Sunday, March 29, 2020

Rearranging the Refrigerator and Inventory

I needed help so asked Tommy who was very willing. I cannot keep bending, raising up, putting things on counter or stove. So, I stayed bent the whole time and directed him where to place things. After we finished, he said he could tell I was hurting. Yep!

Remember the four small crates I bought at Dollar Tree? Well, one now holds his bag of apples and the bag of Halos. This way they are not just shoved and rolled around the refrigerator.  My red Delicious Apples are in a bag of their own and way in the back.

The second little crate holds 4 lbs. butter, two brands of cream cheese, 6 8-oz. chunks of Cheddar cheese, four slices of American cheese (his favorite cheese), and a qt baggie of grated cheese for pizza, I hope. The cheese was in all corners of the refrigerator as was butter and cream cheese.

His refrigerator was and is so nasty, I leave everything in the grocery plastic bags. The crates have solved many organization problems. I still have two more crates that may help to clean off the door. There are plastic bags of little packs of jelly and fast food condiments on the door and in the way.

Then, the maple syrup and extra cooking oil can go on the door instead of falling all around the refrigerator. And, all the baggies of fast food condiments can go in a crate in the refrigerator.

There is a whole cabbage, bag of Cole slaw mix, 8 lbs. of carrots, head of celery, one Roma tomato, and part of a Beef Steak tomato.  The two pieces of lettuce will be eaten today. As long as I have lettuce in my garden, I will not buy more lettuce. Oh, yes, 6 quarts of strawberries.

There is a gallon and a half-gallon of his milk and 6 half-gallons of mine.

Bananas and a bag or oranges are on the table. Two bags of potatoes are on the floor in the kitchen along with about 20 pounds of sweet potatoes. I have two quarts of pecans and four pounds of pistachio. And, there is garlic.

He bought a huge, expensive  package of the pre-cooked bacon about two months ago at Sam's. We have been sensible and not devoured it. So, that is huge, flimsy, and mostly goes where it can.

Remember, his refrigerator is missing the crispers, so this is difficult. They are filthy under the table. Maybe, some day, oh well. . . .  The refrigerator is filthy, too. That is why I leave things in the grocery bags and then lose stuff.

We had BLT tonight with the last of the bought lettuce. Next meal, I will use lettuce from my garden. Okay, one crate left.

I bought four little crates and have used three.  They were so worth $1 each. He paid for those and did not say a word. And, now, he is pleased with the refrigerator.  He will not have to wonder what we have or rummage around leaving it a mystery for me.

I suppose this served as a refrigerator inventory. We need to clean out the freezer as a Coke exploded in there. I can actually clean in there since it is high enough. Tommy can wipe the gunky Coke from stuff when we get it all onto the stove and counter. I do cover the stove and counter to place food on there.

I suppose I will inventory the freezer when we clean it. Plus another inventory will be taken of boxed and canned food.

Now, I know what is in the refrigerator! I have food!

8 comments:

  1. Staying on top of refrigerator spills, and grunge is worth it. It doesn't take much for chaos to happen. I'm glad you feel like you have some order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I kept mine spotless until I could not bend much. Then, I cleaned it where I could.Then, I paid someone to clean it. He said he has not cleaned this in 15 years. Cleaning up spills as they happen is best. I never had dripping jars on the doors because I wiped jars off before I put them back. Yes, order and a sense of what we have.

      Delete
  2. I love using those little "crates" from Dollar Tree, too. I put them in the drawers in our bathroom - it sure does keep the bottom of drawers from getting so disgusting. Would have never thought to use them in the refrigerator! Good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie Q,
      The refrigerator was the hotspot of chaos in the house. Food being stirred about by Tommy was driving me nuts. It was good he got his own fruit and cheese and stuff, just not working out for organization.

      Delete
  3. I did an inventory too. I am not certain (for I have never done this) if we have 'enough' or living in a fools paradise. At least we know now what there is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not do the inventory out of any fear of running out, although that could happen. I had no idea exactly what was in there. I always make mental notes of what is in the refrigerator, but this is the first time I have written it down. Oh, I hope both of us are not living in a fool's paradise.

      Delete
  4. I have to label all leftovers in the refrigerator and freezer or my husband becomes blind to what there is to eat. Then I have a shelf that is mostly leftovers and still he can't find them. If I say, "don't forget there is ____ in the refrigerator to eat up". I hear, "I know, I know". Then why doesn't he eat it. One day I had put soup I made in jars in the freezer. Meal size (with room for expansion) I came home and one was sitting on top the refrigerator and room temp. I said why did you take this out and not put it in the refrigerator to thaw over night? He swore he didn't take it out but I knew he did because the over the refrigerator freezer was rearranged so he could get some butter out. Better to just own up to it. lol. Glad you got those bins to help in the refrigerator. Now you can see all your lovely food and not have to go on a scavenger hunt to find it. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      Tommy moves things, too, and then swears he did not while looking for that same thing! Some days, I tell Tommy to not touch the refrigerator, to call me and I will get what he wants. Thankfully, he called me to find what he wanted. Hopefully, now he can find things. Even better, I can find what I need and wonder where he moved it!

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...