name to others. Okay, I have to stop! 

Thursday, I awoke having slept seven hours with plans. We set off and ticked off everything and added another stop. Then, the good day turned hellish. There is no way I can relate it and keep my sanity. Right now, I have to get dinner in the oven. Tomorrow, maybe.

We got into the car at 7pm after three hours in one business to get the transaction cancelled. No luck. Have you ever just wanted to get out of a bad situation instead of facing it in the morning. Well, we have to go back. AAACK!

I am too ill with feeling bad, not a sickness, I hope. So, dinner cooking is cancelled, and I turned to the freezer for protein and Tommy will have salad with broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, and cucumber. He will probably put the ground beef on top. I am having a bowl of oatmeal. He could have had taco salad but preferred I thaw cooked, chopped, ground beef. 

Oops! I posted this too soon and it is has been up for a bit. So, I will leave it. Tommy ate and I am going to microwave oats and call it dinner. 





10 comments:

  1. Mental illness is so very sad, and so hard to get help for. I'm sorry for your bad day. You must have been able to seperate from it a bit since you blogged. That's positive. I hope the smoke smell disipates. As there's no school and the weather is nice, there's fires all over our neighborhood back yards. It's dumb because we have drought conditions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I knew answers for some of her problems. But, I found a dog food provider who helped because so many people on food stamps were feeding their dog with food stamps. Plus, people getting meals on wheels were feeding their animals their meals. She gave me permission to tell them her name and phone number. THEN, she raved at me for telling people about her. She did tell me she was bipolar and had schizophrenia, but I stuck in there. I did not try to find mental health because she said she knew what to do.

      I had written most of this post and was still shaking from the bad experience.

      That is so scary to have fires in a neighborhood. I hope there is no wind. The wind was blowing and there was ash blowing. None I saw were live, but I imagined my sweater burned, not to mention houses!

      Delete
  2. I don't like to shower and wash my hair at night, only in the afternoon. Several years ago before my knees got bad I used to sometimes go out to a Mexican restaurant/lounge with my work friends. My husband was at work, my kids were grown and out of the house, and I hated sitting at home alone. I still worked part time back then, so Friday nights out were exciting. There was cigarette smoke in the air there, and I hate having that odor on me. My work friend and her friends and I all had the best times. There would be a Mexican band playing and after never dancing in my entire life, I would get up and dance anytime a suitable guy asked me. I just tried to do the steps like everyone else was. It turned out there were quite a few people there I knew from tutoring English Language classes. So there were my students and their husbands or wives and their cousins and friends, it was really fun. Only one time did I have a problem that I didn't even realize I was having until one of the uncles of my students came over and spoke with me. He was asking what that man who had just spoken to me had said. I chirped , oh he just wanted to know if I wanted a Coke. I was so dumb. Luckily I had said no, because when I told the Uncle what the man had said, he told me not to talk to that man, that the guy was a bad man and no good, and then something about drogas, drugs. The rest of that evening, the Uncle, and his nephew, my student , who was in the band, and several other men from that town where they all came from all kept their eyes on me. The Uncle of my student went over and had a "chat" with the man who asked if I wanted a coke, the other men from the Uncle's town were all glaring at the Coke man, and ready to back the Uncle up. The Coke man sat as far away as he could from me and never said another word to me. But before he moved over to the other side of the room,. I could hear a bit of the Uncle and the Coke man talking but it was so fast and furious that the only words I understood were "La Maestra", that was what my student, his Uncle, and the other men, and their wives from that town called me. I did have fun dancing with the Uncle and a couple of other men that he knew who were friends of my student.
    At that time I could speak quite a lot of Spanish and make myself understood by charade movements of what I was talking about. I often wondered what if I may have said something completely different than what I meant. Anyway after going out and having fun, I was full of smoke stench. I would come in and take off my slacks and blouse, put my hair up in one of those blue cloth hairnets, wash myself with dial bar soap, put on my jammies, and lay my clothes on the chair on the front porch and put a clothes pin on them so they wouldn't blow away. Before I went to bed, I brought them in, and put them in the back room to air out. In the morning I brushed my hair and hairsprayed it and I couldn't smell the smoke in it either. So if you get dental work where they have you wear the blue hair net or medical procedure where they do, keep that hair cover so you can sleep in it after you go out to any more woodfire cooking dinners.

    All of the activities I did back then is like a dream world when I think of it now. I might be able to dance to half a song if I slow danced with my husband---and I do mean slow. I sure know I would not be dancing backwards and fast to a Mexican Band playing The Beer Barrell Polka round and round the dance floor. I haven't volunteer tutored in about 17 years now. I do miss those days.

    Have a great day tomorrow!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I even offer to put the hair cover on before surgery. It must be difficult to get it on a heavy head with long hair. I will keep the next one. I did pull my hair back so it was not near my nose all night.

      That is a scary thing that happened. No telling what would have happened if you said 'yes' to "Coke."

      I could dance polka, two step, and lots of fast songs in circles. But, those days are gone, too. The other day I was wondering what would happen if I put on roller skates. Thanks for the memory.

      Delete
  3. I used to love to skate board with one of my neighborhood friends when I was in sixth grade. It was in the mid 1960's and the boy across the street and I would skateboard all over the place. I did great on a skateboard, but no tricks or anything like that yet here in Missouri in the 1960's.

    After three times falling while riding my bicycle , I was not a fan of bicycling anymore. I never fell while skateboading. We found slanted empty parking lots and streets and it was almost like flying. With the bicycle I hurt myself bad every other year or so. I broke a collarbone, fell and skinned myself up pretty bad, and fell and I think to this day must have broke a bone in my ankle, though they didn't see anything on the xray. It was the summer before switching schools and starting into a different building with kids from different neighborhoods than mine . I limped all summer because it hurt so bad, I was finally just barely limping at the end of summer when I went into junior high as they called it then. My other friend who I used to ride bikes with, kids me to this day about my bicycle riding, and how I had gotten so I wouldn't even get on the thing. Every once in a while she and I laugh about my bicycle clumsiness to this day. No helmets to wear back then either. I don't know how kids stand to wear helmets when riding bikes or skating here now in the heat of summer. but they are sure safer if they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I would never picture you as a skateboarder. But, weren't we all different? I would ride my bike all day long if given the chance. My worst fall was when I was six and fell on big gravel. It hurt so bad that I left my bike in the street and went home crying. I actually don't remember ever falling other than the year I quit riding my bike. I was about 37 and tried to get on my bike and fell around in the carport behind the car. I never actually got on or rode, I just kept stumbling on top of the bike. That hurt because I fell onto a concrete wall around the carport. A little while later, my bike broke and I just quit for good!

      Delete
  4. Just sending you a hug and I understand!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Somehow your comment disappeared as I scrolled. What was the rant about how I talked about my hairdresser all about?

      Delete
  5. I think it's admirable you tried to help. I'm sorry she was unable to appreciate it.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sassybear,
      I think her problems were beyond what our friendship could solve.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...