Friday, June 7, 2019

Remember?

Last Fall my last post was about having no heat. I knew I needed a new 220 outlet since it had made huge black place on the outlet cover and had a burning smell. Before I left to go to Lowe's, I checked the cord to the heater. Well, the plug was melting.  I think it cost $30 for the heater plug, 220 outlet, and outlet cover.

So, I averted a crisis by not using the heat and checking the plug as well as the outlet and cover. I gave the neighbor $30. He said the amount was fine. I saved $100 by NOT using the $140 electrician.

It was cold but not unbearable since I knew exactly which day I would have heat. I did not hesitate to use the dryer or oven during these few days.

The milk in the refrigerator was not cold as usual. Several items in the freezer started to soften. Sooo, I planned to get a refrigerator. The delivery people, well, one of them was an idiot. I told them to put the refrigerator back and take the new one back to the store. It was still on the truck. I was going to pay someone with a brain to deliver the refrigerator. As it turned out, the milk once again became almost icy cold.

The only thing I can figure is that dirt on the underside of the refrigerator was loosened as they put it on the dolly. I found a large mat of dirt that looked like thick felt on the floor. The floor was clean and the filter had been cleaned. I am still not sure, but it appears that the underside of a refrigerator can become very dirty.

Who can clean the underside of the refrigerator? It rolls out to clean under the refrigerator.

When Tommy was here, I gave him a bit of milk to show him how it was barely cold. He said his milk was always that temperature. That temp is not safe.

This is only my second refrigerator since 1966. I am not ready to buy another.


8 comments:

  1. IF you do not clean the coils behind the fridge it will not work as well so that was the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I cleaned it per instructions. There is a door in the front to clean also.

      Delete
  2. Yep! People don't realize how much crud accumulates in coils of fridge. Last summer hubby hooked up his air compressor, built a "tent" around lower fridge, & blew the hell out of the stuck crud. Makes a huge difference. Most ppl would just buy a new fridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie Q,
      That is one way to clean the coils! I cannot imagine where the crud was stuck unless underneath. I wonder how many people do just buy a new refrigerator.

      Delete
  3. I do this on a regular basis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I. I cannot imagine what happened. I suppose I will have to tilt it up to clean the bottom of the refrigerator. ???

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...