Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Easy Fruit Dessert

 


Back when I entertained once a month, one single guy brought the same thing in the summer. Or, maybe he brought it during other months. He would buy a bag of frozen peaches, a bag of frozen strawberries, and a bag of frozen blueberries. He usually had it out of the freezer for an hour or so before he came. At my house, it was almost ready. I had to take it out of the bags and slide each into one large bowl. By the time were through with dinner, we dipped up this frosty dessert. Mostly, it was thawed. It was delicious and easy for him.

You may want to mix fresh fruit.

Before dinner, I sliced all the squash I bought at the market and a huge Vidalia onion. My intentions were to fry the squash and onion but without dousing it in meal. I decided I had too much squash for a meal and put half the squash and half the onions in a bag for another day. Maybe I will make a small squash casserole. 

After an hour of Tommy tending squash and onions, I went in to see what was happening. Well, he had a 12 inch skillet on a 6-inch eye. NO WONDER! I put the skillet on the larger eye over his vociferous protestations. Well, it did cook a bit faster. I went in and it was on high and boiling. Finally, I called it done, not a bit of browning, not even on the onions. I drained mine on a paper towel because he used too much oil. Oh, that was the first paper towel I have used in three weeks. 

The bachelor buttons are blooming. I have a red one and a blue one. so far. Blackberries are turning red. 

It was sooo hot today. However, I was pleased. It beats cold weather any day. But, I would have been ill if I had had to be out in the heat very long. I took more recycling into Publix and bought blueberries, strawberries, keto for me, milk for Tommy and a beefsteak tomato. They for 4 for $5, a real bargain as they were huge. 

Tuesday dinner: Tommy had pork, a sweet potato, squash and onion. I had a huge salad before dinner, then chicken breast, squash and onion. We both forgot we had slaw in the refrigerator. 

The day was a very good day, even though I slept little the night before. 

Do you ever mix frozen fruit almost thawed like my friend did? What is your favorite combination of fruits for this? 


8 comments:

  1. Son2 does this and tosses seedless grapes in it during the season or oranges during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mixed fruit - fresh or frozen. I especially like peaches that are about half thawed. Sweet and crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      Eating half-frozen peaches was a joy when my mother finally got a freezer. Instead of canning peaches, she froze them. This thought makes me want to freeze some fresh peaches so I can eat them half-thawed.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love Bachelor's Buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      Now, I do, too! They are so small and cute and blow in the wind.

      Delete
  4. I should eat more fruit - fresh or otherwise . I get lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Urspo,
    Yes, you should. It is all delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...