Monday, April 10, 2023

Relaxing Sunday

 Easter weekend was very low-key, just like I like it. It rained Friday and Saturday. As we had nowhere to go, we missed nothing. I spent Sunday making potato salad as I was determined to have some. Tommy says he hates potato salad, so I just never make it. As you may remember, I questioned him about why he hates potato salad--hates boiled eggs in it, hates cold potatoes. My solution was to give him potatoes boiled for the dish, but hot and with no eggs. 

I spent hours, dicing potatoes, dicing celery, dicing onions, dicing boiled eggs, dicing two kinds of pickles, getting eyes and bad spots out of potatoes that Tommy peeled. I had slaw from the day before and tomatoes to slice. 

As I was mixing all this together along with MW, mustard, and a bit of vinegar, I forgot not to put the boiled eggs into the potatoes. However, I did manage to dip where only the onion was present, mostly. He informed me he dipped out the one tiny bit of yolk I left. 

We had a slice of ham, the kind sealed in heavy plastic, just one huge center cut slice that we shared. It was delicious, very relaxing not to have cooked all day. I am still exhausted from covid, so even going out to eat would have been tiring. 

Monday, I was taking a nap while Tommy got his own dinner. He said he dipped potatoes from the potato salad and heated it up. He did dip one dice of potato out at a time in order to avoid egg yolk. When I got up from my nap today, I had cold baked chicken and potato salad. In a bit I will have a salad, and an apple. 

I have a new sinus infection, so I have an antibiotic again. It is not covid, just my usual. 

My left knee, the good one, started collapsing on Friday, I think. By the time I got up on Saturday, it had quit. Then, it started again. So, I am using the walker permanently now. It will be fine and then hurt like a 9/10. I have never had to have a cortisone shot in this knee, but now may be the time. 

I had a tumble Saturday night that had nothing to do with the knee or disability, just a stupid move on my part. But, I don't feel like typing or thinking anymore tonight. Plus, I am still a bit traumatized. 

8 comments:

  1. I also had a low-key Easter, partly by choice and partly because I have had a misery making cold.
    I'm sorry about the knee, it might improve again, I'll cross fingers for you
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      As I age, it seems colds exhaust me more than when I was young.
      This knee keeps going in and out. In an hour, its status might change three or four times. Strange.

      Delete
  2. I like homemade potato salad, too, but I have always found it time consuming and tiring to make. Some people say it's no problem for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole,
    30 years ago, it was time consuming, but not exhausting as it is now. I was worn to a frazzle after two hours of cutting, chopping and slicing. Remember, I do all this in my lap in the recliner. I do have a bedspread/quilt on the chair. Tommy got a workout, driving things to me and back to refrigerator. He does not need a gym! But, I ate in Sunday and Monday, plus, I think there is enough for tonight. It is tiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Potato salad is both delicious and time-consuming to make. I shouldn't have it, so I don't make it. When I can no longer resist, I buy a small container and doctor it up just the way I like it. Then I go back to trying to resist it for another couple of months. It's a weird system but it works for my needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eating potatoes cold lowers the glycemic index to a point it is tolerable.

      Delete
    2. I've heard that (cold potatoes having a lower glycemic index) but some time ago I got curious and tested my blood sugar reactions over the course of a week (because I am nerdy like that).

      I tested before and one hour after each time from eating a single serving of white rice, potatoes, pasta, and cereal. All made my blood sugar shoot up over 100 points! Maybe I am just super sensitive, I don't know. But I do know that I have to treat those basic carbs like dessert--until I start training for the Ironman Triathalon or something, LOL!!

      And that's why I'm so adamant about Keto breads/wraps. It's the only carb I can enjoy worry-free.

      Delete
  5. Sue,
    I do wonder about things like that. Hopefully, it works for me. I do treat carbs like dessert...lol.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...