Thursday, December 22, 2022

Our Tiny Little One-Guest "Party"

 The trip to the store on Wednesday hurt the wallet since I had Christmas napkins that could not be found. I didn't look hard and Tommy overlooks things. So, probably right here under our noses. I will save them until next Christmas! 

We had to go to Publix and to Walgreen's to get a med I had requested from several doctores for a week. New family doctor was gone for two weeks I found out after much frustration. Why doesn't the office staff say he is not in instead of letting me think he is getting a message?

We sat in line at the pharmacy for an hour. Okay, it was only 55 minutes. Still! When we got to the window, the pharmacy had the same wrong prescription I was offered two days before. Then, they had to get it out and read directions to finally believe me that it was in the wrong form. The pharmacist, not a tech, said I would have to "walk in." I yelled through the window I could not. He then told me drive around and he would have the right med for me when I got back around. I refused and told him there were only four cars ahead of us and no one drove around. They just waited, and I was waiting, too. 

The man had a phone to his ear, but he could not hear us and we could not hear him except through the window glass since something was wrong with their phone to the outside. So, we yelled back and forth-so annoying. We finally left without the med.

So, we got home around 5 pm and company is coming at 6 pm! I had to shred cheese and Tommy had to mix cheese, sausage, and Bisquick. It was touch and go. I never got dressed in my finery, had not gotten ready at all. The plan was to wear full makeup for the first time in three years. He did, changed into a green shirt. 

I told Tommy we would have to work one at a time in the kitchen and the other sit to entertain. I cut a piece of fabric that had sequins on it and put it on the two small table in the living room. I put food on these. It was quite a festive look. I did not make rows of tidbits on the glass tree plate, just put tomatoes, cherries, red grapes and cheese squares. On the other table, I put two goat cheeses--sundried tomato and herbs/garlic. Wheat Thins were nearby. A dish had kisses and Hershey's Miniatures. The dozen or so sausage balls burned to a crisp, but I did not put in a second batch. 

It took Tommy 30 minutes to slice enough ham for three sandwiches on rye. I made the sandwiches right on my lap in the living room. It worked and no one wanted another. I had another dish of chocolate covered cherries-Cella and the whole box of Russell Stover chocolate candies, forgot what. My thrift store silver dish had pecans. 

At the thrift store three years ago, I had bought three little tree dishes, about 6-7 inches long. They worked for the candy. 

S Rosen rye bread is tiny, perfect for party-sized sandwiches. As it turned out, Lynda loves rye bread. Oh, I bought leaf lettuce since I love the ruffly leaves and was going to use them on the party Christmas plate of foods. Didn't happen.

I bought a 24 ounce bottle of Welch's Sparkling Sangria, non-alcoholic, and Seven Up. We drank it straight or with Seven UP. Lynda was glad I did not buy wine. Since neither Tommy nor I wanted wine and she did not, this worked. It was festive, not just another day with a Coke.

The spreaders, cocktail forks, tongs and spoons worked fine. So did the frilly toothpicks. I am prepared for occasions from now to eternity! Lynda stayed from 6-8:45 pm. 

We gave her a red Hershey's Kiss with fairy lights and silver kisses inside. She was thrilled. She gave each of us handwarmer muffs. I had seen these lots of places and thought it was a good idea. She complains about her feet being cold, so I told her to get one of these for each foot. I had two dog toys for her dog but could only find one. She said the dog loves to toss them and try to catch them. Good. 

We laughed lots. I finally put on lipstick and my necklace and bracelets and just wore the red blouse I had on all day. Lynda was very festively dressed. The lengthy Walgreen's stay took up the time we had to finish getting things ready. 

The dip did not get made, but there was little to dip. I just did not put dippable veggies out. Lynda loved the goat cheese with sundried tomatoes, so she focused on that. None of the bathroom hand towels were used as no one even went in...TMI. 

I had ornaments for the tree, sitting in tiny bins next to the tree, but they disappeared. We just had lights on the pre-lit 4 foot tree. I have two sets of three battery powered candles, the red Kiss light, so the room was nicely lit. I turned on the uplight on the floor lamp and the light was just right in here. I put out my fake poinsettia in a colorful container--$5 for the whole thing.

We were both pleased with our tiny one-guest "party." I baked nothing and things turned out fine. I am accustomed to baking for things at my house. 

I was exhausted, so true to my propensities, I left everything until morning except food that needed a refrigerator. Unfortunately, I did leave the rest of the sausage ball mixture out of the refrigerator, so that was tossed Thursday afternoon after Tommy found it. I was planning on eating sausage balls for Saturday. On Thursday, I bought another chunk of cheese and a pound of sausage. 

We loaded the dishwasher this afternoon. Tommy washed the larger things that would not go in the dishwasher, and I washed the smaller party dishes. 

The rest of the party is still out, some, just a bit. I am in no hurry to put things away as long as it drains me! 

Today, I remembered I did not put out my Santa and reindeer. When I get through typing, that will be put out since Tommy just brought me their boxes. 

Meals

Friday: ham, mac and cheese, and salad...we have lots of salad to eat, leftovers we find.

Saturday: sausage balls, cheese/crackers, fruit in jello, more salad, candy

Sunday, I think I will have our Thanksgiving Turkey dinner: turkey breast from the freezer, sweet potatoes, Stovetop Stuffing jazzed up with lots of celery and onions chopped from freezer, green bean casserole

I know people are missing whole family gatherings, so not too upset at the Walgreen's glitch. Are you missing family gatherings because of this weather? Have you ever had a major glitch and  plans not being executed that was really a bummer? 

I may change pharmacies. 

13 comments:

  1. You put such care into your festive little get together. I would have felt so honored as your guest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet,
    I put as much care for one guest as I have done for dozens of guests. I would love for you to be my guest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the sausage balls. When I make a batch I freeze them laid out on a cookie sheet. Then they go into a zip lock bag. When I want some I can just pull out what I need. In my oven they take about 20 minutes @ 375 to cook.

    I did make a small lasagna today that turned out great. I will cut the rest into serving size for the freezer. I was dressed festive while working in my warm sweats and fuzzy robe LOL. It is cold, cold, cold.

    It rattles my nerves too much if I know I have people coming so I do everything in advance, plated and wrapped. Then I just pull it out, remove the wrap and put it on the table. Takes the stress of rushing off!

    Have a great saturday and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas,
      Remember, I am exhausted when I awake and have trouble moving. Freezing is just one more step.
      I need a lasagna. I sometimes have dressed festive just because it feels great.
      Yeah, waiting until the last second is not my style.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure Lynda enjoyed herself. I hope you did too after all your work. I hate when the plan in my head is different than executed, but it all turns out fine. No one else knows what was in my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all enjoyed ourselves. This was her only invitation or occasion for merrymaking. We not only lived through the not being prepared but enjoyed having company. Thanks. At least, we did not leave prepared food in the refrigerator.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a good time. Glitches happen - I am just usually happy that I got the time with the people. Life is too short to get frustrated by the smaller things. Sounds like Lynda enjoyed herself as well. Rest up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      In the moment, it is hard to let go. But, twenty-four hours later, it does seem less frustrating! That is hard in the moment, though.

      Delete
  6. After about 50 years of patronage, I have had to quit Walgreens pharmacy because of continuous poor service. I don't know what's wrong with the company. It seems to come from the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      After some of the things that have happened in the last two weeks, I am ready to give up. One employee looked at the screen and said I had not had a prescription called in since last February. She said I had not picked up a prescription since July. That is plain incompetence! I am glad to know it is not just me.

      Delete
  7. I discontinued Walgreen's when they messed up my grandson's prescription, sending him to the hospital. Idiots!!! As for holiday gatherings, I posted about having to cancel mine due to weather, and not risk getting sick before the surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      The sub guy from Thursday came back to the window with the wrong meds but looked down, looked more closely and took it away. They did send me home with wrong med once and someone else's papers once. Scary to send kid to hospital. I will get over and read your post.

      Delete
  8. I too like the sound of the goat cheese with sundried tomatoes that Lynda enjoyed :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...