Thursday, March 16, 2023

Hot Guttered Bum

On the interstate yesterday on the way home from Cullman, we saw a sailboat with a great name--Hot Guttered Bum. I laughed on and off for thirty minutes. 

Wednesday, I told Tommy I wanted to go to Sam's Club and he said, "No, the termite guy was coming." I asked him to reschedule and he would not, so I dropped it. I was pouting in my head but did not let him know. Well, I could not sleep, so got back up. I have no idea how it happened, but I awoke at 5 am with the laptop on my lap! That was weird. So, I went to bed and woke about 10:30. 

Then, he asked me about 12:30 about going to Sam's. I was shocked. He said he rescheduled. Sooo, we got ready and went out. 

That place has changed it's layout since I was last there. Registers were everywhere. I got lost, really lost. 

I had made a list of what I wanted, so we headed out to look for items. Two things I wanted were not in the store. We found the large bags of cups we use for drinking. They were a pretty pastel assortment--blue, yellow, pink, and lavender. I won't have to decorate the house for Easter, just sit these cups all over the place. 

Claritin, Vicks, and Flonase , and two supplements, plus the cups were around $129. The Flonase was $20 for 6 bottles. Each has 144 metered sprays where the ones I have here are 120 metered sprays in each bottle. So, thanks, Sluggy. The two large, 3.53 oz. containers of Vicks Vaporub were a little more than one large bottle elsewhere. 

The only items I got that were not the regular brand were Flonase, Claritin and cups. Claritin brand was almost $20 for a few tablets, whereas the off brand was only about $9 for two containers with 200 each, so 400 tablets for about $9. Prices were amazingly low. If I could put my hands on the receipt, I could tell exactly. I know it is here. I searched and refuse to search more tonight. 

I asked him if we had gotten food to eat there. Yes, we had gotten hotdogs. We each had a slice of pizza and Diet Pepsi. I think it was the largest slice of pizza I have ever seen. We ate it in the car as we don't unmask to eat. 

I gave Tommy two Publix bags to use in Publix when he goes in. So far, he has not used them. However, when we got to the car, he unloaded my electric cart and used the bags. 

We stopped at Publix on the way home. I bought red potatoes, carrots, snack bags, pint freezer bags, apples, bananas, and strawberries. I should have bought another half-gallon of a2milk. Oh well, we know where the store is located. 

Tommy washed the kitchen linens since it will rain all day tomorrow and I hate to ask him to do laundry in the rain. So, it is all done and I need to fold. 

Thursday night, for dinner Tommy had chicken, and grape tomatoes and a salad. I had chicken and a whole tomato in a salad. He made his own dressing, and I had a bit of Miracle Whip, not as much as I would have liked. We have more chicken for lunch tomorrow. I will cook corned beef, carrots, cabbage, and potatoes for Friday. 

The freezer over the refrigerator is stuffed, too stuffed! I told Tommy that on Friday he needed to unload it until he found meat to thaw for the next few days or for next week. I like to cook several packages of chicken at one time if I can. 

Today, I had apple, banana, and strawberries and three vegetables--broccoli, tomato, and Romaine. I try to eat at least three fruits and three vegetables each day, more if I can. 

We have watched Spartacus on TV and now we are watching Ben Hur. So, no Gunsmoke tonight. But, I do have an observation that I will share Friday night about Matt. 

So, I got my Sam's fix and found another product I buy each month from Amazon that is almost half priced at Sam's. So, next time we go, I will buy a three-month supply and cancel the monthly order at Amazon. 

12 comments:

  1. Haven't been to Sam's in years. I don't think I would want to try to maneuver through there any more. Too overwhelming and I never thought they had that good of prices.
    Sounds like you had a full day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      The prices were great for what we bought. Since I will only have to replace all this less often, I will actually spend less time shopping. It was a good, full day.

      Delete
  2. We went to Costco Wed. and also got Flonase and Claritin. I will have to check Sams next time we go as I think yours were better priced. our entire trip was really expensive at over $400 so things should last us awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      With the large quantities, I am happy with how little I will have to shop. Plus, items were so exorbitant, yet small count. You must have allergies!

      Delete
  3. Hot Guttered Bum--that's a hoot! Funny enough, but I have always referred to cooked snails as "hot gum dipped in butter." I had them exactly once in my life (and obviously badly prepared), but never again. Too many parasites use the snail as part of their life cycle--I don't want to eat stuff like that.

    Today is St. Pat's! My 4.25 .lbs of $1.99/lb flat cut corned beef is in the crock pot, my rye bread with caraway is in the bread machine, and I am about to start peeling carrots and taters. Got to run out for some cabbage, though. I don't cook my taters, cabbage, & carrots in the crock pot because they get too mushy, IMO.

    I am going to try making colcannon with mashed cauliflower so I can stuff my face without worrying about carbs. I think I will also steam some green beans for more vegetable fiber. I do love me a big plate of veggies for dinner!

    Happy St. Paddy's to you and Tommy, Linda--and to all your readers! Remember--on St. Pat's, EVERYONE has just a wee bit o' the Irish in them! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      That is a good price for meat. I need to get started, too. Maybe I will try colcannon with cauliflower one day, too.

      Actually, I am Scot Irish.

      Delete
  4. PS: Sounds like you had a great drug run at Sam's Club! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. no Sam's club here in Canada, just Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back when my family had boats, it was fun to see the names of the other boats and wonder what was the story behind the names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see boats on the interstate and find them interesting. This last one was hilarious. I can imagine you have seen more boats than I have.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...