Friday, October 21, 2022

Friday This and That

 We drove about 50 miles up the interstate today. We have been looking for changing leaves. One tree had brilliant red leaves. A couple of other trees were sort of reddish. Most trees were still fully green and a few had sort of faded to a lighter shade of green. Maybe later leaves will turn more.

Today, I was still feeling the effects of the trauma Thursday evening. I was up most of the night with a distressed colon. However, one must carry on. We went out to fix the problem. But, that went South. So, I will relate it later.

A few days ago, I lost my debit card somewhere on the premises. Well, it might be in the trash. If I order a new one, my number will change and auto payments will fail. The other choice was driving to the bank where they would print me a new card. 

We left a food giveaway and drove straight to my bank in Cullman. We arrived, sat in drive-through, and got the card and left, driving straight home. It was a long grueling drive and I just rode! When we got home, we shared it with a friend who was not well enough to go. 

On Thursday, an ebay package was delivered. As Tommy went to the mailbox, the postman got out with a package. I knew I had not ordered anything from ebay! It turns out it was ice trays, three of them with a piece of plastic to put between to keep them from falling into the one below. Well, I washed them and put one in the big freezer. I did not fill them all the way, but still the cubes will be larger than those made in regular trays. In a few minutes, I will have a glass of unsweetened, decaffeinated, iced tea. I am so happy. Thanks, Janet. This made my day and life better. 

I was desperate for ice and tea, so I may or may not have put the partially filled ice tray in the freezer on a slant--just doing the best I can at the moment. If it happened to slip and spill a bit, it is just water! This is an attempt to go zero Coke. 

It is 8 pm, and I have not had dinner, so I need to go and microwave chicken tenders, potatoes, and carrots. I had a bowl of cereal about 6 pm and I may have the energy to run the microwave now. Then, I will freeze some of the 12 drumsticks I baked last night. 

The weather is forecast for 50s, so the freezing weather is gone. The geraniums look dead. I am not sure how long they will last in cold weather, but these looked done for until a new green leaf came out today. 

Tonight, Tommy said, "I notice the counter is getting clearer." That was gratifying. Every time I go into the kitchen or at least a few times a day, I put something up or throw it out. 

Do you have to have iced tea, no sugar? How do you take your tea? Are the trees turning in your area? 


19 comments:

  1. Always sweet tea for me. I am not crazy about ice, lot of dental work. The trees here have not started change yet or drop any leafs. Losing a card is a nightmare, like you, the pain is having to go change everything on autopay.

    Sorry you are still feeling unwell, drink a lot of fluid and try to eat. Sleep as much as you can, you will better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      That is why I decided driving 50 miles and straight back was the easier option. Tommy did, too.
      I am doing all that. Bedtime tonight is midnight because I have to get up early in the morning.

      Delete
  2. I love Autumn, its so pretty with all the different leaves falling. I drink tea all day long, mostly herbal tea though or black with soy milk. We buy bags of ice for the freezer. I got sick and tired of no-one filling up the ice cube trays but me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Fall is especially pretty and magical. Do you drink cold tea with milk? That is annoying not having trays filled! I lived alone for 40 years, so that was all on me and trays were filled! Tommy does not like ice in tea or anything until he gets it!

      Delete
    2. I do drink cold tea, but not with milk, cold herbal tea is quite nice.

      Delete
    3. Jan,
      I wondered since I have never heard of milk in cold tea.

      Delete
  3. The trees are becoming beautiful here. Still some green, but many, many colors as well.
    Sweet iced tea for me. Can't do unsweet. I use sweetener - not sugar. That and Kool-Aid is what I grew up with. Mom always had tea in the frig.
    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I love the taste of plain tea, nothing, no flavors. Refrigerated tea is nasty to me. I have a package of KoolAid ready to make and use Swerve to sweeten it. I know it is a little late for KA, but it has been here while I was just too ill to wash the new pitcher.

      Delete
  4. I did not know the bank could issue a new card with the same number! Having to change auto pays is such a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      If they send off for it, I get a different number. If they do it at the branch, I get the same number. I had no idea this was possible. I hate changing auto pay, too.

      Delete
  5. The trees here are turning and are beautiful. We were in Maine 2 weeks ago and the pockets of color were marvelous! Bright red, orange, and yellow! It was so nice to see.

    I drink an herbal tea mix that I cold brew right in the pitcher:
    2 kinds of herbal (orange and red zinger are my favorites)
    green tea (for the health benefits)
    black tea (to give it some backbone -- regular or decaf)

    I fill the 2 quart pitcher, add the tea bags (removing strings/labels), and 8 hours later I have delicious tea that does not need sugar. I add a slice of citrus if I am feeling fancy.

    Apologies to all you Southerners, but I detest sweet tea. It tastes like cigarettes soaked in a cup of water with a pound of sugar added. Barf!

    If I drink hot tea it is Earl Grey, plain. I also love the black tea you get at Chinese restaurants. I don't know what kind it is but I could drink that stuff by the gallon! It's probably cheap crap that costs 10 cents for 100 bags. LOL! But dang, it's good.

    Funny but my son just lost his debit card. He hated going to the bank, too. ;^) ;^)

    Linda, I found a place where you can order clip-on sunglasses to fit your frames. I have very unusual glasses and was able to find a decent fit. They don't have to fit perfectly to work, just pretty near. They have templates that you print out and you hold your glasses against the printed image to see what size works. No sending your glasses away to a lab for custom work!

    I can't tell you how good they are yet, but I will report back when mine come in.

    coocoonseyewear.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Hopefully, we will have a moderate leaf display sooner or later this year.
      You don't have to apologize to me because I hate sweet tea with a passion. Of course, I detest hot tea!
      I will wait to see how you like the clip-ons. There will be no mailing away of my glasses. I don't even leave them at dr office for any reason.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that the ice trays pleased you!
    I don't use much ice, but my son does. I have a metal insulated cup that keeps things cold for a very long time. As I drink my water I can refill it several using the same 3 ice cubes all day.

    Last night I spilled all 3 trays while opening the freezer. I had changed my sheets and they were waiting for the washer. I used them to blot up the water. I have no memory of refilling those trays. HA HA in the morning I will go out and see if the trays are empty or filled.
    I had a day yesterday where my legs were having spasms and were quite painful. I took some Tylenol and a muscle relaxer. The cat and I napped most of the day. I suspect the leg pain was caused by a bit of dehydration along with my poor diet of late. I don't have much interest in cooking for just myself (my son is rarely home) I have been having Chinese chicken salad quite often. I have broccoli to roast and add to pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you just hate it when things like that happen? At least you had something to clean up all the water. That cup sounds like a handy thing to have around. Ice cubes are so wonderful!

      I have had little spasm in my legs, too. I cannot imagine why. Maybe it is dehydration, but I am usually well-hydrated. Feed yourself! I never heard of roasted broccoli in pasta. It does sound good. What is in Chinese chicken salad?

      Delete
    2. Well sure enough the trays were empty!

      I do a very simple version of Chinese chicken. I use a bag of an Asian chopped salad, It is mostly cabbage that comes with an Asian flavored dressing, some toasted almonds and some wonton noodles. I add scallions, celery, sunflower seeds and of course chicken. Lately I have been buying the rotisserie chicken from Costco. At $4.99 it is a real bargain!

      There are many recipes on line but they are basically for the Asian style dressing. My wife-in-law (my other husband's wife) makes one that I really like that uses a package of Ramen broken up into it then refrigerated until ready to serve.

      Delete
  7. I prefer sweetened tea, Jeffrey likes it unsweetened. Our yard was leaf free and green until Saturday, then it's like the tress just suddenly dumped all their leaves over night. Our yard is a beautiful sheet of burgundy right now.

    Sassybear
    https://idleeyesandadormy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sassybear,
      I am glad you don't use sugar. That is amazing how your leaves all fell at once. They could have fallen over two weeks time, making it necessary to rake leaves all the time. It sounds pretty.

      Delete
  8. For years I drank decaf tea sweetened with Splenda. But then I got back in the habit of donating blood and was not eligible more than once for the iron count. A nurse asked me one time if I drank tea. I said yes, a lot! She said that tea prevents the absorption of iron in the body and that was likely causing my low counts. I essentially gave it up at that point. I only drink a glass of tea maybe once a month now. I have my coffee in the mornings and water the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Wow! I have never heard of this. When, I had ice cubes, I drank a dozen glasses of tea most days. I do drink very weak tea, so maybe it won't hurt me so much.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...