Monday, February 24, 2020

Monday, Monday

"It takes me twice as long to not get anything done on Monday as it does the rest of the week."

But, it is not a day to cry. Outside, it is so dreary--rainy and cold. No, I have not been out. But, I can see the sky though the fanlight in the door.

I still need to wash dishes and color my hair. I am not optimistic I will get anything else done, like the dishes.

What I need to do today:
color hair
wash at least some of the dishes
cook sausage
Put the cooked sausage in scrambled eggs
bake sweet potatoes
bake rest of hamburgers, eight, I think
heat broccoli soup


Don't get me wrong. There are other things that need to be done. But, it is almost 3 pm. The list above is bare bones what must be done.

The church pancake dinner is Tuesday night to celebrate Lent. I thought getting rid of fats were more important than getting rid of flour. I don't participate in Lent or know much about Fat Tuesday.  But, the decree is no meats at a pancake dinner. The Kiwanis pancake dinner always had sausage.

However, when I said "only pancakes?" ,I got an adamant answer from the preacher's wife. Since I am not fond of planning a meal of carbs/sweets and calling it dinner, I will make scrambled eggs with sausage for Tommy and me. I would scramble more eggs, but I do not want to cross her. lol No one can object to people eating in a way that is necessary. Honestly, i don't care what she thinks!

We need to go to Cullman tomorrow and be back by 5 pm at the church. I won't have time to cook. I suppose i will take real maple syrup with me, since they will have none, just regular pancake syrup. It was in kitchen all set out. I know maple syrup is high in sugar, but it also has antioxidants. Besides, I have not had maple syrup since it was destroyed in my house.

The broccoli soup was awful. Obviously, I made it wrong.

Okay, I have things to do.

Do you celebrate Lent by giving up something? What do you give up?


8 comments:

  1. I've never heard of no meat or protein on a Fat Tuesday dinner-no meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays, but that really is only a Catholic thing I thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I passed the idea by two women, telling them we are diabetic. They seemed to think protein was okay. I think that was just the preacher's wife's idea and she did not like to be questioned by me.

      Delete
  2. Being raised in a Baptist and Methodist church, I never really was taught the concept of Lent. However, as an adult, I get the point. We give something up for 40 days to show our dedication to the Lord. The time we would have spent on/with that thing, we can use to become closer to the Lord.

    You've presented a great idea here. I've so much going on right now, that I really hadn't considered giving anything up for Lent. I guess I could be cute and say I'm giving up work - as I'll be out for five weeks starting Friday due to back surgery. But you've made me think, and I shall have to decide something to give up.

    It is odd that they're having a meal entirely made of carbs! How unhealthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I was not raised practicing Lent customs or even Ash Wednesday or Maundy Thursday. I get the point but do not believe. Yes, you can give up work...lol. I have had a meal of carbs when there was something I could not eat, like soup with peas that I am allergic to, leaving me with carbs on my plate. There is no use trying to drive with only carbs in our bodies! Dangerous.

      Delete
  3. Hubby celebrated Lent, I didn't because Jesus didn't and I am not Jewish. .. so we went to agreeing instead of giving up something we would do something extra to benefit others. His mother is giving up caffeine (her doctor told her to) and his Father is giving up his 24 ounces of juice (borderline diabetic). None of his siblings are doing anything. His sister converted to Mennonite .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      It sounds like his parents are getting double credit for giving up something...funny. I was not raised doing it and see no Biblical reason to start following it now.

      Delete
  4. I don't observe Lent, myself, but, I read on another blog about collecting 40 cans of food to donate to a food bank; I like that idea.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...