Friday, November 8, 2019

Now, the rest of Friday

Okay, this is the rest of the day, Friday. It really does not merit its own post. We went to the doctor. But, first, I went shoe shopping.

The internet indicated there was a SAS store just below my doctor's office. I wanted to go there first. The pair of shoes I wanted after looking at SAS online site did not fit me in the size I wear in SAS. So, I went wide. Nope, did not fit. Went up a half size. NO! Went to wide. Still, it did not fit either. The woman watching said, "Your feet look swollen." I had the thought on the tip of my tongue. I nodded and told her my feet were swollen. After trying on shoes with Velcro and finding they did not fit either, I opted to come back when my feet were not swollen. Bummer!

I went to the doctor and got an antibiotic. I love that doctor.

Sam's Club was on our list of places to go. Tommy has a card. It has been ten years since I have been to a Sam's Club. He bought cereal and some sort of oatmeal cookie, got pens for his insulin, and Zyrtec for me. Zyrtec was $15 for 400, much less than any place else. I had a whole bottle that was stolen!

There were five people giving out samples, two of whom+ Tommy knew. Remember, Sam's Club was his retirement job. We ate there--hotdog and Coke for me, Slice of pizza and Diet Dr. Pepper for him. AND, I got a Brownie Sundae on special for $.99. I only ate half the hotdog and threw out most of the Coke to save me from drinking so much sugar. Let me tell you, the Nathan's hotdog tastes and has the texture of a Vienna Sausage. Nasty! Tommy was not in a hurry to get out of there. However, I did not test his patience by looking at every thing in the store. I did try on two coats, neither of which fit.

I was fascinated with the huge packages of cookies, cereal, mustard, etc.

The Brownie Sundae was huge. I ate the two triangles of brownie and all the ice cream I wanted. Then, Tommy finished the rest, eating two more triangle of brownie and all the caramel. I would say I left him 2/3 of the dessert.

When I got home, I was irritated I had not gone anywhere to buy a pair of scissors and a few little things I want and need. However, I was not willing to get back in the car and brave Friday night traffic. We had already driven from Hoover to Hueytown.

We are such fun-loving, wild and crazy` people.

Do you have a Sam's where you shop?
Do you buy the giant packages? If so, how many people are you supplying in your house/

16 comments:

  1. We have both Sam’s and BJ’s. We are members of BJ’s. We don’t go regularly, but when we do, we get a few bulk items (napkins, paper towels, paper plates) and a few other items, occasionally. We’ve also bought TVs and holiday items there. There’s just the 2 of us and the dogs, so we don’t get/need much in bulk. When we use to host parties and Thanksgiving dinner, this was a must go-to place. Now, mostly, we go occasionally to see what’s there. We usually get our Halloween Candy there, and go once during the holidays for bows, gift wrap, and tape.

    Hope your swelling goes down soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thought about bulk paper plates. I have discovered paper plates on sale at Publix are cheapest around. But, I will have to check that out at Sam's. Tommy was eyeing huge bags of chocolate, but I kept riding fast. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. We have Sam's club. There are two of us but even my single son shops there. We get the packs of TP,Paper towels, freezer bags, foil, plastic wrap and some food, like coffee, sugar, flour, oil and candy. I do keep track of prices because sometimes they are not the cheapest. Walmart even though part of Sam's club had cheaper sugar and flour the last 2 times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walmsrt and Sams' prices are often beat with sales at other stores. I will have to go back with list of things like you mentioned and see about the prices. Tommy pointed out BSCB at $1.72/lb. I have some of those in the freezer, so will eat and wait for cheap turkey breasts. Thanks

      Delete
  3. I use Sam's pharmacy. It is less expensive for my prescriptions and you don't need to have a Sam's card for them. I do have a card tho. They have the best produce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, the pharmacy was our largest purchase of the night. And even then, we did not fill my prescription.

      Delete
  4. Aha, so you are in Hoover! My son-in-law works in Hoover. He is a retired policeman and for many years was on the Homewood police department.

    We do have Sam's and also Costco but we don't shop in either of them. Mrs. RWP does not like crowds at all. When we go to Walmart she waits in the car.

    Maybe I surmised wrong. Maybe you are in Hueytown.

    I hope you find some shoes and some warm clothes and a winter coat soon. It was 35 degrees here this morning according to the weather app on my phone but there was ice in our birdbath and frost on our own and roof. Moral: Don't trust the weather app.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhymes,
      It is a small world! On in electric cart, I don't mind the crowds. There are microclimates where the temperature fluctuates from the norm. So, maybe the weather app was right. But, it got colder in spots. Thoreau noted that spring comes early in places in the woods.

      Delete
  5. Sam's club overwhelms me. I just can't handle the large quantities and when we buy stuff because it seems like a good deal, it tends to go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Since I found a cart before I got out of the car, and found one for Tommy immediately, the experience was a good one. I was fascinated. Maybe next time the magic will be gone...lol.

      Delete
  6. I don't like those large stores as I think they encourage people to buy way too much. Many of their so called bargains are not things you need anyway.Also if you shop loss leaders and sales you can get every single thing cheaper else where.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not go to Sam's at all anymore. I do still have a Costco card but I only buy a few things there. They have the cheapest almond flour available and I use a good bit of it and I buy my gas exclusively at Costco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      There is a Costco? Almond flour is VERY expensive, so that is good to know. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Kim,
    I agree wholeheartedly about deal and loss leaders. That is what I do everywhere That is how I shop at Publix and spend less. I use coupons, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to go to Sam's. I never did like the crowds and all the pushing about.
    Now we go to Costco but only off-hours to avoid the hoi polli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      This was on a Friday night and it was not crowded at all. A woman told me she hates coming in during holidays as she has to get out because of the crowds.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...