Monday, January 2, 2023

Cleaning Adventures and Car Damage

 On Friday, NYE, the woman who cleaned called and asked me if she could still come to clean at 10 am on Sunday, if it would be okay, like I might object or had made other plans! Of course, I said she could come! She changed my sheets, putting on the new, pretty sheets with pink flowers. They are so thick. She picked up clothes and I sorted by telling her where to put them--sweaters in the sweater tote, dirty clothes in hamper, and so on. Plus, she vacuumed almost the whole room, dusted most furniture.

This room is a wreck, so "almost all" still took four hours. Plus, she carried things into the Christmas decorations. We talked lots, too. 

She changed my sheets, putting on the new ones, floral flannel. I am saying this in all kindness, but my five-year-old could make a bed better. NOTHING was level, even, or square. But, the bed is made and looks really nice. As of this writing, I have not tried the sheets out. 

She said the bottom sheet had a tag that said "bottom of bed." I have never seen a tag that told me where the end of fitted sheets went. Or, I have not seen that tag. Usually, I struggle and put it on sideways and start over, or I measure one side by the side connecting the sheet. This is so much nicer and easier. 

She dusted books, and she took a bag of books for Tommy to sort. He still has three times as many books on the shelf in the bedroom. This 6-ft-long bookcase that is 3 feet high is in front of the heat/ac vent that is on the floor. The vent is right under a window. This is a recipe for ineffective air dispersion. So, I am hot in the winter and cold in the winter. The drapes were blowing in the breeze of the vent as the air went behind them into the window. He has an identical bookcase in the living room. I want to be rid of these monstrosities that eat up floor space and block vents. 

She rolled his computer desk to the road. Maybe someone will take it. I had gotten the desk dumpster diving, put it in my basement where the pressed wood immediately started growing green mold and disintegrating. Tommy asked if he could have it when I asked him to take it to the road for the garbage men to pick up. Since it was a moldy piece of junk, I said I wanted it in the trash which made him furious. So, I let him bring it to his house about ten years ago and have had to sleep with it for three years! So, it is gone, thankfully. 

She also spent time putting my green beans in order and in boxes in the food bedroom. That was a relief as carrying even three cans in one bag really hurt my back.

So, she did not spend four hours cleaning in the bedroom and only to get part of it done. Tommy took one load of clothes and washed them. I suppose tomorrow he will need to wash more loads. 

She set another date to come back and help me. We love springlike temperatures, but some people pay.

Tommy and I went for a short drive and to Publix where he got a2milk for me. He bought 6 half gallons. The refrigerator is overstuffed. The a2milk I have to drink is 3/$12. It was 3/$10. He had to get whole milk as there was no low-fat and there are no scheduled deliveries. I forgot they give rainchecks, or we could have waited. Oh well.

New Year's night, there are still fireworks going off like it is NYE. I hope they stop before I need to sleep. 

I was planning to have pork loin, sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, and turnip greens. But, the pork loin was still frozen solid. All the milk would not fit into the refrigerator with the two turkey breasts. Plus, there were meatballs that needed to be cooked. So, the pork loin is in the refrigerator along with one of the breasts, still not cooked. I cooked the meatballs and the two turkey breasts.

For dinner: Tommy had meatballs, salad, black eyed peas. I had meatballs, sweet potato and black eyed peas. 

Monday

 The sheets were wonderful for sleeping. I need to get another set, and they are on sale. I had credits at Belks, plus the gift card Tommy gave me for Christmas. However, I cannot get any of them entered online to spend. So, I may have to spend my cash to purchase these and use the cards for something else. 

Last night, I slept well and long, thankfully. Today, I will put paper in chest of drawers and put my belongings in there, getting them out of laundry baskets on the floor. I put one more baked turkey breast into the freezer. 

Tommy needed milk, so we had to go to Publix to get it and lettuce and celery. He can pour that last cup into a fruit jar to save an extra trip but he prefers the milk jug be perfectly empty before he purchases more. If I see it, I will empty it without asking. So, we went out at near dark.

While we were waiting for a car to vacate a spot to the left, a car on the right backed out of her parking space. I cautioned Tommy to back up. He did--about two feet and put the car in park. The woman kept coming and I was saying his name softly over and over and to back up more. He just sat there, so we were hit. I got out and determined it was not much damage. So, we told her it was okay. He parked and went into the store.

When we tried to drive away, turning the wheel caused the metal bent inward to scrub the tire. He would not correct his angle and it kept scrubbing. I instructed him to lessen the angle of left turns. He almost did it correctly, but the wheel scrubbed lots on the way home. 

She asked if we honked. I did not tell her the horn does not work. Tommy refuses to have it repaired! The lack of a horn has almost caused us to have a wreck about a dozen times in the last 18 months. There is also a crack from within three inches all the way across the windshield and all the way to the top of the window! He takes care of nothing! 

He would keep driving if I did not tell him he had to get a wrecker and have it towed to body shop. He agreed, but in the morning, he may buck up and say NO. The tire is probably ruined by now.

Monday dinner: turkey, dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potato. 

Do you have fitted sheets with the foot of the bed labeled? 

Isn't a horn required on cars for safety? Isn't the windshield dangerous? 


18 comments:

  1. Because my car is old it has to have an annual safety inspection and the windscreen had a chip with star crack for a few years. Every year they told me it shouldn't pass but they passed it a few times, knowing I had trouble paying. Last year I finally replaced it. I don't think anyone has ever tested my horn but it is a safety issue and yours might be fixable without a lot of drama.
    A horn would have helped but the woman who backed into you should not be relying on other people to watch out for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite sure this edge to edge crack would not pass inspection. But, Alabama has no such inspection as they are lax. Tommy won't even ask about the horn.

      Delete
  2. In Florida, it is against the law to have a cracked windshield. Your auto insurance pays for it to be replaced, so no out of pocket for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy said he chose a high deductible and insurance won't cover it. He often tells me untrue things.

      Delete
  3. Glad the cleaner came again.
    Here, a cracked windshield is illegal - will get you ticketed for sure. I would think a horn would be mandatory - it is important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      In Alabama standards are low. But, most Alabamians want a horn to use liberally, law or not.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like your cleaning lady did a delightful job again. She's a treasure! Can you send her my way?

    I have found that the tag on the sheets is usually at the foot of the bed. I don't have any labeled "bottom of bed."

    I would think a horn is required for safety but I don't know for sure. Seems to me it would be a simple matter of replacing a fuse or relay, but I am not a mechanic.

    A crack that big in the windshield should be dealt with. Most windshield replacement companies come right to your house, no need to take the somewhere and wait. It's an easy process.

    Tommy's New Year's resolution for 2023 needs to be, "Fix Shit When it Breaks, Goddammit!" Write it on a piece of paper and tape it to his forehead. With the print facing inward, of course. ;^)
    That, or "Real Men Fix Shit!" Maybe a little shade thrown on his masculinity will prod him into action.

    "Real Men Don't Throw Tantrums over Stupid Shit!"
    "Old Men Need to Be Less Stupid About Shit."
    "Tommy, Deal With Your Shit!"

    Are we sensing a theme, here? LOL!!!

    Your Monday dinner sounds delicious!

    Yesterday was a trial. I broke a glass in a sink FULL of dirty dishes and spent way too much time picking/wiping slivers. That damn glass went everywhere! Then, I found that the brisket that I had put to thaw in the fridge had leaked blood all over the shelf and it had seeped below to the vegetable drawers. THAT took super long to clean up as well. I'm sure you heard me swearing all the way down South...

    On to a new day, hopefully one that has less broken glass and disgusting messes in it! Excelsior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am printing up notes right now. I have not had a broken glass in the sink full of dishes for more than a decade! That is a pain and possibly dangerous! As a kid, I cut myself all the time washing dishes with broken glass. I hate blood leaking, especially onto vegetables. I do hope you have a better day. Funny comment.

      Delete
  5. Someone made black eyed peas too. He insists on this every first day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: Okay that was a little weird and ranty. Don't tell Tommy I said all those things. I shouldn't have said them. If anyone needs to fix their shit, it's me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I cannot believe you are relenting. You are so correct. It helped me, if not him.

      Delete
    2. Not very often (not often enough?) I am stricken with a sincerely guilty conscience. Must be the Catholic in me. Mea culpa!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I am laughing because there is no need to apologize. I have a Catholic friend who believes all he has to do is go to god and never worries about the pain he causes. That's okay because a ghost chaser group rejected him for using his rosary to scare the ghosts away.

      Delete
  7. I am not sure about the horn issue, but I would check your state laws. As for the sheets, yes, mine has tags and saves me time making the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      I will check. Maybe my sheets have had tags all along and I just never knew. I am going to check the others I have. With the handy elastic all the way around, it is impossible to know where the top, bottom, and sides are.

      Delete
  8. I have purchased fitted sheets from Target or Amazon Basics, which have tags which say "Foot or Bottom" on them. All my kids' beds are full size, and the sheets are all white, 100% cotton, to make sheet changing day easier...all in the wash, all out of the wash and on the beds in one fell swoop. Only one kid uses a top sheet, the others use comforters with white comforter covers. DD's comforter is a king size...when it was time to replace her old one, she just took this down alternative one we had in the linen closet, and found a spare cover. (Also white, also cotton.) But as the kids, for the most part, now wash their own sheets, it's not an issue. I'm surprised, but glad, you liked the flannel sheets. I am wondering f they will pill with subsequent washes, like pajamas do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I wonder where I have been since I have never seen this on sheets! But, I will look at the ones I have. A top sheet pulls out and it is useless to keep trying to use one. I hope these queen sheets on a full bed gives me more sheet to hold under the foot. When the mattress slide off the side and bottom, the flat, top sheet won't stay tucked.
      The last flannel sheets I had did not pill at all. I have never worn flannel pajamas or pajamas at all. While the sheets did not pill, they did shed. Now, the bottom sheet is very soft feeling but with no "flannel" feel.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...