Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Goals: Past and Present, Failures and Successes

I have been hungry all day long and eating all day long. This is not a great way to start off the year. Right now, a seasoned pork loin with four new potatoes is in the oven. Blackeyed peas are done in the crockpot. A third of a baked potato is reheating for Tommy. The new potatoes are so tiny, about 1 1/4 inch across. The baked potato was so huge that Tommy has an overly generous portion and another two helpings left of the baked potato.

Fr lunch we had turkey sandwiches with leaf lettuce. Unfortunately, we had a cupcake apiece, mine with milk. A nap attacked me. Wonder why?

We stayed home all day with no desire to do anything.

Only one of last year's goals was accomplished--I lost weight in 2019. Because of the car wreck that totaled my car in 2018, I accomplished none of my goals. I cannot say what they were because they are gifts and people might read this.

As for 2020 goals, those have not been finalized.

In 2019 I started learning to paint with watercolors. My first masterpiece is in the dump along with my pad of watercolor paper I purchased and the paints and brush a blogger friend sent me. My first project was a picture of Fancy. She was my favorite chicken who died a tragic death that threw me into a depression. The depression did not last long. Now, I have to acquire more supplies and start over.

It seems I have to start over on a lot of things this year. AND, NO, I cannot share my plans since people want to tell me what to do and get upset when I don't.


My problem with swollen legs and feet needs immediate attention. So, I have appointments for tests. I also need a broken tooth extracted under anesthesia and a new one installed, a process that will take months. I was hoping for just a crown, but that is not possible.

The program that supplies me with raised beds, seeds, all supplies for a garden is happening again. So, that is a plus and a new goal. I got into the program last spring, but I had to wait my turn, a turn that has now arrived. Of course, now the doctor has curbed my intake of fiber, so this will be interesting.

Tommy got all upset that I was going to dig up his backyard. He has only seen me grow in pots, so I am puzzled as to why he things I would start digging anything now! He has a miniscule patio that he has never used since he moved here. That is where the raised beds will be.

Okay, a very present goal tonight is getting a fitted sheet on the bed. Or not.

Happy New Year!

18 comments:

  1. I hope 2020 is more serene and even marvelous for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Thanks. I can use some serenity and marvelousness in my life.

      Delete
  2. Happy new year to you! I hope 2020 will be a good year for you. Wish you all the best with your goals and plans for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. Good luck with your gardening. I have no green thumb and can’t even keep houseplants alive. Good thing I’m better with dogs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Breenlantern,
      Happy New Year to you. I am pretty good with plants. Right now, bending even a bit is impossible. I like dogs but not near me...lol. I have rescued some. Others have bitten or attacked me. I want another Border Collie.

      Delete
  4. Do what makes you happy! I hope you have a wonderful 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this year brings you improved health and happiness..............

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a better New Year. This was a rough one for you. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim,
      Thank you so much. It was rough, but things will get better.

      Delete
  7. I have been reading right along but not commenting on every post. Hope 2020 sees your life getting better in every way. We didn't put up a tree for the 2nd year in a row, and we didn't put out the nativity set for the first time since we got it in 1965. We did buy a Thomas Kincaid music box ceramic tree that lights up with a train circling its base, a little over a foot tall. That and the display of about a dozen cards was all the Christmas decorating we did. We were going out to our children's houses; nobody was coming to our house. We spent a few days in Alabama last week, a bit southeast of you between Sylacauga and Opelika. I saw Auburn campus for the very first time and was impressed with Jordan-Hare Stadium.

    Another first for us was eating black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Year's Day. I guess after all these years we are finally true Southerners.

    Think positive; things can only get better; keep looking up.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      Did you like black-eyed peas and collards? I love them. It's about time. Now, you will be okay for the New Year.

      At least you had decorations at your childrens' houses.

      Like I said, Tommy graduated from AU with engineering degree. I took several classes there after my MA.

      Happy New Ywar!

      Delete
    2. I have eaten black-eyed peas and collard greens before, just never bothered to on New Year's Day until now. I used to think blackeyed peas tasted like cardboard, pretty bland, but these were Glory brand "seasoned Southern style" and were great. Glory cost $1.39 a can and Bush and Kroger brand cost 69 cents, but the difference was worth it. The collards were chopped and just okay. I prefer the fresh ones. Don't care at all for turnip greens or mustard greens.

      My daughter's B.S. degree was from Jacksonville State and her Masters from UAB. My son-in-law was also Jacksonville State but his dad, a former high school football coach and eventually principal, graduated from Auburn. It is an Auburn family through and through. Mr daughter's family went to the Iron Bowl this year, another first. Seems to have helped AU that they were there.

      Delete
    3. Glory brand is nasty. NASTY! The seasoning in them tastes like toxic waste. I am trying to find the brands that are just water and greens. All brands quit making them plain, it seems. I love all greens even turnip and mustard. They taste especially good all mixed together. Tommy has gone to the Iron Bowl way back when he was in school. LOL, I am quite sure it helped.

      Delete
  8. Have a wonderful New Year. Your raised planting beds sound like an interesting idea. I hope you will have great success with them.

    It is cold and dreary here and I am already wishing for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie,
      I have raised tomatoes in five-gallon bucket and smaller plants in pots. These will be actual boxes, bed, for me to use, all free. It was in 50s last night and 64 in the house. And, it felt bone-chilling damp.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...