Friday, August 11, 2023

Rough Elbows, 106F 'Feels Like' and No AC!



 I had one elbow that looked almost normal. However, touching the arm of a chair or the console in the car was so painful that I winced and sometimes made a whimper sound at the pain. I mentioned it to the dermatologist almost as an aside the first time. The second time, same thing. Finally, the third or fourth of fifth time, he recommended something more than curing dry skin or a mild hydrocortisone cream. The elbow had a dark color, almost like it was dirty, but it was not. At least, washing did not cure that. 

The last time, he recommended something with urea, which prompted my comment of "can I just pee on my hand?" LOL...Of course, no one here thought that was funny. Oh well! 

But, when I came home to order it from the internet, I found it contained tea tree oil. I did not want to apply that, so I searched for something else on Amazon. The product I found is amazing! The first time I applied it to my elbow, the painful cracks went away within an hour. Of course, the pain came back the first time I touched it after an hour or so. I should say the first time any cloth touched it. 

Over the last two weeks, the pain and irritation relief lasted longer until now, it does not hurt for any cloth to brush my elbow. So, I can highly recommend this product. I have suffered for at least three years. No more.

Just now, as I was searching Amazon for the picture I posted, there was a notice that it was out of stock on Amazon. This problem was never about appearance. However, that has improved. My dermatologist said he puts it on his heels morning and night. The product I purchased was half the price of the one he recommended. So, that was a plus, too, but not the motivation for the purchase.

As we sat with the motor running and the ac full blast, the 'feels like' temperature was 106F. All of a sudden, the air was blasting extremely hot air. "I am going to die." Over and over, I was whining loudly. It took two minutes to get the car started and moving so I could get some relief. It seems as long as the car is running and in gear, we get cool air. But, we cannot let the car idle and still get cool air. Tommy explained something about a clutch in the ac. I don't know, but this needs to be repaired before it quits entirely. But, knowing him, he will wait until it is toast to repair. I felt in imminent danger. 

Tonight, I am having spaghetti and big salad. Tommy is having all leftovers--pork loin, carrots, potatoes, onions, Bell pepper, collards. 

Have you experienced a lack of ac that left you gasping for air and fearful? 

Do you ever use a cream for rough heels, hand cream or anything like that? Can you share what works?

20 comments:

  1. Until last summer, I hadn't had working AC in my vehicle for many years. When I went out, the windows would all be open. I had it fixed last summer - much better. But the fresh air - even though warm/hot - still helped some until then. It was pretty miserable - but I managed.
    I use Eucerin Intensive Repair lotion. It is really good and fragrance free - which I need. It isn't cheap - but a little does it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I have had ac in car since 1970. I get congested from outside air. At this point, I must have it.
      I have heard of Eucerin Intensive Repair. I may have had it in the past. A very tiny bit of what I bought helps lots.

      Delete
  2. Funny, but the hottest I remember being has been summers in the northeast, where air conditioning was rare--and I've lived all over the U.S., including the southwest, and Florida Panhandle. That said, I certainly wouldn't have whined--not my style. The only thing I hate more than others whining is my own whining. I did inform my boss at my first real job after college, after the first hot, muggy, sleepless night in my first apartment in a big, northeastern city, that I was leaving work early that afternoon so I could take the subway to the home store, buy a window unit, and get a cab to take me home (couldn't carry it) before rush hour. His response was, "Oh, if I had driven in today, I would have taken you at lunch." That was the first major purchase I ever made, and no, I didn't compare prices, I grabbed the last 5,000 btu windw unit the store had left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      The hottest I have ever been was in Rochester in summer going from Memphis and ac to there with no ac in the car or in the home where we stayed. It was more frantic, gasping from not breathing well rather than whining. I think that was a good move to buy an ac! At least, you could sleep.

      Delete
  3. Bag Balm! Nothing better for dry skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle,
      I have heard of that. I try everything but never that. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. I had elbows just like you describe for years and tried multiple things, but when my rheumatologist put me on Humira it all cleared up and went away. Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      This started with resting elbows on console inTommy's car. It seems it is eating away my elbow as the console cover disintegrates. Thanks. I will remember that.

      Delete
  5. I have heard of urea creams before and I thought peeing on it was funny and cheap! it wouldn't stay on too well , though :)
    I'm glad it's done the job.
    My last car had windows which sometimes stopped working in the heat and there were times it took a long time for the AC to do much. Let me tell you, when I couldn't get a window to open, there were times I thought the car might kill me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      Well, it would be a great way to recycle or upcycle. And, there is always a fresh supply.
      I would panic I think if the window would not open. The heat would kill me. I never thought about the heat affecting the window.

      Delete
  6. I can't imagine that type of heat. The air in cars just couldn't keep up I bet. Thanks for the recommendation for the creme ...I have a couple of eczema spots on my legs and they are being helped by a creme (Eucerin). One spot is completely gone it looks like the others two are getting better. I'll give it a couple of more weeks and try yours if it doesn't get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vickie,
      It was so hot, hotter than I have felt lately. It was suffocating! This cream worked so fast. I will have to keep it up for a few weeks to completely clear it up, I suppose. Hopefully, I won't have to use this forever. Maybe I can get Eucerin to maintain the skin for normalcy. I might get it to slather on my legs and knees.

      Delete
  7. If I am going to sit in the car we turn it off with the windows down. Yes it is hot as it can be but at least the air moves a little. I guess I had rather be hot than to bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      With asthma, I cannot afford to sit in heat with windows down. In the past, I would have made a different choice.

      Delete
  8. Poor thing; no fun this.
    I haven't had any rough corners yet to warrant cream so I am not help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      It was painful! This is the only rough problem I have had. And, it really felt like raw skin. Even using my other hand to feel the elbow, it did not feel rough. Strange.

      Delete
  9. When I was working in Georgia I drove a friend from Alabama crazy because I would roll the windows down instead of turning on the AC. Still do.
    Vaseline jelly is what Daddy used so it's what I use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      When we need ac, we need ac...lol. I tried Vaseline and several other things, but nothing I tried worked. I still use Vaseline for other things.

      Delete
  10. I spent the early part of summer fixing the AC in two of our cars. The dealer's service dept was too inept to find the leaks, so I took them to a neighbor's shop. He put dye in the system so he could find the leaks, which he did and promptly repaired. The dealer techs were only too happy to just keep shrugging & topping off the coolant rather than finding the problem. Assholes!

    AC is crucial. My first car had no AC, and I swore I would never go without it again. I can't imagine how you folks in the South survive without it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I had that problem, too, topping off the coolant. That is no solution. We don't do well! I saw people in line at Wags with doors open. We were suffocating! Letting the motor idle is definitely making it horrible in the car. I could not roll down the window because the car exhaust was filling the car!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...