Friday, June 30, 2023

An Hour on the Asphalt Was Too Much for Me

Today was too hot. I can attest to the fact it was too hot for an old lady to be out on the asphalt of Lowe's for an hour! Tommy sat in the car with all the ac vents blasting on him. He said he was sweating on his back and backs of his legs, just anywhere there was not ac blasting him. It was hot. I think it was about 98F and "feels like 106F." 

I bought a gas grill, a cheap one. Tommy said, "I hope you enjoy using it, because I am not!" He grew up with a father who grilled, not sure why he won't. I don't plan to grill out a lot. However, when I do, I can grill enough to eat later and even freeze. 

This was a little $149 grill. It is tiny and has a tiny area for cooking, but two burners. I was trying to upload a picture and now the text is wonky. Oh well! 

At my house, I never asked him to grill because he always did stuff for me. So, I was not going to burden him with that. 

When Fred's first came to our town, we all went to the grand-opening. Only adults could enter the drawing for a gas grill. Well, son was nine and had a mind of his own. He did not sneak or disobey me, but I suppose he saw his chance and filled out an entry. Husband and I had, too, but kept the girls close. Everyone stood back a respectable distance, maybe 15 feet from the service desk. The guy was drawing an entry, and I looked and there was son, standing directly in front of the man behind the counter with his chin resting on his hand, elbow on the counter, anticipating his name being called. It was actually quite heartwarming, really cute. I hated he might be disappointed because drawings are that way. 

The man called out my son's first name, sort of a common name. Then, the guy stammered and messed up our last name. I did not catch that, but my son promptly said our last name correctly and loudly. I thought maybe the guy might say my son was not qualified. But, people clapped for my son. 

We had to get a neighbor to get it home. It was quite large. It was night, so we had to get him out to fetch it home. It would not have done to leave it until the next day. My son could not have slept. 

When I grilled burgers, I would grill one for the two older to take for their lunch. As soon as they were done, I immediately dressed their burger and put it in the refrigerator. My children were so happy thinking about lunch at school the next day. All their friends were envious. The thought of lunch the next day cause my children to go to bed eagerly. 

Some days, when husband came home and asked children where I was and what I was doing, they would say, "Oh, she is burning chicken again." Finally, I learned to turn on one burner and put the chicken on the other. I have no idea if that was correct, but it worked for me. It was tender inside and not burned. 

Today, the grill would not fit in Tommy's Rogue, so the employee said he would bring it to us. We WILL pay him, though, just not $79. This guy will check and make sure all the connections are correct, something delivery people won't do. 

So, grilling will be fun but hot. I probably won't grill while it is so torrid.

Do you have a gas grill? Or, charcoal grill? Electric grill? 

Who in your family grills? Do you? 

What is your favorite food/meat to grill? 

Did you ever send grilled burgers to school for your child? 

14 comments:

  1. What a cute story about your son!!!!
    I got rid of the outside grill - it was old and just threw it out (falling apart). I use my George Foreman inside now if I want a grilled taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Thanks. He was a cutie. I probably should have gotten a George Forman. It is just too hot to grill.

      Delete
  2. We have a gas grill outdoors. I refused to learn how to use it, because I didn't want to be responsible for grilling. DH was the grillmaster, but since his stroke, I don't want him standing in front of a grill (though he's recovered to the point that you'd never know it happened.) One son enjoys grilling, but he also leaves a mess in his wake, so I try to avoid having him do it, even though he offers. Our range has a gas cooktop, and the center burner spans the depth of the cooktop. It came with a flat iron attachment. (flat on one side, griddle on the other) We've been using that a lot lately, to grill steaks, and it works beautifully. I just don't like having to clean it. When we grill, we grill steaks, though one kid loves to go out after dinner and grill burgers. I like my steaks red rare warm, the rest like them red rare hot to pink, with one kid only liking his medium (pink).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg,
    I had to grill because did not know how. The thing I hate about grilling was that I had to do all the inside cooking and prep, too. I still had a child under two. We do have some thinly sliced steaks of some sort. My meat must be dry and grey, nothing pink at all, not the least shade of pink. Maybe you could stress cleaning up. I have thought the griddles in the middle of stoves looked like a mess to clean. Now, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use a gas grill most of the time but occasionally we do a charcoal fire for grilling on the egg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't grill enough to justify getting two grills. I love the look of the egg, but not the price.

      Delete
  5. Since we mostly used the side burner on our gas grill, we gave our grill to the neighbor and bought an outdoor three burner gas stove. So most of our "smelly" cooking like frying fish or cooking some exotic recipes happen outside. I hope you make some fantastic meals on your new grill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has a tiny surface area and no side grill. An outdoor grill is great for frying fish. Hopefully, I can stand long enough to use it!

      Delete
  6. We don’t have a grill outside. I would have to descend the steps to cook on it and that would be too hard, so we grill inside with our air fryer, which also works as a grill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      We would have to go down steps if this were in the backyard. Neither of us can get down the stairs safely. Tommy cannot get down it at all. I might descend safely. Who knows. So, it is on the porch. I may have made a mistake getting this. An air fryer is probably a better idea. Time will tell.

      Delete
  7. We have a large gas grill, a large smoker, and a firepit for hotdogs and s'mores for the grands and neighbors. We do burgers, hotdogs, pork chops, and chicken all on the grill. Hubby smokes pork tenderloin, Boston butt, chicken thighs, and all sorts of things in the smoker. We probably use the gas grill once a week and the smoker once every two months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      Oh my! That is a lot of cooking and places to cook. That sounds like a fun cookout! And, it makes my mouth water. I hope to at least use the new grill once a week.

      Delete
  8. I have a smallish gas grill in the back patio, an electric smoker in the back yard, and a cast iron grill pan, that I HATE to clean stored under my stove top.
    Also there are also 2 propane stove tops stored in the storage trailer we used these back when we would go camping with a crowd or when it was too hot to cook inside the house. This list is not counting the insert to my stove top which I rarely use, the cast-iron 2 burner piece that can be used as a flat top or a grill. I I have an electric one too!
    YES it is time to downsize. Since John died last year I have only used the smoker, the grill and a cast iron pan to "grill". I really should have a sale and pass on the tents, air mattresses, screen room, and stoves that we used when camping. Not to mention that I still have a cabover camper with a slide-out. The camper just breaks my heart. We had so many wonderful adventures in the truck and camper. I thought of something today that I thought of going out there and bringing in but right now I can't enter it. It just makes me so sad and it is dangerous for me to climb in and out of the camper with tears affecting my vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a lot of ways/means to grill and cook. My gas grill was all I ever had other than the stove inside. Yes, it might be time for some of that to go. Don't get into the camper! I know that it all makes you sad. Sorry for that.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...