Thursday, October 27, 2022

More Salvation Army

 On Wednesday night, I slept a whole 8.5 hours. As usual, though, I felt groggy and miserable for an hour or so. This is just how I feel every morning, no matter how much sleep I get. 

About ten-thirty when Tommy was emptying the garbage, I realized I have not stuck my nose outdoors all day. I did take a two-hour nap. That would have been when we go out for our ride and dose of outdoors. 

I looked at the Salvation Army receipt and realized the basket was only $1.99. It really was a good deal. 

When we were checking out, I noticed the little screen on the card reader on the counter. There was an amount on the "round up" line. I never round up and neither does Tommy. So, I commented to Tommy, "Why did you authorize the round up amount? He said he did not. I asked the already grumpy old man if this was automatic. He got very defensive and said he would give me two pennies. In a few minutes, he dropped two pennies on the counter. His whole attitude before this was really mean. He added a bit of condescension and insult in the way he took two cents out of his pocket and tossed them onto the counter. 

Now, this was well into the complaints against us about being at the wrong register and line. So, I did not cause his bad mood as a reaction. 

I resent businesses asking me aloud at the register if I want to donate. Dollar General supports GED heavily and always ask for a donation.  When I went in there more often, I was asked this. I tutored people needing to study for their Ged for free and advertised it that way. So, I am not against donating, just not trying to extort money at the register! I am supposed to capitulate to extortion to keep from being embarrassed? 

Tonight, we had hamburger sans bun. I had cheese on mine. Plus, we ate tomato and green beans. I think these are some of the best tomatoes I have ever eaten. I suppose no one at the market will have any next time we go. 

We shared a really large tomato that I slice stem to blossom end. I notice seeds and asked Tommy if he wanted me to remove them since he scrapes them out and leaves them on his plate. He said to just throw them out. Well, I took a small bowl and a spoon, scraping all the seeds and the slimy stuff into the bowl. Tommy watched. I took the bowl of goodness and slurped it out right at the sink. Yes, I know it is barbaric to slurp so, but it was delicious.

How do you feel about the "round up" at the register? Do you ever slurp up tasty bits of food?

22 comments:

  1. I am not offended by the round up option and do it if it is going to a charity I support. I also do not mind being asked for a donation. Publix does it all the time. We generally donate once to whatever charity event they are collecting for, and every other time we are there (during the particular event) we simply tell them we have already donated.
    I never feel obligated to donate outside of what my personal moral compass demands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      They ask for the donation to force people into donating. That I do mind. No, I do not donate just because I am asked.

      Delete
  2. I don’t round up at the register either. It puts me on the spot when they ask because that isn’t why I’m there. Taco Bell does it often. We do donate in other ways though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Yes, they do put a person on the spot. I resent that for everyone.

      Delete
  3. I do not mind them asking for donations - I can always say no. It is totally up to me - and as I notice - most people do say no. I will donate what I want and when I want - no pressure. I don't think they are trying to force people into donating - those cashiers probably hate asking - just part of the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Corporate is definitely trying to get donations they otherwise would not get. I do not blame the cashiers at all.

      Delete
  4. I prefer to do my own donations rather than giving it to a company who donates on my behalf and then gets the tax deduction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie,
      Exactly! They get the credit and tax deduction. I often wonder how much actually goes to charity.

      Delete
  5. I just say yes or no, depending on what it's for. I more say no, because we do our own charitable giving and don't need a store to do it for me, and could care less if anyone hears me decline or not. Like Anne, I give if moved to, but never feel obligated or forced. It's just the workers requirement to ask, so I'm certainly not going to be mad at them. Well, if they're a grumpy ass maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Oh, I do always so no. I do not feel obligated or forced at all. But, that is what they are trying to do. I see so many people who do donate. I do understand the workers are required to ask. I am not writing because cashiers are being pushy. lol If the conveyor belt is clean, they can be grumpy.

      Delete
  6. I look at round-ups as a way for ME to pay to make the corporation's tax burden lower, so I *always* say no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I never thought of it exactly that way. But, you are correct.

      Delete
    2. me too. I don't feel the least bit embarrassed or bad about it, either

      Delete
    3. obscure,
      Good, there is no need to feel embarrassed for any of us.

      Delete
  7. It doesn't bother me to say no. I consider it just another version of "Do you want fries with that?" I'm sure the workers hate asking, too. It forces them to do something that shouldn't be part of their job! Since when is solicitation part of cashiering? And I hate that it sets them up for abuse from cranky customers. Like their job dealing with the public isn't already hard enough!

    So I just brightly say "No, thank you!" with a smile. And call it good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Don't get me wrong, I do not mind saying no at all. And, I am not cranky. I have to admit though, that I do not say it with a smile...lol.

      Delete
    2. I didn't mean YOU when I wrote "cranky customers" Linda! Not for one second!

      I meant people who make a habit of taking out their frustrations on service people. You know, like the grouch who complains about rising prices to the cashier--like the cashier has any say in it. Or the crank who pays for the gas and tells the attendant, "You must be rolling in the dough, the prices you charge!"

      One thing that really chaps MY ass is when I am trying to pay for food at a take-out place with a credit card and the machine asks me to approve an 18% tip. For takeout?!? Are they joking??

      I find that particular "solicitation" absolutely infuriating. I will tip what I deem appropriate. Shove that 18% tip "suggestion"--for merely handing me my food--straight up your !#%*@!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I can get cranky when I see a checker mishandling my bananas, especially when I just asked the checker to be gentle with the bananas. On checker said, okay, and then put the bananas inside a bag with a gallon of milk. When I objected, he pointed out the bananas were on the side, not underneath. Stupid little jerk. That is the one thing that annoys me.
      Nowadays, checkers are appalled at the price of groceries, too.
      I have never had a suggested gratuity on a cc card machine. It will probably happen, sooner or later.

      Delete
  8. At Dollar store they used to always ask for donations for GED. I told them. No, sorry I can't. I already donate my time several hours a week by tutoring adult English as Second Language students . That was several years ago. In the social climate we have now I would probably have been run out of there on a rail by saying the words English as a Second Language to adults. Americans often took that phrase to mean that English as a Second language meant that English was less important than the language the students already spoke. Other phrases are used for that now. I don't worry about it now because I no longer tutor, and if I did, I would need a little payment for it.

    I wonder if the corporation who owned Dollar store got a tax break for the GED money they collected and donated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. susie,
      I never thought about that phrase meaning English was lesser than! Dollar General, from what i have heard are very active with GED. I am not sure what their profit is in all this.

      I wish I could still tutor! I would do it for free for some students, just like I always did. Of course, I did charge other students.

      Delete
  9. What I don't like about the round up question is that you KNOW the company is going to say, "Look what WE donated!" But it wasn't THEIR donation, it was MINE!

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...