Monday, December 26, 2022

Monday Christmas Talk, Sales & Next Year

 Christmas Day went well! I knew it would. However, due to sleep issues and dogs barking for a long time well before 6 am and right outside my window, I did not go to sleep until 8 am. So, it was about 2 pm or later when I got up, finally. 

I ate a hearty and late meal. Can brunch come after breakfast and lunch? Chicken sandwich on keto bread with MW, lettuce and cheese, chocolates and halo. 

I gave Tommy a tiny flashlight that he seemed to really like and a headlamp and one for me...lol. I still cannot find the other flashlight I want for him. It will sit up and point to the side, so he can see when he puts it down. I had already gotten the first light for me, too, tiny and strong light. 

He gave me a $50 Belk gift card, just what I wanted and a bag of Lindt Lindor Dark Truffles. He knows I love these. 

Christmas Day, we watched The Santa Clause, Santa Clause 2, and Santa Clause 3. I really loved these and had not seen either of them, before. The little boy in the original looked just like my son--his hair facial features, and the fact he had a pretty cry. My son was a pretty crier. Even in the second one, Charlie still looked like my son in that his hair was coarse, shiny, and thick, full lips, heavy brows. It was amazing. All three movies were great! Now, both the Home Alone movies are coming on.  But, since we have seen those, we don't worry about missing a word. We say the lines with the characters often! 

Dinner is almost done. The only thing not done is the gravy, but the hard-boiled eggs are ready for the gravy which will be tomorrow with the leftovers. Dinner: turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potato. Tomorrow, I will make the green bean casserole that I forgot and gravy for the rest of the leftovers.

When I made the cranberry sauce, I used Ocean Spray cranberries, 1c water, and 1/2 cup of sugar. The recipe called for a whole cup, but half a cup was fine. Next time, I might use less than the bag said. 

Christmas Eve, Lynda woke to water in her kitchen, coming from the direction of the refrigerator. After some mopping and many calls to plumbers, she finally found a plumber who insisted on coming out right then, late afternoon, and seeing what was happening. 

He decided he would have to come back Monday, but then took a look at the refrigerator. It was a broken line to the icemaker. She will do without that. But, the problem is solved except for the soaked carpet! It is still wet on Christmas Day, but she used the suction function of the carpet cleaner and got some water from the rug. She has a space heater in there to help dry the carpet. She had to spend $200 on Christmas Eve. 

The wreath never made it to the door because somehow the big red bell fell off and Tommy did not see where it fell when he brought it in. So, it is hanging on the inside of the front door.  Just now, I see the Home Alone house has a wreath on the inside of the door as well as outside. So, maybe that is a thing?  We never found the ornaments for the tree, so it still has only lights. However, that is not a problem. There is lots of light and decoration in the living room. 

Sunday night, once again I could not sleep. I had told Tommy to wake me at 11 am to go out. I normally would have wanted to get out shopping earlier on Christmas day after sales, but we did not want to leave the house before the temperature was at least 32F or above. 

Consequently, the stores were packed and all I might have found was gone. I wanted a few things specifically, like curling ribbon. I did make a few purchases, nothing related to Christmas. A box of 12 wrapped Cella chocolate covered cherries was $1.64--got two boxes. 

Silly me had Tommy return something. I forgot that there would be a long line. But, he said there were only 10 people ahead of him. That was only because it was late in the afternoon. When I went to see what took so long, there were about 15 people behind him. 

Hopefully, I will be able to sleep better tonight. Tomorrow should be warmer, Tommy can take the light out of the washing machine and wash my clothing! I finally have two loads ready. One  "load"is my two red blouses. 

We may have broken out of something, some attitude. I want to invite Tommy's cousin here for lunch and Tommy said, "Yes." So, every day we are improving on the condition of the living room and keeping it uncluttered. There was still a bit of clutter when Lynda came over. His cousin takes us to Bright Star where he loves to eat, but I am not going out to dinner until some of my health problems are resolved. 

I have been thinking about next year. I am not trying to rush 2022 out the door. Mostly, my plans revolve around health. But, I have two larger items I want to buy, so I need a way to fund those. I am working it all out in my head. I will discuss next year later this week.

Dinner: turkey breast, plain baked sweet potato, green bean casserole, halo. Later, I will eat half an apple. 

What did you get at the post-Christmas sales today? Did you look for something and fail to find it? 

14 comments:

  1. Nope, did not even go out and look. I will wait until late until the things I need go on clearance. I ususally get good deals on house shoes, robes and pajamas later in January at 75% off. I will also look for sweats and coats/jackets about that time. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss but ususally find something for next winter.

    I find that is also a good time to pick up blanket, sheets, pillows and comforters. After the first of January, around here, they do the clearance thing bit time.

    I did have to go to the drug store Christmas eve. They already had decorations and such 50%, but not those darn cherries, so none came home with me.

    I am glad you had a happy holiday with lots of goodies to enjoy. Let me know if you see good sales. Helps me to keep up as I do not go out to often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nightgowns I wanted were already gone. I do have my eye on sheets that are on sale now. I will look later for more winter wear reduced.
      I need a blanket. But, eBay is where I will look first. I want a wool one.
      The good cherries are too expensive in the drugstore!
      The one good sale I know of right now is Ziploc storage and freezer bags with Christmas/Holiday designs. I got them at WM years ago. Now, I get them at Publix.
      Even if WM does not have them officially reduced and on a clearance shelf, check the price. I have gotten them off the regular shelves and gotten them half price. Publix put them on a clearance rack. When they were gone on the rack, the ones still in the aisle where they had been with the regular wrap were all reduced anyway.
      It was a very good Christmas.

      Delete
  2. I never go shopping the day after Christmas. I don't really need anything anyway, but if I happen on a seriously good deal in the next week or so I might grab it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I needed to get things I did not expect to be on sale. I got those. The only thing I wanted marked down was curling ribbon, a 3-foot tree, and fairy lights. I have no idea why I thought those things would be on sale since I could not find them before Christmas. Even at two in the afternoon, it was just too crowded.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a nice Christmas!
    Never even thought about going out for sales or shopping. I stayed home and relaxed. My neighbor called Monday night and said something about going to sales - the first I even thought about it. Nothing at all I need and I care NOT to go deal with all the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      This was not a mad frenzy at all and purpose driven. The day I don't even know people go shopping the day after Christmas, is the day they can just declare me as having dementia...lol. I was in the store for thirty minutes.

      Delete
  4. We call our meal times breakfast, lunch and supper. So, we say for the in-between meal times brunch, (breakfast/lunch) which is what you have said, and is a more common word, and lupper (lunch/ supper)! Ha, ha! We enjoy the silliness of the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn,
      I never heard of lupper, but I have heard of linner. Thanks for a new word for me.

      Delete
  5. No buying for me - I don't want to purchase nothing for some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not out just to purpose, but for specific items. I do have my Belk's gift to spend.

      Delete
  6. Hubby and I somehow ended up spending more on the 26th than we did for Christmas. I went looking for ribbon and gift bags, and got a good deal on what I found. He found some Christmas lights that he wanted and were 50% off.

    He bought me a pair of shoes that I have been looking at / considering for a few months and they were quite expensive, but they are literally the best shoes I've ever had on my feet. I bought him a nice jacket - he's been looking for a similar one for maybe two years. It's hard to pass up something like that when he's been looking for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I found more Christmas on sale today that I bought.
      When things have been on the radar for months or years, they are things that need to be bought! What kind of shoes did you get? I am always on the lookout for good brands.

      Delete
    2. The brand I had been looking for was On [ on-running.com ] so we went to a store I knew had them. A few friends of mine have them, and I have seen a few doctors and nurses with them. I've asked each person how they liked them and had received lots of favorable comments. However, once at the store, the owner asked me several questions and based on my answers, he said I would probably like Hoka better. He brought both out and I tried the Hoka first and LOVED IT. I went ahead and tried the On shoe, but there was literally no comparison. I have high arches and have been dealing with a bit of heal pain that he said was likely the beginnings of plantar fasciitis. I've work the Hokas for two days in a row and have had zero pain. The $170 price tag is ultimately worth it considering the zero pain I've experienced.

      Delete
    3. Interesting! Thanks. I have heel pain that the podiatrist thinks is pantar fasciitis. Hope not. I will check this out.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...