Saturday, August 10, 2019

Sometimes I Wonder...Westerns| Saturday in a Nutshell

I love Westerns. But, I suppose I have seen too many because I get involved in the what is happening and how it could have happened.

For instance, tonight, I was watching a movie where men basically standing still could not shoot each other. The bad guys were no better or less shots than the good guys.  As a matter fact, the two good guys were up against 6-8 bad guys. Neither of the good guys died even though one was shot in the arm.

At other times and in other movies, men hiding under wagons are shooting at Indians riding by. The men at time are dead shots. They get an Indian with most shots. I know it is possible to hit moving targets. But, it happens so often.

Another thing about Westerns. I am surprised at the social conscience of some movies where the hero explains that the Indians were here first, that we mistreat them, and that they do not have the same rights we do due to our doings. This pleases me.

No matter how good a shot the bad cowboys are, they can never seem to shoot the hero. There can be a dozen good guys against one or a dozen bad guys. The hero good guy is always left standing even though he is just as visible as his good guy friends who get killed.

Mama said I started biting my nails while watching movies at the drive-in. She kept telling me, she said, that everything would be okay, that the hero was not going to die. You know how suspenseful some of the cat and mouse chases can be. Obviously, I was not persuaded.

There are other things about Westerns that defy reason, well my reason. But, the gunfights are the most puzzling. I know the good guys will win even though as a child I feared for him.

Nothing happened today except that I bought bananas and blueberries and ate same. The day was very nice, not a postcard sky but still with no rain, I was happy in the heat. After all, I have ac. lol

I talked to Tommy and finally found a guy to do some work for me.

That is my Saturday in a nutshell. Oh, I took a nap about 7pm tonight. I found no money. I found no sales. I did not look. I had no drama with anyone. I had no particular joy with anyone. However, it was a good Saturday overall. I got a Whopper Jr. with only lettuce and tomato only.

Do you ever watch Westerns with a critical eye, analyzing the actions on the screen? What actions do you watch for? How was your day today?






10 comments:

  1. I am not particular about Westerns but, I always support the Natives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch westerns, but my Dad loves them. Sounds like you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not grow up watching Westerns. I figured they were all the same: a justification for taking the law into your own hands. I am certain there are 'great' westerns but not all are rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Mostly, I am not discriminating. I will watch most Westerns. Some plots are predictable. I watch for the art of the performance and sometimes the stories.

      Delete
  4. I am not a fan of westerns but nearly all movies require a certain amount of suspending belief. I know there are exceptions but most movies have the good guy succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is what Mama tried to tell me--he won't die because he is the star. Well, she did tell me but could not convince me. I am the master of suspending disbelief.

      Delete
  5. We weren't really allowed to watch westerns, or have toy guns, or really associate with anything glorifying violence growing up. Violence wasn't entertainment. We were, however, allowed to watch movies which had some historical accuracy such as "Battle of the Bulge" and "Pork Chop Hill." My family also loved "M*A*S*H." We were encouraged to watch war documentaries as well. Those certainly cured me of wanting to watch violent/horror movies or read horror books. Reality was far more horrifying than any fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am much older than you. We just went to the drive-ins. None of us are violent or damaged.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...