Friday, September 13, 2019

So, Here is the Breakthrough

When I first came here, I only had clothes in bags, plastic bags, large and small. I put them down in front of the sofa and collapsed. I knew he would let me hang my few things in a closet, but I didn't ask. The third day, he volunteered to make some room in the closet for me. I had seen his kilt with a quarter of the fabric consumed by silverfish. He had no idea why there were holes.

So, I have been loathe to put clothes in there. I have a few things on a chair which has box of clothes on it, nothing in the closet. I mentioned yesterday that I wanted to spray the closet but not his clothes. He sid he never wore those clothes so just spray them. He said he had all the shirts he liked and wore in a box beside him--right here. You must remember his difficulty in walking. He also has a hat/coat rack with pants and woven shirts hanging on them. I smiled when I saw that. Oh, he does not care who knows.

So, yesterday, I asked him if he wanted me to move all his clothes into the other closet. He said that one has even more of a problem! Shudder!!! I offered to bring all his shirts from "my" closet to let him choose what he wanted to keep and I would not spray them. Well, this all came down to he would just donate everything he does not wear now.

Will miracles never cease?

He has allowed me throw out cans of food with 2012 best by date. These are things I gave him and he was glad to get. The silverfish are my goal before they eat my new clothes.

He had every cottage cheese container I ever gave him with food in it. They were all in the refrigerator, unwashed. When I needed room for my milk, he took about ten out. I have been throwing them out one at a time. I have seen his lack of ability to clean and carry things from one place in the house to another, so I am just sorry for him, not disgusted. One day, when this place is ready, I will convince him to have the whole house cleaned. But, I know I can only get him to agree to kitchen/dining area first.

I have not been feeling well for about ten days and thought it was the situation. Well, today, I could not walk without thrashing around, unable to balance and walk, drunk as a bicycle. It is a UTI, not surprising. I never feel light-headed, just like I am going to tip over sideways.

Today, it was 100 F. summer has not given up yet. I have no coats or sweaters or sweatshirts or socks, gloves. Everything I bought was sleeveless or short sleeved and, so, on sale.

So, the breakthrough made me happy. I just know someone will disapprove of my throwing out a cottage cheese or sour cream container that is amongst dozens and has been in the refrigerator and now on the counter for weeks. Get over it.

Are you loving the heat we have left so late?

13 comments:

  1. It sure sounds like he needs assisted living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole,
      No, he does not, just a little help cleaning the house.

      Delete
  2. I’m fully in favour of your cleaning and clearing of the fridge and the wardrobes. You are improving the health of the house for both of yourselves. Little by little is the best way to go! You sound happier maybe because you are feeling useful and valuable again after so much trauma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      When I came here, I had no intention of cleaning the place for him. I have basically known for ten years the state of his house. I just had not been here for 12 years. No one wants to hear about pain just lightness. So, like I have done so long for my readers, I can pretend.

      Delete
  3. You are making great progress at Tommy's. Remember the old Chinese saying, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Bu why would anyone in their right mind disapprove of your throwing out a cottage cheese or sour cream container that is amongst dozens and has been in the refrigerator and now on the counter for weeks? Are you implying that some of your readers are a few fries short of a happy meal? I, for one, have all my fries so would never do such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhymes,
      It is his place and he wants to be in control. It is weird because he knows I am not physically capable of being a whirlwind of cleaning...lol. Some days I wonder about the fries but have not counted them...lol. It seems I have done nothing right according to some readers!

      Delete
  4. Heavens I have to toss those containers when Hubby isn't around and take the trash out before he does. He brought home from the family reunion a buffet style aluminum pan that my brother was going to through away as he had brought fried chicken breasts (25 of them ) in it for the dinner. I've yet to "hear" what Hubby thinks we will use it for.

    I don't mind the heat, better than the cold for me but my 2 older dogs have a lot of issues with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      I have saved things that I actually use, but there seems no use for these. We had a dog that became youthful once the weather started to cool.

      Delete
  5. You are making progress and I think in the end Tommy will like it. Slow and steady wins the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Thanks. I am always slow but have to do things in fits and starts because of my back. He quit complaining about three days after I got here. Funny thing was, I was doing nothing to annoy him.

      Delete
  6. I hope this bodes well for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I am asking the obvious and I missed it in a post, but has your healthy greatly improved, or maybe energy? You mentioned you had dishes you hadn't done in a year at your home? Have you gained momentum if you are able to help Tommy clean up his containers for example?

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...