Friday, March 24, 2023

I Am Probably the Only Person in Alabama with This Habit Today

 When I was about thirteen, my mother put covers on us in the summer. No matter how much we objected, she covered me at night when I only wanted a sheet. She tucked it up around my neck. I was too old to have covers pulled up, but she was a good mother and saw a child needing to be kept warm. Well, she had thryroid problems. Today, it was 82F degrees and I wore a jacket zipped to my neck to go out of the house to get in the car and stay in the car while Tommy went into Publix. 

Yes, I know I need to get this resolved, and I will. However, I cannot believe how much like my mother I am becoming. That is not really a bad thing. I have only worn a sweater with a scarf all winter and sandals.  It does seem that I am the one who inherited all the physical problems from both my parents. It is not fun or good! 

Today, I looked over the Publix ad and Tommy made a list as I dictated while surfing the ad. He loves Fritos and Cheetos. I thought he would buy only one since they are bogo. But, he bought two. He drinks too much Pepsi, but bought them since they are b2g1. He is allowed vices but I wish they were not sodium and caffeine. Of course, I prefer cheese and chocolate. 

Thursday night we had Chicken Parmesan and green beans. I think he had cabbage and a big salad. Friday for dinner we are having chicken breasts, thinly sliced, and roasted with potatoes. I will have green beans or Romaine and tomato for a salad. When we have green beans, he gets what he wants, about a quarter of the can, and I eat the rest. Friday night, he had a salad with his chicken.

Tonight, I had to find more Hall's Mentholyptus cough drops. Of course, they were right in the Ball canning jar with a metal lid, sealed tightly. They have been stored for two years. As you may have discovered, cough drops get sticky. The paper is almost impossible to remove. I have resorted to sucking on a cough drops with bits of paper, then fishing the paper out of my mouth. Usually, I buy these on sale or with a coupon, meaning I have more than I need. So, I buy them cheaply and then toss them. Not frugal. Keeping them in the glass and metal keeps air and moisture out, preserving the cough drops for another season. This definitely saves money. 

Tonight, storms could cause us to lose electricity. I hope not. Tornadoes are possible. I hope not. But, I do worry about folks in mobile homes. The weather has been very warm, never a good sign with storms. 

Finally, I found the number of the woman who can and will answer my planting questions and the grow light questions I asked here. I can get the information on the grow lights indoors and the watering system for potted plants I grow outside. Tommy does not need to be dragging a hose in the heat this summer! This summer, I will go back to growing vegetables in a addition to the flowers I love.

Are you familiar personally or otherwise with cold and thyroid problems? I can now understand why my mother covered a teen and three others with blankets every night in the summer in a home in the South without ac! And, she closed the windows and turned off our fans!

25 comments:

  1. My dad has always had hay fever which is worse if he has a quick or unexpected cool down so he usually wears more clothes than others but recently he's been wearing a jumper even in very hot and humid weather. I have commented on it and he says he's had all the relevant tests.....
    I like to sleep with the window open but my husband always refused. Now he's gone I could have it open but I shut it on all but the hottest nights because I don't want my Milly dog to get cold. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have hay fever, too, but never noticed a quick cool down making it worse. I will have to pay attention. Tommy is shocked when I wear a sweater most of the time.
      If I sleep with the window open, the night air makes me ill and I will be running a temperature and have sinus issues and a sore throat by morning. Milly and I are the same, I suppose.

      Delete
  2. A family member had dry skin, sleep issues, felt cold and walking issues. There may have been more symptoms. One day she ended up in the ER and the Dr, ran all kinds of tests. Her Tsh came back at 50!! She was diagnosed with Hypothyroid disease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. janie,
      That all sounds so familiar. Yes, I have that and nodules that need to come out. The last time, the ones I had removed were the kind that always turn into cancer. I am afraid that has happened this time. Thanks for the info.

      Delete
  3. you could have a simple iodine deficiency. You are cutting back on salt, and as we age we are less able to use the iodine we can extract from foods. I know that a simple iodine supplement has done wonders with my energy and my "cold" feelings. It is inexpensive... and worth a try. Can't hurt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meetsy,
      So true. I have avoided iodized salt for years. But, started using iodized about ten years ago. Thanks. Maybe that is what I need.

      Delete
  4. as for your cough drops.... buy some food grade desiccant packets (available on amazon) and put a couple in the jar with your cough drops, they will never get sticky, and/or stick to the paper. I use them in everything -- sugar, salt, spices, and anything that is damaged by moisture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meetsy,
      Maybe I could use some of the dozens I have saved from other items. The Ball jar and metal lid work so far.

      Delete
  5. Linda...since you rarely (if ever) have ocean fish in your diet... and you've cut back salt, and you are getting older... you might actually WANT to read this article: https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/complementary-medicine/201108/iodine-deficiency-old-epidemic-is-back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. meetsy,
      I have not had salmon in ages because it is a pain to mix the patties! I am just too tired. I will read that article. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. I am hypothyroid, but I do not run cold, I run hot. I can't stand too many covers at night, and prefer to sleep at 62 degrees. And my body temperature (and those of my kids) has always run 97 degrees.

    I love cold, fresh, well-oxygenated air for sleeping, and prefer the windows open, even just a crack.

    I used to take an iodine supplement, but stopped all my many supplelments for a while. I need to start it again, I think.

    Although I try to be careful about my salt intake, the salt I do use is iodized sea salt. It feels like a good compromise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      I am hypothyroid, too. But, until the last two or three years, I was always hot. I do like the air cold and lots of wool covers.

      If I sleep with the windows open, I get night air, allergens, and too much dampness which asthma won't like.

      And, I will not use sea salt. Actually, all salt is from sea water.

      Delete
  7. PS: Linda, if you want more salmon patties in your life, buy the premade frozen ones that you can bake in the oven. Easy peasy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Those sound gross. They would probably not taste like I want and have soy and other additives. Thanks, but no thanks.

      Delete
    2. Linda. Not all frozen salmon burgers are gross and contain additives. Trident Seafoods Alaska Sockeye salmon burgers are quite good with no additives and modest seasonings. Don't be a Knee Jerk Nancy--do your online research. Or just take Omega-3 supplements and call it good. Your choice, I'm sure, but not all frozen salmon burgers are possessed by Satan. LOL!

      Delete
    3. Sue,
      I know of what I speak, not a knee-jerk reaction. There are six ingredients I will avoid in these salmon burgers. Don't judge what you do not know about my food choices, often by necessity.

      Delete
    4. Wasn't judging. You were yucking my yum and I has the sadz. LOL! I am the annointed Defender of Frozen Salmon Burgers. Judge not, lest ye remain uneaten! Double LOLs!!

      Delete
  8. PPS: I love meetsy's idea about the dessicant packets for cough drops and Imma do that right away! Thanks, meetsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Good idea! But, I love glass jars and they don't need a desiccant as I have found.

      Delete
  9. I like the feel of being cozy under a blanket but this will not do here in AZ where it is often 'low' of 80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, a wool blanket and a quilt are really cozy when the temp in in the 80s...lol.

      Delete
  10. Chicken Parmesan and green beans sounds good.
    Chicken is very often on the menu in our house :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      It was delicious. Tommy gave me one of his pieces. You know chicken is often on the menu here, too.

      Delete
  11. Linda, why is it when one of your readers makes a suggestion that your response is often quite snappish and in fact downright rude? A perfect example is how you responded to the suggestion of trying frozen salmon patties. I am often shocked by your tone and your seemingly unwillingness to keep an open mind to new ideas. I feel sure your readers truly care what is going on and are only making suggestions because they care,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been so ill that I am not in the mood for suggestions that I know will affect me adversely. I am truly sorry for it sounding snappy. Maybe that is the difference in the written and spoken word.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...