Monday, October 31, 2022

Halloween

 


This was on my Halloween treat table outdoors one year. I took this picture and won third place in the fair competition.

We did nothing all day except laundry. Tommy did two loads for himself and one for me. So, now I have panties to hang and towels to fold. He washes all his together, no separate loads. But, he had a sheet to wash. 

I only had cereal for a very late breakfast. However, I was not hungry the rest of the day. Sometimes, I just don't get hungry and sometimes I am famished. 

We went about 5:15 to the grocery for Tommy to get bread and bananas. It is fun to sit outside Publix and watch the children in their costumes, proud-looking, perky, looking very happy. I took a picture of my favorite employee in his very fancy kilt and jacket and knee socks. I had him go back in and show Tommy, telling him he was Scottish, too, and has a kilt. Then, Tommy took my camera back in and got a picture. 

So, that is our Halloween! Boo!

We retrieved a pink bag with ads and barely got home before dark. I don't like to be out with children about. I certainly don't want Tommy driving around children going from door to door. 

Tommy was supposed to get Brach's Candy Corn for me, but he said there w as no Brach's and no candy corn. So, he brought me Lindt Lindor Chocolate Truffles. Of course, I love chocolate and did not object. But, I wanted candy corn. Maybe tomorrow, I might catch some on sale. Maybe I should stay out of the stores. But, I have two returns I want to get rid of right now. 

I suppose if I complain enough, Amazon drivers will put packages where we can reach them. There was a package at the left of the door, like I have requested many times. Occasionally, I purchase a Oui yogurt. Now, I have lids to make them reusable for leftovers or whatever. 

Tonight, dinner will be leftovers--sweet potatoes, pork loin, potatoes, and carrots. No, we are not really having two potatoes and two orange vegetables. Tommy will choose what he wants. 

The weather is great--66F and dry at 7 pm. However, we saw no children out earlier or at almost dark. So, I wonder if all children are going to church or school sponsored carnivals or trunk or treat events. 

My children were wild about school carnivals. Daughter and I loved Bingo. Son hated Bingo because he said he never won. However, he won 7 cakes in the cakewalk. We gave most of them away before we left the building. I think we kept two. Littlest, a daughter, just stayed close to Mama. 

This is the second post I have posted today. Tonight, we are watching Bride of Frankenstein, Son of Frankenstein, and Frankenstein. 

8 comments:

  1. Well, the evening ended with 15 trick-or-treaters. Most of them were middle school age. Still very cute and bouncy and full of life, and excited to be roaming and foraging for candy in the dark with their friends on a surprisingly warm night. Ah, youth!

    I enjoy all the trick-or-treaters; from the cute babies who aren't allowed to eat what they collect to the high schoolers who can't be bothered with costumes but would still like some candy, please and thank you. All are welcome!

    DH worried and fretted and fussed that we needed MORE CANDY, that it was going to be a nice evening and the kids would be out in droves and it would be HORRIBLE, JUST HORRIBLE if we ran out, but he couldn't get away from his desk (he works from home) and he REALLY REALLY REALLY felt we should have more candy! All his way of telling me I needed to go buy more candy. NOW.

    So I went out and bought $25 more worth of candy. Around here, it's nigh well impossible to find Halloween candy on Halloween day. It's all been sold out for at least a week. But I went to an out-of-the-way convenience store and found some.

    And of course, it went unused. What I would really like to do is have a bit of revenge and arrange it all beautifully in a gallon glass jar and put it in his office so that he nibbles on it all day every day and gains 10 pounds.

    But that would be unwifely and unkind (although it would be just desserts!) so I am going to pack it off to the food shelter tomorrow. Folks that need help deserve a little sweetneess in their lives along with the rice, flour, and oatmeal.

    So I may think mean thoughts but I perform kiind deeds. I'd say that's a pretty good summary of my personality right there. The angel and the devil on my shoulders are always battling it out over the dumbest things!

    I noticed that "Young Frankenstein" was not on your movie list, Linda. If I were at your place we'd watch it and cackle our heads off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I, too, have a rich fantasy life but never carry through on my thoughts. That is a lot of extra candy, but people lacking in funds for food do need candy!

      It was good he was concerned that the kids would not have candy. Watch, next year you will not get much candy because of this year. Then, you will have hordes of kids.

      Delete
  2. PS: That is a very artsy photo you made. I'm not surprised it won a prize. I see ghosts in the dripping wax. Maybe the judges did, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks. First and second place were pictures of stores constructed to look old and had reproduction product signs all over them. Pooh! I composed this myself and worked to take the perfect picture. Yes, I see the ghosts. lol

      Delete
  3. For both your and Tommy's safety, a d for anyone that might need to stop and help you, I highly think you need to get some lights outside. I know this was t part of your post but your comment on mine. Perhaps the next two me the missionary young men help you could prioritize that. While you say you don't leave in the dark, circumstances could require it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      You are preaching to the choir. Tommy vehemently refuses. The missionaries said they would return but have never even returned a call. They said they would replace items in shelves, so those boxes sit in the floor! Besides, I don't think they are allowed to do electrical work.
      Inside the house, only two rooms have working overhead lights! I know two light fixtures do not work. However, I am not sure about the others. I cannot safely climb on a ladder, nor can he.

      Delete
  4. For about 30 years, my youngest son and/or husband would hand out candy while I stayed in the house with the dogs. This year, I joined hubby outside while middle son, and his wife took the kids around our neighborhood. We only have 1 hour, from 6 to 7 and tons of kids. by 6:19 we had handed out 100 small bags of chips! What fun it was to see the little ones, they were so excited. We had about 200 kids, down from the 250 we had last year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      That was a busy time at your house! Amazing! That sounded like fun. Did you wear a costume?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...