Sunday, October 30, 2022

Sunday, The Day Before

 We did nothing except watch TV, some of it news. Meet the Press is my favorite Sunday show, but I missed half of it because I was sleeping. I only had four hours sleep, so I took a nap in the afternoon. 

We went nowhere, did nothing, not even dishes that needed to be washed or put in the dishwasher.  Tonight, I will gather my laundry so Tommy can wash that on Monday. The kitchen items need to go in another load. 

We used the last paper plate today. So, Tommy had to use a real plate for dinner. I suppose I can be really slow in buying more paper plates. Maybe he will become accustomed to not reaching for paper. If I just buy the little paper saucers, we can have convenience but use plates for meals. However, he has lots of saucers we could use. 

The eating and serving of dinner took about two hours or more tonight. I had put in a teriyaki seasoned pork loin about 7:30. Around 7:45, I finished cleaning, trimming and oiling sweet potatoes and asked Tommy to put them in the oven. I was sitting in the living room. At 8:30 he said isn't about time to put the sweet potatoes in the oven. I was aghast and we argued. He said I told him to put them on the counter, that I would put them in later. No, I asked him to put the sweet potatoes, already on a baking sheet in the oven and to put the tiny bowl of oil sitting on the sheet by the sink and I would put it in the sink later. 

At 8:45, he put the sweet potatoes in the oven. I got up, sliced the pork loin and drained green beans that were soaking in water to remove sodium. So, we had a delicious first course of pork loin and green beans and an equally delicious second course of sweet potatoes. 

Even though I had just taken the sweet potatoes from the oven, Tommy had to microwave his so the butter would melt. I could barely get the skin from the sweet potato without burning myself. I slit the skin and sort of roll the sweet potato out of the skin. 

The man has a thing about hot food and the microwave. He must have everything freshly microwaved so everything on the plate is the same piping-hot temperature. I am not sure how he manages to eat in restaurants and especially church dinners or potlucks anywhere. He even microwaved the pork loin that was hot from the oven! 

The leftover pork loin and two sweet potatoes will be dinner for Monday along with another vegetable or two. 

It is good that it will not rain here on Halloween night. Kids don't need to deal with the rain. They need to show off their costumes...lol. Plus, it will be safer and lighter. Around here, kids start making the rounds about 4 pm. 

Lynda wants to hand out candy, but she said the boys were big and rough looking. She said she knows one could knock her over easily. She is frail looking. 

So far, we have not bought any Halloween candy. I would have liked some Brach's Candy Corn, but there is too much candy in each bag. Maybe I will buy some on sale, get a little out and give away the rest. A bag of fun size or smaller of candy bars would have been delicious. Oh well.

Will the weather be pretty for Trick or Treating at your place? 

Do you know anyone who uses the microwave excessively? Is sort of warm good enough for you to eat? It is for me. 

10 comments:

  1. Not hardly any kids around here anymore. I quit doing Trick or Treat last year - just too scary being alone.
    I could never ever eat that late at night. I would be up all night long. I don't want my food so hot it burns my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Since there is not one light on this house outside, we won't be having Trick or Treat, either! No one would come even if we were willing. Besides, as you say, it is scary. Even though there are two of us, neither is able to even shut the door quickly or with force.

      I hate eating that late. But, he wants to eat at 7:30, and by that time, I just want to quit for the day. If I had my druthers, I would eat no later than 5:30, but he says that is too early. It does not keep either of us up. I know, food microwaved for three minutes is scalding, dried up and not so tasty anymore. When I have burned off my taste buds, food is not satisfying.

      Delete
  2. Last year we only had one trick-or-treater. It was so sad! We have bought Halloween candy and made 20 treat bags, with some left over "just in case." We'll see how it goes this year--the neighborhood has had a lot of turnover and younger families have come in. The weather will be clear but quite chilly (upper 40's) so I don't think weather will deter anyone.

    I did go a bit overboard when I discovered my husband bought a bag of mini Snickers. I calmed down about a week ago and haven't had any since. I can resist almost any candy (even Twix!) but Snickers are my downfall.

    We have always really enjoyed Halloween at this house. We used to decorate lavishly and host lawn parties (think tailgate, except on the front lawn!) replete with food and drinks and a bonfire off to the side. It was so much fun! It's nice to think back on those days.

    Happy Halloween to you and Tommy, Linda--and to all your readers. May your day be full of treats with no tricks! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Only one trick-or-treater would be sad. Maybe things will pick up this year. I prefer Milky Way but would never turn down a Snicker.
      That sounds like a fun party at Halloween. You really did it up right.
      Oh, I am hoping for no tricks at all. My wish for you is a fun day and evening, too.

      Delete
  3. My husband wants his hot food to be hot as lava! And if it's supposed to be cold, he wants it SUPER cold. He used to keep a metal cup in the freezer for if he ever drank milk. Many times, while cooking supper, he'll put his drink in the freezer so it will be extra cold when it's time to eat.

    There's a 20% chance of rain here in south central Kentucky today. But I think it already rained this morning, so maybe this evening will be fine. We've bought about 500 pieces of candy and will hand out at our church trunk or treat tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      OMG another one! Tommy does not have that obsession with cold, thankfully. Hot as lava is not a problem, but microwaved to death does not seem right to me. I never let him microwave anything for me since one minute is fine most of the time, whereas he never microwaves anything for less than three minutes. The cup in the freezer for milk sounds great to me, but it is not so important. I had a stainless steel cup that I loved to use for milk, but the milk seemed extra cold even if the cup was not. I need to get another one.

      That is a lot of candy! I hope the weather is dry.

      Delete
  4. My mother always said, "Hot food should be served hot, cold food served cold." But, she never had a microwave. I like my food to be hot, but not so hot I can't eat it. I let a roast sit for about 15 minutes before carving. As for the microwave, I NEVER use it. I can't bear the taste of things which have been microwaved. I use the oven to reheat things. My new oven has a built-in air fryer, which is great. I do buy a few frozen items like taquitos and French fries, and the kids claim the air fryer results are worth "the extra 8 minutes."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your mother. But, the pork loin was still sitting on the pan and on top of the still hot stove. I usually don't leave food on top of the stove because the still-hot oven can dry it out. You have a great stove! Your kids have to wait a whole "extra 8 minutes?" That is funny.
      Most things cooked or reheated in the microwave are dry, tough, leathery. I prefer to heat my food to just barely warm and still palatable.

      Delete
  5. I like food to be hot but not so it burns the mouth. I do eat some things at the wrong temperature: cold quiche or cold pizza are fine by me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I think most people are that way. I can eat a bowl of room temperature beans and like them. Cold pizza is great!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...