Thursday, July 25, 2019

Well, That Went Sideways!

Yesterday, I arranged to have the garbage men come to the garbage in the backyard and carry it out for me and bring the can back. The arrangements went smoothly and everyone was nice.

This morning I looked out the door about 7:30 and the garbage was still in place, strapped to the porch railing. However, the can with recycling was empty! Oh, NO! I had tried so hard to do the right thing and now all the recycling was going to the dump! I actually was depressed, well, disheartened.

So, I called the office in the city and explained how things had gone wrong. He assured me the garbage men would get the trash. He had talked to recycling guys and they were going to get the recycling for me, too!

Whew, I felt foolish. Not only that, relief washed over me, knowing the recycling had not gone to the wrong place. Still, I wondered. I doubted.

Barry Manilow is on TV (8:30 am) singing 'Copacabana." The kids and I turned this song up on the radio in the car and sang along.

As I hung up the phone, I heard something outside. I got to the door and saw the empty trash can and saw the guy disappearing around the corner of the house. Feeling foolish, I called the guy in the city and told him it had all happened like he said it would. This was 8:15.

There have been mornings that I have tried to take just one light bag of trash to the road at 6:30 in the morning and the garbage can had been emptied, either mine or the neighbor's. So, today was an anomaly in terms of time.

When I awoke at 6:15 and went to the bathroom, I looked out the door window. I saw a possum tail disappearing under the house. The hole he went into once upon a time had a cute little window. One day, the window was blown out like it had been shoved out. I put the wooden window back together and tried to repair it. Repeatedly, something shoved the window out until I gave up and the window was just bits of wood and mangled screen.

So, I am up and did not get enough sleep.

At least my efforts righted without much effort and a lot of worrying on my part.

One of Tommy's neighbors saw him struggling to get the garbage can to the road while using his canes or the walker and now the guy takes his can to the road. Of course, the can now sits right in front of his house. He can drop things in without going down stairs or ramp.

Once again, yesterday I kept my blood sugar under control. Well, I did not check it but I did not have the fading away feeling and did not sleep at all during the day. I ate chocolate cake with milk and followed it with a chaser of chicken breast.

I just returned from the fourth Thursday night free dinner. We had pulled pork on a bun, container of bbq sauce at each place, green beans, mashed potatoes, potato chips, unsweetened tea, and apple pie. I did not eat the bun or chips. It was delicious. The pulled pork was in large chunks, making it taste better.

A trip to the pharmacy will quiet my cell texts.

Did you get lots of things done today? Doe your garbage service help seniors with disabilities?

4 comments:

  1. Our garbage service will have door pickup with a note from a doctor, providing it is on the doctors letterhead.
    Glad you got yours taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I suppose that cuts down on malingerers. With just my word, I am sure my staggering around and difficulty walking convinced them. I could have had this service for 20 years. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I think that is sweet that the garbage men will come to help you. You will need to treat then at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I plan to do so. I will make pumpkin bread and pound cake loaves, so each of the guys can have his own.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...