Friday, May 31, 2019

Beware of Sales! Canning Peaches

At one store here in town there are terrific sales on things I want and will use. However, these sales are often not good for stock-up items. Miracle Whip was on sale for $1.50. I was ready to buy several, depending on the use-by date. That is important for MW.  However, the use-by date was in a month. I was grateful for the savings, but I only bought one jar.

So, Del Monte freestone peaches in a 28 oz. can were on sale at 4/$5, making the can $1.25. Regular price was $2.78, so I was thrilled.  Imagine my disappointment when the use-by date was 9/19. I bought four cans but intend to go back and buy eight more. I love canned peaches, and since I will not be canning peaches, this will have to do. The date will not be so important, especially as these will be used by next summer.

I love cottage cheese and peaches. This makes a meal for me or a snack. Of course, a dump cake works too, especially in the winter. Plus, I have used canned peaches for brandied fruit.

I do buy Elberta peaches when they are in season. A basket of six peaches is $6! However, they are so juicy and sweet that I get a dishtowel to put down to eat one. I bite into it and juice runs down my face! When I am ready to can again, I will drive to the farmer's market in Birmingham to buy bushels of peaches.

When I was about eleven-years-old until I was gone from home, gone to college, my mother would can bushels of peaches every summer. Daddy would show up with several bushels of peaches for Mama to can. At first, we did not have ac, so it was a long, hot, arduous job. When we got ac, it was just less hot, but still long and arduous.

She probably canned peaches before this time. But, this is when I remember and helped her.

When she got a full freezer, we froze peaches. It was still hot, just less hot. We loved to eat half-thawed for a dessert or snack. Just thinking about it takes me back to my teen years. I may just buy Elberta peaches, freeze them and then thaw them to eat.

There is nothing as delicious as home-canned or frozen peaches!

Do you ever find sales that are too good to be true and then discover they are almost at their use by dates? Now, I will eat older canned food, but really hate buying it almost old.

Did you ever, or do you can peaches? Is it a beloved childhood memory like mine? Do you love a juicy peach?

6 comments:

  1. I can remember one summer we were in Kentucky to visit relatives and a big storm came through. There was an orchard that had white peach trees and the wind knocked a lot of them to the ground. We picked up bushels of peaches and took them back to Indiana to can and freeze. Those were the best peaches that I ever had. I buy white peaches once in a while but they never measure up to what I remember the ones from Kentucky tasting like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ladybug,
      White peaches are good, too, especially free ones you picked yourself! That must have been a fragrant ride back to Indiana.

      Delete
  2. My mother loved canned peaches, and I always canned them for her. I don't know if I will do that again unless I can find a really good buy. I will freeze them. I just found canned milk 4/1 and I was so excited. Well the sell by date was 6/2 19. so I skipped it! Dang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I hope to find a better buy when I decide to can. Canned milk is different than canned peaches. I would not want to chance that. Milk gets icky when it is old. I now have a dozen can of these peaches. By the 9/19 date, I will have used several and Tommy will have eaten more at his house.

      Delete
  3. As a kid we canned pickled peaches and loved them. Now my tastes have changed and I am not a fan, but I do still freeze peaches every year. Reminds me I have a couple of packs in the freezer from last summer. I think TheHub will be eating peach cobbler a few nights next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I don't think I have ever had pickled peaches, but I never eat pickled anything. I am quite sure the Hub will not object to peach cobbler. Frozen peaches are heavenly!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...