Friday, June 16, 2023

Baking in a Reynold's Cooking Bag

 It was at least 90F here today. It was hard to get the car ac to cool the car when we got in to go out. The flowers appear to love this weather with rain every day and heat, too. I hope vegetables are doing well. 

Someone asked about how I use cooking bags for meat and vegetables. First of all, I use Reynolds Cooking Bags, but there are others on Amazon that I have never tried. For a turkey, there is a Turkey Bag size.

In the smaller size (8 lbs) I can put about ten chicken breasts or multiple thighs or legs. And, some days, I put legs, thighs, and breasts in the same bag. A whole hen can be cooked in a cooking bag. 

There is an instruction sheet with the bags that can be a good guide for cooking with sizes/weights and cooking temperatures and times to cook. 

One day, I accidentally left out the flour. The instructions say to add two teaspoons or Tablespoons of flour and shake. Well, the bag without flour did not explode, so I have never used it again. But, follow the instructions. Do as I say, not as I do. Okay, take your chances with leaving off the flour. 

However, I do put the six slits in the bag. If you don't, it will blow up like a balloon, scary looking. I either snip slits or poke the bag with a sharp knife while holding onto the bag so I won't poke a hole in the bottom of the bag. I always make the holes on the area of the bag where the juice won't leak during cooking. 

I use a pan that will hold the bag without allowing any of the bag to sag over the side. Once, I came in and the bottom corners were hanging over the sides with lots of juice in each corner. I was afraid it was going to burst. And, I was afraid the meat was not sitting in enough juice to keep the meat from burning. 

If you are cooking bscb, add about a half cup of water to keep the meat from burning. Maybe you want to add just a quarter cup of liquid. 

Chicken breasts will often be pale. But, the spices I add gives the meat color. Adding only garlic powder and onion powder gives a tasty but pale meat. In a salad or a sandwich, it does not show. Sprinkle meat before you put it into a bag. Otherwise, it is not easy to sprinkle evenly, just messy. We only season the top of the meat. 

I don't waste the oven heat and all this prep for just meats as I add vegetables to the bag. Tommy peels potatoes and carrots, enough for at least two meals, often more.  We only eat half a potato, having leftovers so we don't need to cook the next day. Some days, we eat leftovers from another day and save leftovers from the present meal for the day after that. Maybe we freeze some of the bscb. 

We have added many vegetables--onion halves, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, celery, potatoes, carrots. Sometimes, we put the meat on the vegetables. The celery and onions are placed on top of the meat. No, we don't put meat on potatoes. I forgot--I also cook squash and zucchini in with the meat. However, I cook it whole with just the ends cut off. Amazingly, it does not go to mush. Most of the time, we put bscb in the bag and put all the vegetables in front of the meat. See? There is no one right way to do most of this. Some days, the chunk of onion is just lying between the meat. 

Don't pour water over the top of the seasoned meat as it washes off the seasoning. One day, I forgot to put water in bscb. So, I found my little funnel, stuck it in one of the slits and poured the water into the bag that way. Another time, I found the slit, sort of mashed it down and poured the water on the slit and wiggled the bag around the slit until it went into the bag.

There are ties for the bag, little pieces of plastic to tighten like a zip tie. We lose these all the time and usually find them later. No worries. Just cut off a half-inch strip off the top of the bag and use that to tie the top of the bag. 

None of my spice blends contain sodium. I got rid of those. All of my spices and spice blends season the potatoes just fine. So, need to season the vegetables. Tommy, who like salt on food, does not even season after cooking this way. If he wants more salt, he can add it later, and I am not forced to eat salty food. 

Funny practice--one day, I was slicing potatoes in quarters, and carrots into three inch pieces, sliced onion while sitting in my chair. It was enough vegetables to last several days. I told Tommy to bring me the cooking bag. I place everything into the bag in no particular order. I carried it to the kitchen like a bag of potatoes, put it into the cookie sheet, sort of mashed the vegetables to make them even across the bag and pan. Then, I put the chicken on top to cook. Tommy laughed at my unorthodox use of the bag as a bag to carry. 

The bags come in Large and Turkey size. I baked three turkey breasts in one turkey bag. I have also baked turkeys. 

Finally, here is a link to Reynold's Cooking Bag Instructions  This may answer your questions. Or, you can ask me in comments.

Have you ever used Reynold's Cooking Bags? 

Any questions?

12 comments:

  1. I've never used cooking bags, and I don't understand what the purpose/advantage of using them. If I need a tent to keep something moist/tender, I use aluminum foil, but I try to avoid even that. I try to minimize my use of disposable products, particularly plastics. I must confess, though, to a fairly recent (past 10 years) fondness for parchment paper when I bake--which is fairly often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      There is a great advantage to me that you don't need. I don't have to stand and scrub a pan. I don't have to keep checking to see if something is getting dry. I get food from the oven after a certain length of time and that's it.
      When I ran out of bags and did not realize it, I made do with aluminum foil, lining the pan and then putting another piece over the food. Then, I got off balance and hot liquid ran out all over the oven door and my leg. So, the bag is safer.
      I suppose parchment paper was the gateway disposal product for me, too.
      We use so little disposable items that I don't feel bad about this. It gives us healthy food. Well, unless the nylon bags are polluting our food.

      Delete
  2. All the time for turkeys, not so much for others. I do use a crock pot bag when I use that appliance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      That is how I started using them--for turkeys. I tried the crockpot bag, but the first or second time, the bag broke, so never again.

      Delete
    2. When they came up with crockpot bags, I thought that looks look a oven bag. I also use them, I get them at scratch and dent stores. For many years my mom only made meatloaf 2 ways in a crockpot or in a oven bag. She used them for the same reason. The oven bag made clean up easier.

      Delete
    3. Amy,
      I may try cooking a meat loaf in an oven bag next time. I never thought of that. Smart move on your mother's part.

      Delete
  3. I use for turkey only. Never thought to use for anything else. I don't use the oven for many meats at all - I use the crockpot for that or the stove top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      We did use the crockpot more. But, we can get more vegetables in the cooking bag, cutting down on having to also use the stovetop. Plus, there are leftover vegetables for other meals.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the directions! I agree, it would cut down scrubbing a pan. I use the reynolds liner bags for my crockpot and a super time saver for cleaning up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      You are welcome. I read someone who said the slits are unnecessary. Don't believe him. Put in slits!

      Delete
  5. I've used bags for brining and marinading but not yet for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you use plastic bags like storage bags or the brand made for oven cooking?

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...