Monday, April 3, 2023

Puzzled

 Tommy is getting better. Sunday night, thanks to my ministrations, he was well enough to curse me, liberally using the F word toward me. Today, he is refusing my back pounding, saying it does not help at all. His chest is sstill gurgling! He is so smart that, you know, I just have to defer to his superiority. He refuses to breathe deeply or try to cough up anything. I guess he wants to stew in phlegm. He is lucky I don't have a violent bone in my body or violent thought in my head. 

I drove to get his antiviral this afternoon and he refuses to take it. He said the pharmacist said to wait until tonight, so ten hours after med acquisition, he will take it. There is no reasoning with him. The pharmacist told him this at noon. So, Tommy will wait until 10 pm or later. It makes no sense. It really is hard to feel sorry for him with all the abuse he is putting me through. 

Without his asking, I bring water and take away empties. But, Sunday, he was so ill, he asked me to bring him water. He also asked for cheese. That was just before his recovery and cursing me. I carried away five pepsi cans. He never asks me for a pepsi, so I am surprised he has three more empty cans.

Yesterday, when we went to pharmacy, I asked him if he wanted something to eat. No. Then, on the way back, I asked him again. He wanted fries. At home, he was gobbling fries. I have never seen him eat so fast. The day before when he ate the chicken noodle soup, he was eating it so fast that I was astounded. He just needs to get food in front of him. That is why I tempted him with fries since he loves them and rarely gets them. 

Since I plan to go to the grocery store tomorrow, I will push myself to wash my hair tonight. I need apples and bananas. Neither of us will run out of milk at the rate we are drinking milk. I may have to toss meat I did not cook. Too bad. My hands still shake at times. We may just get cooked meat from the freezer instead of thawing meat to cook. That is what the cooked meat is for. We will finish the taco soup tonight. Tommy said he can eat some of that. Okay, I checked and had to toss two meats I did not get cooked this last week. Too bad. 

Overnight Sunday night into Monday morning, there was some kind of weather that Tommy said shook the house. I sleep through stuff like that. 

It is difficult to keep things picked up around here. One day last week, I got up from my chair and Kleenex and cough drop papers and all sorts of stuff fell off me. When, I came back to my chair, I was shocked at the litter. 

Okay, off to heat up the taco soup and open a can of peaches. In a nasty tone, he said the soup should have more water because he wants liquid. He only wants water added and is getting mean about it. I will add cheese to the top of mine and water to his. 

Have you ever experienced anyone who gets nasty toward caregiver/helper upon recovery?

12 comments:

  1. Patience above! I haven't been on line in awhile and stop by and lo! this is what's happening. Yes I've seen many patients in pain/sick/frustrated - and I daresay delirious - who are nasty therein. It is hoped when he feels better he will recognize this and aplogozie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      No, when he could barely get out of his chair and was running a 103 temp, he was mild. As soon as he could get out of his chair easily, he started the cursing me. NO, he will never apologize. I cried over this as I am still not well!

      Delete
  2. Hope you are both on the mend. Can you order the things you need from the grocery and have delivered? You shouldn't be out and around folks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is one of the kindest humans alive. Except when he is sick or in pain. He's not a very good patient. Tommy quite often doesn't seem like a good friend at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Tommy has no friends. He is a very nice person, but his people skills are sorely lacking. He puts people off during interactions. When I comment about what he says, he tells me no one but me has ever complained. No, they just go away. He is truly nice, but recovers and is nasty to me.

      Delete
  4. So he's back to being a crusty old bastard, eh? Welp, he must be feeling better if he's acting like a putz!
    Linda, I guess that's what you get for saving his bacon...no good deed goes unpunished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Yes, nasty and insulting. He knows I will help him next time. There will be a next time.

      Delete
  5. Do you ever think about moving out to a place of your own. You could still visit him. You could have everything clean and the way you like it. Also some peace. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  6. No I am from Wi. Longtime reader. You are such a sweet and kind person, that you deserve to have home that is a relaxing happy place. I didn't say to move to be mean to Tommy. I think he is a old bachelor that is use to his way and no other.Kris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kris,
      Some readers don't see me as sweet. Thanks! I try to be kind. No, I knew you did not mean for me to be mean to Tommy. You are so right about the bachelor bit.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...