Saturday, March 28, 2020

Friday and Saturday--Car Repair and Guaifenesin

Early Friday morning, we took my car to show them the car to repair. They suggested we leave it even though we had an appointment for Monday morning. So, at 8:15 we went shopping, expecting it to be done before they closed. The shop surprised us by having it done by 2 pm. We had been home just a bit when they called.

So, my car was repaired today. It was almost $800. about $400 less than a previous estimate. Now, the temperature blend actuator door will not make a continual rat-a-tat-tat as I drive. That was driving me to distraction. Plus, this year, no ac was blowing.  

I went to one store and found the spice cake mix I wanted. I will put four Granny Smith apples, chunked, in the mix. But, I need to make a pecan pie first. The pecans need to be eaten before they go rancid. I know I could freeze them, but I did not. So this apple treat will wait until next week.

Treats are only baked once a week. I do not want to bake goodies all week. We don't need that.

Friday, when I went shopping, I found the $1 brownie mix in the pouch and bought four.  Now,  feel prepared...lol.

For congestion in my lungs, I take the generic version of Mucinex. It works miracles. The only active ingredient is guaifenesin. I had bought them in little $0.88 cent bottles (15 tablets)  at WM, but had not been able to find them for over a year. I usually bought about 4 bottles or less, depending on what I could afford each month or when I was low.

I never buy anything that works for fever-chest congestion. I buy one ingredient otc meds. A friend who is a nurse found out I took this med. She told me it could save my life if I ever had pneumonia. Guaifenesin is an expectorant. No, it will not stop a cough. I use Vicks Vaporub on the soles of my feet for that...lol. Coughing gets stuff up. Some coughing is good. -

While I was in Piggly Wiggly today, I went down the aisle with soft soap, looking for Dial Soft Soap and Dial bars;  both kill germs. (I was not looking for it instead of hand sanitizer.) I turned away since it was not there. And, what did I see?

Guaifenesin !!!

Guaifenesin is an expectorant that helps loosen phlegm (mucus) and thin bronchial secretions to rid bronchial passageways of bothersome mucus. Then, I can cough it up. Timed Release never works for me in any meds.

The brand is Top Care and 50 tablets cost something around $5.10. That is cheap to me, especially compared to Mucinex. I now have two bottles. When I need this stuff, I really need it. I have never had a prescription expectorant that worked this well. I highly recommend it. I did take this med that was manufactured in Mississippi, but have no idea where Top Care is manufactured.

Have you ever used the original Mucinex, the one that is only an expectorant, Guaifenesin, as it only active ingredient? This is cheaper. Do you ever use the generic guaifenesin from any manufacturer? Maybe you find it cheaper than I?





14 comments:

  1. I have severe COPD and Mucinex works the best for me. Have you ever tried NAC? Pretty cheap and really keeps mucus thin. 2,000 mg a day
    My pulmonologist recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of NAC, but I read about it just now. If it will affect liver, I should not take it, but I will keep it in mind. Thanks. It is always good to hear about different meds.

      Delete
    2. NAC detoxifies the liver. They use it when someone overdoses on Tylenol. It is great for liver.

      Delete
    3. Tewshooz,
      Oh, I thought it was harmful to the liver. I will read more.

      Delete
  2. I remember the name guaphenesin, probably from my days in pharmaceuticals. I didn't know what it was for. It's good to know.

    Hooray for cheaper than expected car repairs (or anything really)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      When i found out the ingredient that was helping me, I definitely remembered it. Then, when i discovered it was in generic form, i was set to stay well. Or get well.

      Delete
  3. We try to use generic for everything we can. The store brands at Kroger and WM cost less too. Acetaminophen instead of Tylenol, Kroger Tussin DM (it contains guayafenesin and dextropethorphan) instead of the other stuff, omeprazole instead of prilosec when I had gastric issues a couple of years back, even the low-dose (81 mg) aspirin the doctor recommends for my heart. Saving money makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rhymes,
      I did not trust generic, so I tested it out. I have really bad allergies and used to take Allerest. I tried the generic, and when it worked, I was sold on generic. How did you get over gastric issues. I need to get over mine.

      Delete
  4. Sometimes I take a picture of the ingredients on a name brand med. and then I can compare to the generic brand when I see it in the store. If all the ingredients are identical then I will try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I just write it down...lol. Since my android phone was stolen, I have not had one. Today, I finally got a new one opened since I could not get into it to put in the battery. I do have a camera in my purse, but I still just write it down. Once I determine the ingredients are the same, I, too, purchase the med.

      Delete
  5. I take generic if I find it works. Have gastric issues, several in family do, not all the same issues. What is your issue?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chef,
    Gastric reflux and now gastroparesis. What is yours?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alas I cannot take the stuff as it raises my blood pressure. When I have catarrh I have to endure it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Sorry about the effect on you. Thankfully, I do not have that problem. That is when you eat chicken soup. I drink Campbell's Chicken Broth.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...