Saturday, October 7, 2023

Greek Festival

 I love the food from Greek Festival. Of course, we did not get to any other part of the fun. However, the atmosphere was upbeat. 

Of course, I could not sleep the night before. So, we set out with my having only two hours sleep. We have never gone on Saturday before. Surprisingly, it was less busy in the drive-up line than during the week. It took an hour to get there and back even with going through the line twice.

Tommy had marinated lamb, skewered and grilled (two skewers), rice pilaf, spanakopita, tiropita, Greek salad and pita bread. I had the Greek chicken with the same sides as he did. Plus, I ordered two servings of chocolate baklava. For almost $60, we had lunch and dinner. 

Tommy does not care for baklava, so both the boxes of chocolate baklava were mine...lol. He says it tastes weird. I wonder. I think the baklava I had today was the best I have ever had, chocolate or not. 

I cannot stand lamb! It is a texture thing more than taste, but the taste is not to my taste. 

spanakopita- filo triangle stuffed with feta, tiropita--filo trangle stuffed with spinach and feta. 

I will make Greek chicken one of these days because it is delicious. I wonder if they sell a Greek cookbook.  

Of course, I took a nap before dinner. Afterwards, I finished the Greek dinner. Today was a day without cooking. YAY

After I ate at lunch, I became very ill with food not going from my esophagus into stomach, I didn't really finish lunch, just was in such pain and quit. After throwing up, I sat for an hour in pain and finally went to bed for a nap. Chicken and rice are the top two offenders for not going down. Tonight, I still feel like I have been punched in midsection. 

The first time this happened, I went to ER. They had to give me a shot to keep me from throwing up continually. It seems the stomach just gets irritated or something and cannot quit, like a spasm. I was eating chicken and rice that time. 

Today was a pretty day--sunny, clear, not too hot, a perfect day for a festival. There was an art show somewhere, and something else happening around town, so I am glad there was no precipitation. 

Tommy watched football for about four hours while we ate and then when I slept. So, it was a good day for him. 

Publix has some really cute reusable bags. These have Halloween designs. I can see parents buying these for their children for Trick or Treat. I would. The Christmas ones are beautiful, at least they were last year. One employee says she buys those as gift bags instead of ones meant only for gift bags. Good idea. Most of their bags advertise Publix, not these. 

Yes, it was a pretty boring day overall, but very pleasant with good food. And, I cleaned the outside of my pink purse that was sorely in need of attention and cleaning. 

Tonight, I am dragging out all the fake pumpkins and Halloween/Thanksgiving items. 

Mostly, there was no drama, personal attacks, or loudness. That makes a great day. I had a talk with him when all calmed down, and he said he would try to do better if I would. 

Do you think baklava tastes weird? 

Do you like lamb?

Does your esophagus have low motility so that food does not go into your stomach quickly as it should? 




6 comments:

  1. I like lamb and I like baklava, though I prefer the original. My son once had the misfortune to become sick soon after eating baklava (it was a tummy bug we all had, not the food) and has never touched a slice of baklave since!
    I get reflux, not the same but very difficult to deal with.
    I'm glad you had a good day, a good food day is usually a great day all around

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I threw up after eating Tang and have not touched it for over 60 years. I was eating it with braunschweiger and won't touch that either. So, I do understand.
      Oh, right now I am sitting up at 5 am here because I cannot lie down. Yes, it is difficult to deal with.
      You are certainly correct about the good food day being a good day.

      Delete
  2. I think Tang and braunschweiger are a pretty barfable combination, Linda! Small wonder you horked. It reminds me of the time DH let toddler DD guzzle chocolate milk and lemonade in the same meal. That didn't go well, either. D'oh!

    Lamb? NEVER. Baklava is okay, but I am not really a fan of honey. I've never had chocolate baklava, so I would at least try it.

    I'm glad the day and your weather was so good. We suffered through yet more downpours. Sigh. Today is sunny and brisk but very chilly--only 57 degrees. Autumn has arrived, after last week's Indian summer (Native American summer? First Peoples summer?) of 80-ish degrees.

    Your meals sound really good (except the lamb, of course). I think I would have enjoyed it all. I'm so sorry to hear you had esophogeal spasms afterwards, though. That had to have been so very painful! And nothing to do but wait for it to work itself out. Painful AND frustrating!

    Lots of delicious Greek chicken recipes out there--no need to buy a cookbook. Here's one with over 1.5K good reviews:
    https://theforkedspoon.com/greek-chicken-marinade/

    It does call for fresh herbs, but I would sub in dried ones. The rule to sub is that you use 1/3 dried to fresh. 1 Tbs fresh = 1 tsp dried.
    And for garlic, 1 clove = 1/8 tsp garlic powder. Lemon juice can be bottled. I would just forgo the lemon zest, frankly. So there you go!

    Hope you and Tommy and your reader have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed. I was a teen and ate it and liked it until that day.

      The ER doctor said it was stomach spasms, not esophageal spasms. This went on all night.

      Thanks. It is getting chilly here, and I hate it.

      Delete
  3. PS I forgot to congratulate you on your new lime tree, and on your blooming lemon tree!

    My Meyer lemon has 5 fat green lemons right now. Apparently they take a very long time to ripen, and won't ripen further once picked. So until they're very yellow, they'll stay on the tree.

    Do you still have bees buzzing around to pollinate your lemon blooms? If not, do it yourself with a Q-tip to improve your chances of a few lemons. Don't worry if any tiny lemons drop off for no reason. The trees apparently self-select which lemons are going to mature.

    When you bring them inside, make sure they have a southern window. They need all the light they can get when indoors.

    Very excited for your blooming lemon and your new lime tree! They are really kind of fun to watch over. I've got lime tree envy now, and may just have to get one, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Thanks. This is a thornless key lime. Tommy came in and told me he was stuck by a thorn. So...??? I am looking forward to seeing a lemon or two. There are about seven buds, all touching. I figure some of them won't make it.

      Just now, I told Tommy I saw a bee on other flowers, so I think they are about all the time. I did know I would have to pollinate by hand once in the house, at least.

      One bedroom is bright all day, that's it. I have wanted a lemon tree for years.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...