Sunday, July 14, 2019

Sunday Doldrums and Nothing Interesting except Celery

A two hour harangue will wear me down faster than a beating. I did survive yesterday! But, I hurt today--bones, muscle, skin.

However, I was not defeated mentally. I did a bit in the kitchen, more than I am usually able to do. The friend who said he was coming back, did not. The woman who was going to work for pay cancelled. CRAP!

The weather was a mix of everything but snow. The skies were sunny and blue with few clouds, then completely high cloudy, then severely overcast. I could see the storm approaching on radar with lots of lightning strikes. When it arrived it was just mild rain, a few sprinkles and no lightning in hearing or sight. The weather is ruled by Barry, and I must say, we are little affected, thankfully.

I went to gas station near the little flood with the car in it. The car was towed from the water according to the guy who owns the station.

At the storm drains there were toys, chairs, trash cans, and all sort of debris that had been washed down in the fast and heavy rain. One near my house looked like a trash heap.

Laundry never ceases. Somehow, I was down to only three nightgown. I found four more to wash. Things fall behind the clawfoot tub! So, they are hanging all around in doorways along with many pairs of panties. I could not have unexpected company. Even when Tommy comes, I take everything down most of the time.

I have so many nightgowns because I get hot in my sleep and need a new one often. I don't normally get sweaty, just uncomfortable and itchy. Plus, having more means I wash less often. And, since I always hang gowns, they don't dry fast as if I put them in the drier. Since I have so many in rotation, I won't need gowns for ten years. Most were on sale.

Kitty spends less and less time here. Her voice, the inevitable meowing, has grown weaker and less demanding. She stays far away from me. It might be my accidentally stepping on her twice that makes her keep her distance. Tonight, I started talking to her and she was right back to her loud demanding and running too close beside me and stopping short in front of me. I fed her and she seemed happy.

One goal this summer is staying hydrated! Thankfully, I love water due to my mother's not giving us sweetened drinks as a matter of course. Now that I can drink what I want and do love Kool Ade and Cokes, I still stick with water or plain tea.

I have so far refused to pay $4.99 or $3.99 for a head of celery. But, I have reached the end and will buy celery tomorrow even if have to trade Kitty for it. Why is celery so high right now? I want tuna salad with celery. I want potato salad! I want celery for flavoring in meats. The base of the celery will grow more for me. I will not be dehydrating it as usual, but I can flash freeze it and then dump it in a bag so I can use just a bit. I will not be able to use it for the crunch.

4 comments:

  1. If you have a Sprouts in Cullman, I bought celery there for 1.79 this week. Reminds me that I need to use it or chop it and freeze it for later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,
    There is no Sprouts here. I can find one Tommy can go to and buy it for me. But, it is such a struggle for him to even get in and out of his vehicle, that I may not. I just read that flooding of celery fields is the reason celery is so high. I do have celery seed but the taste is not the same nor is the volume or crunchiness. Thanks for the tip. I may have to go to Huntsville for a doctor's appointment and can get it there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a reason celery has quadrupled in price since late last year........
    https://lancasteronline.com/features/here-s-why-celery-has-quadrupled-in-price-since-november/article_112b7f18-8cf0-11e9-8041-b72ec5b5dfbc.html?fbclid=IwAR05f1P9NIPaPS4qy1mzY4-q67pqkA78MMn31rQQVWyF9kN5_LY0FfUmzJM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      I hope you are feeling better. I have had muscle spasms in my back several times and thought I was dying. It was worse than having a baby. But, your pain sounds worse and longer-lasting than mine. Yep, growing conditions--too much rain. Thanks.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...