Saturday, June 1, 2019

Out of Control, Death and Carb Effect

In my kitchen there is an embarrassment hiding. When I moved in here in 1977, I initially placed recipe books, torn out recipes, hand written recipe books, and single sheets of paper with recipes in one place. You know that corner part of a cabinet? The part you cannot readily see? Well, there has been "drift" from that perfect spot.

It is a mess since the smaller pieces of paper and full sheets have drifted out from their spot. Occasionally, I have sort of straightened this out and tried to contain the "drift" that seems to inevitably occur when I have the doors to the cabinet shut. It's sneaky!

Although the concern has been decades in the building, I finally decided to do something about it. For months I considered finding the perfect box the size of a sheet of paper to use to pull out all the "drift" so I could sit and sort. Mind you, five minutes of pulling out paper would be the limit. Finally, I spotted a storage box, clear with locking lid. This will work. It may take me months to conquer this hidden problem. But, I am determined it will be done.

Send me some psychic energy. I need it. Maybe a few threats will help. I never seem to get to the bottom of this pile. It is sort of like never finishing the ironing in the basket.

Don't get me wrong, picking through the piles once in a while occurs. . . . seldom, but I do try to pretend I am cleaning out the cabinet. I suspect most of the recipes will no longer interest me.

I decided to call my best friend ever since a call was overdue. When I could not find her number, I googled her name and got an obituary. The room spun. My vision was fuzzy. The room darkened. Her death is the most devastating death outside my immediate family. She died two years ago at age 72, the age I am now. The explanation--a brain bleed from Eliquis and Aleve.  I need to know more.

We both pulled our cars up to the pool to pick up our older children. We both got out of our respective car with an almost-two-year-old in arms. I told her, "Elvis died." She stammered and sort of laughed, suggesting I was kidding. We both cried.

My five hour "nap" on Friday afternoon/evening was the result of shopping stress, heat, and carbs. Certain carbs make me pass out, not literally, but my head on a pillow means four hours gone. At the lunch the other day, my blood sugar rose too much, so we left and I walked round and round the car as I waited for Tommy. The little bit of extra exercise did seem to work to bring my blood sugar down. I think the two portions of cake kicked me over the edge. The portions are so small that I really only had a normal sized slice of cake. Of course, I had been up for 15 hours. Does anyone else have this occur? Do carbs have a knockout effect on you?


13 comments:

  1. Carbs don't do that to me,even though I am Type 2 diabetic, but if I overdo it with my one severely arthritic knee and other one a replacement, it absolutely wears me out to the point of exhaustion. That is when I sit down and can doze off for two or three hours, depending on how much I over did things. I have found that I am only as good endurance-wise as my worst knee. I hope that after your 15 hours or more up, you will be able to get some sleep soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      You have a problem with pain exhausting you like I do. Even if I get sleep, I am exhausted by back pain if I over do it. Between pain, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, no sleep and the heat, I was exhausted. I got sleep, but need about three days to recover fully. It's a bummer! It sounds like we are in the same boat.

      Delete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Carbs make me sluggish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. T'Pol,
    Thanks. It took me a while to figure that out. I am getting better at avoiding them, resisting temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I am so sorry about your friend!! I have had two friends die in the last three months. Getting old is hard in the best of times, but especially difficult when we must deal with deaths. It is a good time to think about things we can do to make our own health better. Less carbs is certainly on my list! Also a bit more exercise will definitely help me. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana60,
      I have had quite a few die, just not one of the best friends I ever had and for longest. Yes, I always try to improve myself.

      Delete
  5. I am sorry about your friend, hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry you lost a friend. Friends are precious commodities.
    Sending you some energy to get started on your task. I am in the process of totally emptying each cabinet, drawer and closet to get rid of our excess stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann3, Thanks. I can only think of what is behind this bank of doors. Maybe another day I will pick something else...lol.

      Delete
  7. So sorry about your friend. It is hard. I lost my first contemporary 5 years ago and now I have 2 more good friends dying fron cancer. One going on hospice this week, so I am dreading that message. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      A high school classmate died trying to turn into our yard when I was in hs. It started early for me. He was my brother's friend even though he was in my class.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...