Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Wednesday and a New Project

 This day was a perfect day. The skies were pretty and the temperature was in 80s. We had two things to do. We picked up my book that was lost in the house. My friend wrote it--To Live and Die in Alabama, by Stephen Edmondson. Unfortunately, they gave the paperback instead of the hardcover I ordered. 

Then, we went to Sam's Club, bought a few things and returned home. The bulkiest, heaviest item we bought was the wrong size. So, that will be another trip. I am bummed about that. Tommy needed milk and checked the price which was cheaper than stores we frequent. 

We had a slice of Sam's pizza and diet drink in the car. It was not much of a car picnic since we ate in Sam's parking lot. I just did not want to drive to a shady place. It worked. We ate. Tommy wanted to half a piece which was okay with me. But, he wants the meat pizza, four kinds in this case. That really grosses me out. Plus, I am allergic to something in pepperoni. 

He took the scenic route home from Homewood, whatever the scenic route is. 

We are really good at shopping together, with neither of us causing a problem driving around the store. We load the huge cart efficiently with both of us moving things about with no disputes about what goes where. He was in a peaceful mood today. It was fun. 

He got his taxes done, getting a refund of $1K from fed and almost $100 from the state of AL. He was annoyed he had overpaid so much and said he needs to figure out what to do to pay less next year. 

Yesterday, I had Tommy bring me a baking pan for my lap, then a pot of dirt. I planted two packets of seeds in it. He watered it yesterday. Hopefully, something will come up. I planted Bachelor Buttons and Alyssum, both free packets from the Ag Center. Any flowers I get will please me. He watered it today, too, all the plants. I hope the birds don't decided to eat the seeds. I will put a fake snake near it. 

I heard on TV that seniors can get even more of a reduction on taxes even with the homestead exemption. He argued with me and then I heard it again. So, now I will enter the information online. He is always eager to save money. 

Today, I got out my hot pink sandals and felt happy wearing them. I am silly that way...lol.

My new project overshadows all plans I have. I know a college student who needs help. He failed last semester because he lost his ride to school. And, he is homeless. So, I have contacts that will help him figure it all out. He needs a car and a place to live permanently. However, he holds down a fulltime job. He is a non-traditional student. I have talked with someone who can get him through the process of regaining his grant. I have taken on the task of getting him in a car. I have contacts, old as they may be. My mind has been whirring. This kind of thing energizes and excites me. I can advocate for someone else much better than for myself. 

This was an excellent Wednesday, excellent day. For dinner I had a thin, tiny slice of ham and a huge plate of slaw from a mix. The cabbage is chopped in little squares, instead of being shredded. Tommy had rest of the ground beef, zucchini, and some of the same slaw. I had half a banana, strawberries, and blueberries today. A huge box of blueberries was fairly cheap at Sam's and they are huge. 

Tommy found my bluebird I made, so tomorrow I can repaint it and hang it along with the hummingbird feeders. 

How was your Wednesday or any other day? 

The mower did not come as scheduled. grrr. He will come when he can. I lay down for a nap thinking he would wake me with his work. But, instead, I had a nice nap. 

Do you ever garden in your lap?


 

.

13 comments:

  1. So very kind of you to want to help the young man. It sure sounds like he can use a hand up! Glad you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      It is something I can do and he needs help. Since he is working so hard at a job and expresses desire, he needs help. It was a wonderful day.

      Delete
  2. I do not garden in my lap--but if I had to, I would! I have a mobile potting bench that I wheel it in and out of the garage as needed.

    A peaceful day with Tommy is special, indeed. Don't let it go to your head. ;^) ;^)

    I remember your hot pink sandals! I wish I had a pair like that.

    How do you know this college student? It's really nice to help him out as you are. And I know what you mean when you say it's easier to advocate for others than yourself. It just feels so good when your knowledge & experience can help someone.

    I would love to see your repainted bluebird. You need to learn how to upload photos from your phone! Ask that college student you are helping to show you the easiest way to do it, and write down the instructions. He will feel good knowing that he was of assistance to you, too. Or ask your cleaning lady. I'm sure she knows how.

    What I do it take a picture on my phone, email it to myself, save it as a file, and then upload the file where needed. I'm sure there's a better, smarter, & faster way to do it, but my brain can make sense of this method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Yep, I do it any way I can. I had lots of table in my yard before, AND I could get to them.
      The peace was wonderful, but he got over it when we went out today.
      I met him in the laundry. I was impressed by him from the moment we spoke. He saved my name and number in his phone, so it appears he believed me when I said I could help. He was eager to get the contact number I gave him for academic help.
      I wore the shoes yesterday and they made me happy. I forgot to wear them today. SAS carries them.
      Tommy took the phone in Verizon and they did not know how, sent me to two other places, and they cannot, either. I am so discouraged. Verizon sent direction for me to plug it into my laptop. Nope, computer cannot download because it is a flip phone.
      Before, I could write a blog post, take the pictures and post them, all within a few minutes, less than thirty minutes. I have no idea.
      Cleaner probably does not know since she only uses a smart phone.

      Delete
    2. You need to consider getting a smart phone. I think you'd find it both very practical and fun.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a great project, I hope you can help him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I know I can do something! I have already gotten him some help.

      Delete
  4. So good of you to help this young man ...

    It sounds that Wednesday was indeed a good day.
    We enjoyed a leisurely walk in the sunshine.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. I try. It was a very good day. I wish I could walk a bit in the sun. Maybe just in my yard.

      Delete
  5. How nice that you are able to help this young man out. That's just the kind of thing this world needs more of. I'm glad you and Tommy had such a nice day out. I hope you told Tommy you enjoyed it also. Take care. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae,
      I am very convincing when others need help. I did tell Tommy how nice the day was. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. that does sound like a lovely day - good for you !

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...