Thursday, August 1, 2019

Frugal Moves and Decluttering

After washing several loads of laundry, I managed to hang almost all of them. One load had over 20 pairs of panties. The next had linens. The last was five pair of black pants, four dark patterned blouse that are mostly black. Cold water washed all of them. The first two loadshad Oxy-Clean and ALL in them. The last load had only vinegar--no laundry soap.

None of these were a full load, but each load was necessary. I saved money and resources every way possible. The only way I could have done better was to take them to a river and beat them on a rock.

I have left the car sitting in the driveway since Monday except for a Thursday run to get a chocolate cone for $1 at Dairy Queen. I don't know how long this special lasts.

The ac does run day and night, but this is not an area where I am willing to skimp to save money.

There were/are about six pair of my last sandals around here, the ones I bought in 2006. All but one pair will go in the trash. They are so worn I would not insult anyone by offering these. One pair will stay in the car for walking in rain getting back to the house.

In 1998, I found some t-straps that were the most comfortable pair of shoes I have had before or after. It is the only shoe I have ever not kicked off after work to relieve my feet. I bought 6 or 7 pair. I will put one pair in Tommy's car to use for rain walking if I am in his car. Another two will stay in the house to wear to car or in yard for times it is damp out.

They are leather and flat, just what a person needed for a classroom. I also had a job working with disabled individuals in B'ham, so flat comfortable shoes were the thing.

Then, I have two or three pair of flats that do not fit so well since I have gotten fat feet. But, they are wearable as long as I do not have to walk much. They go, too. Since I have diabetes, I am afraid to wear them because they are snug on my toes. No use courting trouble.

The purse I recently retired will be used to hold diabetic supplies--lancets, test strips, and needles. I have enough to fill a purse...lol. I panic when I think I am out and I just don't want to have to search them amongst OTC and that kind of stuff. I use old purses to store things.

A lot of leather is leaving the house. I suppose I was keeping shoes until I found replacements. I have. I have had a tendency to buy multiples when I find a good shoe, then wear one or two pair until I need a replacement which I have stored. This time, I have not found the all-purpose shoe, just comfortable sandals in three styles. I will find it!

What have you decluttered lately or ever?


10 comments:

  1. I am a continual declutterer. I have a box in the laundry room continually for anything we are no longer using and at least once a month one of the local non-profits call asking for donations plus they pick it up at the door. Win/win! I have gotten rid of nearly all the shoes I don't wear on a fairly regular basis. There are a couple of pair I am holding on to just to see if I wear them this winter. If not they are gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time I was a continual declutter. I, too, had a box in the closet. In it I put things outgrown by my kids, still good toys, just anything. Then, I had a yard sale. I did this until about 10 years ago when I had my last yard sale.

      Delete
  2. Like Anne I am a continual declutterer! I love that word! I went through my bras the other day and got rid of an entire sack full. They still fit, but I had way too many. That drawer looks much better.
    It sounds like you have been doing lots of housework and decluttering too! May we all keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      Read response to Anne. I would never get rid of bras that fit. I would just keep and wear them out. But. that is me. No, I have not been doing a lot of housework, just washing clothes. I should be doing housework. LOL...do we get a choice on keeping it up? Thanks for all your comments.

      Delete
  3. I cleaned out my pantry recently and donated some food to the little free pantry here as they were some things we were not going to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that when I had j to help me. The woman who started it takes almost every thing out BECAUSE she said there is too much food in there.

      Delete
    2. My husband and I we tnthrough our closet and collected clothes we no longer wear or have never worn and donated them to the Haitan ministry at our church. We each had a construction trash bag of clothes and shoes. Our closet clothes rods thank us! It was a lot a weight on those poor rods.

      Delete
    3. Lisa,
      That is a lot of clothes! Those clothes will be appreciated by the recipients. I am quite sure the rods appreciate the pounds off them.

      Delete
  4. I can not declutter enough. Last weekend I purged out some drawers it was most satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that Continual declutterer ... ME TOO.
    I am the same with shoes (Please take care of your feet, aunt was a diabetic and lost part of her foot from a sore caused by her shoes) I just found some Mary Jane's dress shoes at Amazone. Brandy at The Prudent Homemaker site daughter had ordered them and she posted a pic of Winter wearing the shoes. I bought 4 pairs. I have 2 pairs of the flats I love etc. I have high instep and high arches and wear a 3 in children's shoes... hard to find ADULT shoes. I decluttered clothes a couple months ago... have no closets and only 2 racks to hang clothes on.I'll be going through them again getting rid of what I didn't wear this summer. I even have 3 purse, same style just different basic colors that I used to hold what ever until I need the purse as a purse....

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...