Friday, December 27, 2019

It's Over

The tree is down and all cards on the doors. Unfortunately, or not, there is Christmas chocolate. The temperatures have been in low 70s and high 60s and dry. I like the temperature and lack of humidity.

I thought the thing Tommy needed most was protection from rain. But, that was not to be. Even at full price, there was nothing that would suit him. I knew this from discussions. He is like me in that he gets too warm using anything water repellant with a flannel lining. Or any lining! Still, I will try the thrift store where there are guys who will actually help with looking.

About two weeks before Christmas, I saw Rubik cubes in the store. I knew he would like that and got us both one.

About a week before Christmas, I picked up a sock from the floor near where I sit. It had a hole in the heel I could put my fist through. So, I knew what I could get him he could use. At Belk's are Gold Toe socks, prohibitively expensive. I counted on their sales. Three pair were $20 but $6.99 on sale. Gold Toe lasts forever.

He liked the Rubik's cube and really liked the socks. He said most all of his socks had holes in them. I bought a Rubik's cube last year that I could barely twist. I suppose it is dying in the dump. I checked the cubes I got and they twist easily.

His present for me was huge and in a large white garbage bad with a piece of green tissue paper lying over the top and two red pieces of ribbon just lying on top. He said he tried to get me something I needed. He chose a plastic dresser-like thing, three drawers and about a foot wide. He said maybe it would help me in the bedroom. Yes, it would.

We have not been out of the driveway since Christmas Eve. It's Friday night and I have a turkey in the oven. Once again, it took both of us to get it out of refrigerator, into pan, and into the oven.

For dinner we had grilled cheese sandwich, tomato and a halo. We are so exciting.

My children had rubik cubes. Now, I have one. Did or do you? Have you ever had experience with Gold Toe socks and their durability?


























17 comments:

  1. Good deal on the socks for Tommy. I hope to get my Christmas stuff taken down tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa,
      Thanks. I was pleased with the price and timing. I suppose I will look for that price again when it is gift time again...whenever that is. I usually take mine down NYD, but there were extenuating circumstances. Where is the South do you live?

      Delete
    2. We live in Central Florida, about 35 minutes north of Disney World.

      Delete
  2. Not time to take Christmas stuff down yet..for us anyway. There is "Twelve Days of Christmas". Plus I like the tree and decorations up awhile longer. Got Gold Toe socks for DH. He has the fussiest feet. So many of his socks went to the St. Vincent donation box but he likes Gold Toe. Glad you got a gift after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      I usually leave decorations up until NYD but there were special circumstances here. I have fussy feet, too. He said most of his socks had holes, but he wore them anyway. I will have him throw away three pair of socks with holes. It is a start to getting rid of the ones with holes.

      Delete
  3. Turkey's are heavy to take in and out of the oven, aren't they?! DD happened to be standing near me when I was ready to take it out so I handed her a potholder and said grab the other side of this pan, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Yes, they are especially with my back and Tommy's osteoarthritis in his hips. It took the two of us, but not on each side. Tommy put it in the oven since he can bend with the pan and sort of dropped it on the rack I had pulled out. I shoved it in. He can bend to pick it up. Then, he put it on the stove. I can carry it when it is that high, so I made three steps to the counter. I do think I will never buy a turkey again. Of course, if one is given to me, I will manage to cook it. From now on I will buy the turkey breast.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Kim,
      And, so worth the money when they are on sale...lol.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad that you got a gift and that he liked his. I've never heard of those socks, but I've bought Darn Tough Socks (lifetime warranty) that are probably pretty similar and they are great. Merry (late) Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had been talking about getting one of those units, but was surprised. I will have to check out those socks. Late Merry Christmas to you.

      Delete
  6. I've not been on line for a few days; your shennanigans never cease to raise my eyebrows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hubby used to buy gold toe but they changed the size of the sock and he can't get them over his calves now. SAD ... We are taking our Christmas down, don't usually until after Jan 6th but my health is already going down (always does this time of year) so he decided to start outside yesterday before the cold hits (30's) tomorrow.
    Blessed be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Tommy does not have calves that need lots of room. It is like his legs are withering away. Well, my stuff is down and stored. It was not much to store. We are still having high temps. Why does your health go down this time of the year?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...