Friday, March 17, 2023

Shopping for a "New" Car

 New to me is the only kind I will buy. Actually, I am considering buy an SUV. The last time I drove my car, I had a very hard time lowering myself into the car. Then, I have a harder time getting up. While I actually prefer having a car, maybe an SUV would be a better choice. 

I can take my time looking as I am in no hurry to just buy anything. Plus, I have time. I talked this all out to Tommy and asked him what he thought. He thought it might be a good idea. He struggles to get into my car, too. Plus, he will eventually ruin the door and door facing with his shoes. 

Of course, he will buy it and let me pay him when I sell the car like he did the one I have now. I paid him when I got the insurance settlement for my car that was totaled by the guy who ran a stop sign. 

Since I have not even priced any SUV, this may not be a plan that works. Tommy approved of buying a vehicle first, then selling mine. I can pay off the loan when the Impala sells. We are in no hurry. However, after surgery, I am not sure if I can get in my car or especially get out. 

Today was rainy and cold in the morning and still cold in the afternoon with a stiff breeze and humidity, the type of day where the cold goes to the bone. The temperature was 59 in the morning, but the temperature fell as the day progressed. 

There was no corned beef. We had leftover baked chicken breast and baked potatoes and carrots to accompany it. 

By the way, I know how to shop for a used vehicle as I have done this before.  

Do you find an SUV or truck easier to get into and out of than a lower car? 


24 comments:

  1. I will never buy a 'regular' car again. I am perfectly healthy physically and it is harder and harder to get in and out of a car. When I ride with someone else - I feel like I am sitting on the ground. I have a SUV and love it. Turn around and sit - perfect height.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel perfectly comfortable in a car and don't feel like I am sitting on the ground. However, I felt too high for a long time in Tommy's SUV. Now, I like being higher for safety. My main issue right now, is I wonder how long I can continue getting up and down. My car is an Impala, so not very low. I do like the backing up to the seat and sitting.

      Delete
  2. Getting in and out of an SUV or even a smaller crossover type SUV is much easier then a regular car. Much easier on my dh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Getting in Tommy's Rogue is easier than getting in the Impala, that I know. Thanks for the SUV vote.

      Delete
  3. There are cars that have added seat height without the added expense of being an SUV. The Kia Sorrento is one. Here are some others to consider:

    https://www.autobytel.com/car-buying-guides/features/10-cars-with-high-seating-positions-131298/

    If you are an experienced used car buyer, then you know that the best way to learn about vehicles and their record of reliability is the Consumer Reports annual evaluation.

    https://www.consumerreports.org/cars/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize there were cars with added seat height! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. PS My minivan is almost 20 years old and my next vehicle will probably be a small truck. I need something as badass as myself! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Chevy Trax and I love it. Not too high, and it has all the features I want. I don't like the feeling of being low to the ground, so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for an SUV. We used to have a Toyota Camry and while I had it I had no problems getting in and out but since having the SUV I would never go back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie,
      Thanks for your vote! Tommy's is the only SUV I have ever ridden in, so my experience is limited.

      Delete
  7. I had a total knee replacement last year. I had a little Mazda and there was no way I could have gotten in/out of that car. We bout a GMC Terrain and it has been a godsend. It's the right height to sit and swing my legs to get in. You might be surprised at the price a dealer will give you for a trade-in. Used cars are in short supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. angie,
      I am glad to know these different vehicles that work being high enough. I really am not planning on a trade-in, but am going to ask. I will not trade it in unless it is to my benefit. Most of the time, I have needed the trade to afford the car. This time, I will not be at the mercy of a dealer. Of course, a dealer is not my only recourse for purchasing a car. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure I understand the situation, but why don't you trade in all cars and share one vehicle? Your living together seems to be a permanent arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems as though neither of you goes out driving without the other, so it does make sense to just get rid of one car.

      Delete
  9. I'm in the minority, but I prefer a car. Please don't trade in your car. Yes, used cars are in short supply, but you might get more for it by selling it privately, than from a trade in. Also, if you and Tommy each have a vehicle, then you have a backup vehicle if one is out of commission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      That is what I said--no trade in. I know I will get more. I hate trading in cars.

      Delete
  10. We both are suv or truck as neither of us can get up and out of cars very well. Daughter 2 FIL ripped his car door off using it to pull himself out of the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I feel like we are more likely or just as likely to rip off the steering wheel! I will have to see how much we pull on the door.

      Delete
  11. I too vote for used cars, often better cared for and trusted than a new one. We need a new vehicle - new or old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I have always managed to buy a car that barely needed any work the whole time I drove it. So, I suppose I have been lucky or know how to shop for a car. We had new cars when I was married. But, one new car I drove for seven years and only put 70K miles on it, and we had driven it to Mexico and Canada. needless to say, I drove little. Husband had his own car for work.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...