Friday, March 27, 2020

We Watched the Fire Ants



Over a week ago, I wrote this.

Where the sidewalk abuts the driveway fire ants built a long red mound. I put Amdro at both ends.  I told Tommy not to drive through it. He lifted his walker over. Because the bait had moved, I wondered if the bait had washed, but there had been no rain.

Tommy said he wondered why the bait had moved. It's yellow so very obvious. He observed it was moving and looked more closely. He could see the ants carrying the yellow granules above their heads. They were carrying it to the mound to feed everyone down there, including the QUEEN...hha. I think they are all dead now.

I went out for  a few  things. At Lowe's I bought potting mix. I learned not to use potting soil and I forgot why. I needed more Amdro Fire Ant Bait since there are more mounds. I looked at chairs while I was there.

Other things I got while out:

2 lb. bag of Ronco spaghetti, used coupon which was doubled
2 gallons of vinegar
6 more bananas
4 Granny Smith apples
2 Red Delicious apples
taco season mix
2 half gallons of a2milk
2 packages of pint freezer bags
package of  two gallon freezer bags
bottle of Italian Dressing for Tommy

All the junk is gone from the house where I got the table. Then, I asked to go look for junk piles. There were none. He took me to a toney part of town. Then, we went to another part of town and I saw the biggest rooster I have ever seen. Tommy told me earlier that chickens were not allowed in this town. Now, I know better. The ride relaxed me until he seemed to be veering off the road.

We got all the stuff in from the car. Finally, I finally found Ronco spaghetti. I had the choice of 2 lbs or 7 oz. That was a no-brainer. I have wanted Dial soft soap or Dial bar soap. There are plenty of pink Dove bars at the store and here!

I have three bananas. They are getting ripe with little black spots. I am going to freeze those flat and chunked. Then, I will put them in a freezer bag for smoothies.  The Granny Smith apples are to put into the spice cake I bought or thought I bought...lol. Oh, maybe it was here before I bought the two cake mixes. I still have 3 or 4 half gallons of milk but got two more half gallons.

For dinner tonight we are having a boxed dinner that uses ground beef.  Valu Time Pasta Dinner Mix was given to me, and I decided to keep it for a time like this. It has pasta and a sauce mix. I cook beef and add water. Hopefully, it is edible. I won't use the whole pound of ground beef. I will cook it all and save some beef for another meal. We will have a salad with this meal.

Okay, we had the boxed dinner. Tommy really liked it. It never got thick but that might have been my fault. With a salad, it was filling. But, there are no leftovers since a helping was 1/2 cup. However, there is meat to use for another meal.

I plan to finish off the leaf lettuce in a salad before I buy more.  Monday will probably be potatoes, cabbage, and field peas with the bit of leftover ground beef from the lasagna meal. Instead, I put bbq sauce on the meat, had coleslaw and baked sweet potatoes. It was delicious.

Since I use a lot of vinegar, I like to buy it as cheaply as I can. The vinegar at Piggly Wiggly is $1.74 for one gallon. Then, with the 10% added, it is still cheaper than WM or Publix vinegar or any place i have checked. Usually it is over $2, about $2.48.

I had another set of inserts and could not find them. Then, miraculously, I saw the pink bag. So, now i have another coupon for Ronco Spaghetti and Northern Toilet Paper. Nice! I found more Ronco Spaghetti but not the Northern Toilet Paper.

I am thrilled that the Fire Ant Bait worked to kill the whole mound. Fire Ant Killer just makes the fire ants grab the queen and flee to a new location.

Do you put killer or bait on fire ant beds?

(comment are far, far below)














































































10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting about the A2 milk, long time ago. My grandson, age ten, always complained that his tummy hurt after drinking milk. A month ago, I finally got his Mom to buy the milk for him. Today, his Mom bought his third carton. He loves it and no tummy ache

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Wonderful! Thanks for telling me. My allergist said I was the second person to tell him, and that was last year. I tell everyone who asks me when I get help getting milk from the cooler. They have quadrupled their display this last year. The chocolate a2milk is strong and hurts my stomach. I avoid "Dutch Processed" or "processed with alkali" in any chocolate product. I am happy for your grandson.

      Delete
  2. We don't get many fire ants. I got bacon last Saturday and lettuce and tomato tonight and am looking forward to BLTs tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      Yes, you are pretty far north. I have the bacon, bread, and some lettuce in the garden. All I need is a tomato. We love BLTs.

      Delete
  3. We don't have fire ants near us. Thank goodness. Haven't been to the stores since everything is crazy in NY. Happy to have my well stocked pantry. Glad you were able to get more supplies. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MCOIA,
      I would be grateful not to have them. I only get a few things at a time since so many things are out. At my house I would have needed nothing more than I had. You stay healthy, too.

      Delete
  4. I was weeding an old planter getting it ready for new soil and new plants. Unfortunately fire ants had decided it would make a nice home. I did not realize it until something started stinging me inside of my gloves___Damn ants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Damn ants is right. Remember to use fire ant bait. You do not have to put it in the planter, just around it. I put bait down around my boxes in the back yard when I planted since this neighborhood is full on fire ant mounds.

      Delete
  5. We used to have them at the old place. They are horrible

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      When i was 10, fireants got on me and bit me clear up to panties on one leg and above knee on the other. I am still terrified.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...