Wednesday, June 21, 2023

I Read the Label

 I saw a Breyer's low-carb ice cream on sale and thought "this is for me." However, I hesitated, wondering what the magic ingredients could be. So, I searched and found the answer. I won't be buying this. Read for yourself.

Do I want to eat THIS? The ingredients almost turn me off icecream!

Today, we were going to two events in Cullman. The first was a box lunch to pick up at a church. The second was a lesson on cooking squash. Well, it was rainy and I was not well on Tuesday, so we skipped it. 

Tuesday night, I frantically searched for a bag because I was about to throw up. Well, I didn't, but kept retching for the next two hours. Ten minutes after the initial scare, I realized the other end was letting loose, too. I managed to get to the bathroom, retching all the way. Thankfully, the dry heaves never amounted to anything. Then, I had reflux for hours that involved retching more. Finally, at about 8 am, I could lie down and relax, sleeping until noon. That's still not much sleep. 

At 4 pm, we decided to go to the market here and get the Wednesday ads. Plus, The Pig gives 5% discount to seniors on Wednesday. That takes a bit of the sting out of the 10% plus cost at The Pig. Well, Tommy forgot to remind them he was over 60. 

At the market we got a small basket of blueberries, a basket of plums, 2 ears of corn, and five tomatoes and a peach lemonade drink. The total was $22.50. The tomatoes were huge and only $1 each! 

I sort of wanted some of their small squash, but I have two squash here along with the bag of squash and onions. We also have potatoes, but I wanted theirs, too. A gallon of blueberries was an eye-watering $35. lol...maybe not...definitely not buying. 

I may get out a pound of bacon and fry/bake it for blt. Yum, makes my mouth water. At any rate, I have six huge tomatoes to eat as Tommy eats very little tomato. 

Although if was in the 80s today, the humidity made it oppressive to be outdoors. Of course, I walked to the car and back only, I still felt it when I had to roll down the car window. Hot and dry is better. 

Tomorrow, the furniture repair guys are scheduled to repair my chair. I do hope this goes off well. You do know we have a four-hour window in which they may arrive. It will be just our luck to have to wait until someone comes at the bottom of the window. Hope not. We have no place to be or go, but when I cannot leave the house because I am waiting on a repairman, I always "need" to go somewhere. At least it is not like the 8-hour window that repair people gave us. Remember that time? My experience is even a definite time may or may not happen or happen even near the time. There are always their emergencies that take precedence. 

For dinner: Tommy had two pulled pork sandwiches with bbq sauce and a huge helping of slaw and salad. I had one pulled pork sandwich with bbq sauce and slaw on it and another helping of slaw, salad of Romaine and tomatoes.

Fruit--Today I had apple, banana, blueberries, and peach lemonade.

Do you get antsy when waiting on repairmen with a huge window instead of a set appointment?

Where are you getting fresh fruits and vegetables--farmer's market, CSA, your own yard? 

Did the ice cream label make you feel ill?  


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to that blog about whole foods. I've taken to reading labels and using the Yukka app on my phone and while mostly the results haven't been bad (because I really don't eat junk food), there have been a few surprises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      I was just horrified even though I had heard most of those things before. I rarely eat junk food, but Tommy has been hitting the holiday sales on all sorts of chips, and I indulge, too.

      Delete
  2. All our food is so processed. Makes me want to get out my ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid and make my own ice cream again. It tastes so much better anyway, and no added crap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I have a nice Cuisinart that I used once, put it back into the freezer. Then, we stuffed things in front of it and cannot get it out! We were going to have our helper sort out the freezer the next time she came and she never came again. lol
      I love homemade ice cream.

      Delete
  3. I never thought much about reading labels until I started keto over five years ago. There is sugar in almost everything, and to make matters worse, there are something like 96 NAMES for sugar. Ingredients are important. There are so many things that are inflammatory. The biggest reason so many people feel so yucky all the time is directly related to what they eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I have been reading labels for years, but only for certain things I wanted to avoid. Then, I started looking for things I am allergic to, then gums and soy. There are other things I do look for on the label.
      i do avoid beet sugar. But, you are right about all the names for sugar, and all sugars are not alike as they would have you think.

      Delete
  4. Do you make your own slaw and if you do can you share recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I regularly read labels; if I see a lot of ingredients and most of them 'chemical' I often don't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I will give a chemical or two a pass, especially if they are far down on the ingredient list. But, mostly, I sigh and put things back.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...