Sunday, June 18, 2023

Sunday Storms

 As usual, I have had trouble going to sleep. Last night, it was a new and worse problem. Finally, at 8 am, I did sleep, awaking at 2pm. 

I think the reason I have felt so exhausted is a new sinus infection. I don't want to move! However, I know sitting is going to kill me! Thankfully, we have plenty of leftovers and frozen cooked meat in the freezer. However, I will finally cook the pork butt and make coleslaw. 

Tommy is out moving the blackberry bushes and covering them with tulle. I will make sure to put a rubber snake near them. There is a long cane on each, making it impossible to cover them. So, i will have him cut the cane. I hope that does not kill them. 

We called to have the recliner repaired in March. In April, someone came to look at it and come back in two to three weeks to repair it. Shortly thereafter, a box too large and too heavy for us to move, containing the metal mechanism to go under the chair. It was sitting where rain could hit it. The furniture store told us they would be out soon. Okay, and it has rained here two or three days each week. Now, in June, someone will come in two weeks to repair it. The charge for labor will be $230. I wonder if this was under warranty for parts. I have no idea. 

Well, Tommy just came in from sticking blackberry canes in dirt. He used a reacher/grabber to dig around in a pot. Why? He said he was making the dirt where he could plant. No planting, just poke it in. I cleaned the loppers thoroughly and oiled the cutting part and jaws. NOW, I will have to put grabber in sink because it has dirt clods in the soft part that makes it possible to pick up a dime from a surface. "It don't matter," he yells at me. Yes, dirt clods on the carpet do matter. By the way, he only uses this bad grammatical error when yelling about some dirty place that is just fine. 

I watched my father clean tools thoroughly before putting them away in his shop, so I came by tool cleaning honestly. If you do not clean yours, I don't care. 

Maybe I do the cane poking the wrong way. But, every cane I have poked into hard dirt has worked. Well, I push ten in the ground and four live. That was with the forsythia. Scuppernong worked. So, maybe blackberries will work and some of the six canes will be a new blackberry bush. 

I am weak and fighting nausea, so I need to go. There is more bad weather on the way, so all laundry is being done, dishes are washing, and we will eat early. Oven will be on before it hits. I have my flashlight at the ready. 

Do you poke blackberry canes into the dirt to get more blackberry bushes? If it does not work or that is not the way to grow more blackberries, well Tommy spent an hour cutting two canes into six pieces, digging up the dirt and planting them. I know they spread, but this blackberry bush is in a pot. I will put it into a bigger pot eventually. Oh, I know this is the wrong time of the year to do this.

Do you clean tools after using them? Oil them?

 

4 comments:

  1. I have mine on a trellis and I just guide the canes back down to the ground. I will also toss "bad" blackberries on down the trellis as I know they will grow sometimes after all there are a dozen now in E's pasture were we tossed them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Tommy wants everything in pots. Otherwise I would train them to the ground to make new plants. I suppose I should start tossing blackberries around instead of buying plants.

      Delete
  2. Do you clean tools after using them?
    I think it's a good idea to always look after your tools ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Thanks. I have seen that done all my life. Things last longer.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...