Thursday, October 17, 2019

Exhausted with Pleasure Thursday

For weeks I have spent nights tossing and turning, wracked with pain in my stomach and reflux. For the last two days, I have taken my med for reflux. I have tried not to take it because it is implicated in dementia. I finally gave in. When we went to Cullman yesterday, I had had maybe four hours sleep. Last night, I slept ten hours, making up slightly for weeks of sleep deprivation.

I usually eat before I go to bed. I am very erratic in what I eat at night and when. Last night and the night before, I ate two pieces of bread and milk. I dip the bread in the milk. As a child, that is what I ate as bedtime snack. You know how kids are always hungry for something at bedtime. It may seem like a heavy snack. I am going to cut down to half the milk and one slice of bread.

It worked. Other nights, I had real food not bread and milk. Last night, I had NO reflux after going to bed. I went to sleep fairly easily after I quit wondering what the noise was. I woke once to go to the bathroom and slept until 10 am. Oh, I had taken Melatonin as I do every night. Because of the pain, I just lay there sleepy and unable to lie still.

Just now, about noon on Thursday, we saw a Roto Rooter commercial. I asked Tommy if he had managed to call a plumber. He did not become angry or show any negative emotions. He just reached for the phone book. This is new, not negative emotions about the tub problem and solution.

Last night, I put the sweet potatoes in a bedroom, the one nearest to kitchen door for ease. This morning, I went into the room. There was a corded phone on the floor in a corner. I carried it back in the living room and asked him if it worked. He said no. He watched me drop it in the trash and did not say a word. !!! He is now talking to a plumber.

The plumber on the phone said he would be here in a few minutes as he was at BK, just a short distance. I feared this was a plumber who could not keep work and was not very good. No, he arrived in a huge box truck. He had been "at the lake" giving an estimate." They pointed out the woman two doors down worked in their office. And, he said he had dated the daughter of the guy across the street, a friend of Tommy's. So, I guess we are in good hands. They are now trying to plunge out the tub and will replace the commode that is broken, to the tune of almost $900.

They asked if he wanted a taller commode. YES! And, he wish aloud it were even higher. So, I will show him the riser things for commode tops. I might not even be able to climb on top of it. He did not care if it is a round or elongated bowl, so I asked for round. Elongated bowls are a pain to me.

I am tall with long legs, but it seems that my lower legs are shorter than normal for a person my height. My feet will not hit the floor in some chairs and all booths. It is strange to me and other people, yet my legs do not look strange or misshapen because I am shorter from the knees down. At any rate, the round bowl will be better for me and makes no difference to him. They could not get the drain fully draining. They have left to get the commode and will be back.

Okay, the total is $1094.00. Now, the tub can be cleaned. I told Tommy, he needs to get a cleaning service to do the job of cleaning the bathroom. The floor is disgusting. Today, I asked him if the black spots were poop. He nodded. My back and body cannot clean a dirty floor, much less a floor of tiny tiles that are going to need lots of scrubbing. There are large tiles, abut 6" in shower and half way up the bathroom walls. The tiny tiles cover the vanity top. I hate tiles. Anyway, progress! I always wore shoes into the bathroom!!!

A banana and glass of milk was my breakfast an hour after I took my reflux medicine. For lunch I had one breaded chicken tender. Tommy had one breaded tender on a pita. He did not stick the chicken in the pita. He had it wrapped up like a gift. I asked and he knew it was pita, but he could not find the slit, so he just wrapped it.

Usually I have to pee often, sometimes every fifteen to thirty minutes. But, get a new, clean commode installed, and I have no urge at all. I started to just go sit to feel it. When I did go, it was so easy to get up without having to hold onto the nasty tile vanity.

Dinner is frozen fried chicken, Romaine, carrots and tomatoes. I forgot to put any sweet potatoes into the oven. sigh

We went grocery shopping and I found sales. That is for tomorrow.

15 comments:

  1. Pretty soon you'll have that place so cleaned up you'll want to stay indefinitely, and he won't want you to leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year we got a comfort height toilet, but with my knees, it still wasn't tall enough for me so we also got a removable riser for it.

    What a relief it must be to get the tub drain working right. I like that bubbling, sanitizing spray for the tub (even though the scent is so strong it bothers me and my little dog). Husband has been cleaning the tub for the past couple of years, since my knees got bad, whenever it needs it. He is never thrilled about it at all. We are shower people, so it isn't too often that he needs to. By next summer, with any luck, my knees should be able to clean again and do my normal stuff.

    I have found that for the bathroom vanity counter I like using regular old peroxide, sanitizes like bleach,but without the stench of chlorine. It only took me until I was about 62 years old to think of using peroxide for cleaning in and around the bathroom sink. Maybe the Scrubbing Bubbles would bubble off the stuff on your bathroom floor and sanitize the floor if you could just do a small part of the floor each day or so. My house is very cluttered up right now, and things are in weird places that are easy for me to get to. It would send me into an embarrassed panic attack to hire someone to come into the house and clean it for me right now as it is. Just this week I have been able to start doing short little cleaning projects. I have not asked my husband to put away any of the stuff that I have moved to where I can get to it easily, because I think he would put things away really well, but not necessarily where I would ever be able to find them again.

    Isn't that aggravating to get dinner all cooked and realize you forgot to put part of the dinner in the oven to bake. I have done that before. My husband and I are not sweet potato eaters, but I sometimes bake one for our little Fuzzy dog. One sweet potato lasts several days, and if I put just a touch of butter on it, he gets so happy his whole little old body shakes with excitement while he eats it. I freeze about half of his potato in little dabs, and get some out each day for him. He can't eat much at a time, as he only weighs 8 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie,
    Why will your knees be better by next year? Scrubbing Bubbles for the floor? I saw him raking up poop with his foot today. Yuck!

    I have read that peroxide sprayed and vinegar sprayed separately will sanitize almost 99% of germs. We will buying both tomorrow.

    When I was young, I thought it was strange what old people kept by their bedsides and chair side table in the living room. Well, now I know.

    Maybe we can get the bathroom to the point that he will have someone come in and do a really good job on the bathroom floor.

    My elderly neighbor's daughter and granddaughter cleaned up for her and she could never find restaurant gift certificates. The neighbor questioned me and I know she thought I took them. A year later she found them in a drawer with other missing items. I have had people in years past put up dishes and I had to replace the item as it was gone to me.

    My friend buys huge sweet potatoes when they are on sale for his huge dogs to gnaw. He says they love them. An 8 lb dog could eat for years off these 80 lbs. Tommy and I both love sweet potatoes. He has never turned one down that I have offered and loved to take them home to eat.

    Thanks for the Scrubbing Bubbles information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love raised toilets. I just realized how strange that sounds but the last two places we have lived we got raised toilets installed right away and a few months ago I convinced my mom who lives in Oregon to do the same at her house. She was here visiting and said it was so much easier on her knees and back to get up off of. I am sold. I hate going to a bathroom out in public because it feels like the toilet is practically on the floor now after having the raised ones. lol. Take care. Progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I love them. In public I have seen people drag themselves off the high commode and leave streaks. That displeases me. I imagine some 5' woman could not get off and made a mess. Yes, short toilets seem too low for me now.

      Delete
  5. We love sweet potatoes and they are healthy but I never have seen more than stores selling them a lb at a time.
    You staying with Tommy as Carole mentioned, does seem to solve a lot of problems. The place can be fixed up and you can watch each others health. Why aren't your kids more active in this tho?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I went to the farm to buy them. I think you left a word out of the sentence. I am trying to encourage him.

      Delete
  6. I am too much of a gentleman (old school) to participate in a conversation about high toilets or low toilets!

    Until next time, I remain
    RWP

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have raised commodes in all our bathrooms. I would just spray the floor with a good solution of hot water ,vinegar and let it soak then mop with one of those mop buckets that squeeze out the mop for you. Do this over and over and it will come clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      I have never had a raised commode before. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. I am short from the knees down... I am short too LOL We have high toilets as they are better for wheelchairs.

    I have a small step stool that is plastic in the bathroom. Got the stool at Walmart or Lowes/Home depot/ Menards as I have several.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chef,
    It is hard to make everything fit everyone, so I suppose that is why stools were invented. MY plastic stool is Gone To The Dump.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is nice to read a happy entry from you.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...