Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Garden and Goats

While we were on a country road outside Cullman, I was absolutely stunned at the size of a wooden box by the road--4 feet x 60 feet. Yes, it was that large. We had seen it twice before while it was being constructed. There were piles of boards. It appears pallets had been torn apart. Each time we passed more boxes, smaller boxes, were finished. 

Today, there were two women beside a car, so I had Tommy turn around. As I returned and turned down the side road, one woman was leaving. So, i knew who lived there and owned the boxes. 

She is planting in her yard. She has a small greenhouse. There was a composting thing that looked like a barrel that could be turned. I was envious. 

She has never done this before. She is going to have a CSA and can enough to feed them. She is very ambitious. I believe she will succeed. 

We talked chickens, too. She has 35 day old chicks and is going to learn how to raise them. I think she is going to sell eggs, too. I gave her a few hints. I warned her about raccoons! 

She and her husband are from Lubbock, Texas, and have no children. Their you tube is Young Family Homestead. 

We also saw a field full of goats, It appeared there were as many babies as nannies. Since last week someone put a child's swing in for the goats to climb. It was a swing like the kind that comes with a child's swing set. When we went down the road the first time, all the goats were around the slide and one tiny baby goat was lying at the very top. 

I had every intention of stopping on the way back and taking a picture. But, on the way back the goats had all moved to another part of the field. Their guard donkey was visiting them. It was all cute. One baby goat was getting lunch. The baby was solid black except for a white tip to its tail and a white blaze on its face. 

Tomorrow, I will relate a very good doctor visit to you. 

Who is making a garden this year and what kind of setup do you have? Even if you are only growing tomatoes in pots, i am interested. 

12 comments:

  1. that sounds like it would be a fun youtube channel to watch. I've never gardened but I'd like to try out a few veggies in containers on my back patio this summer and see how I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Yes, she is just starting these beds after a failure last year. First, make sure you have direct sunlight for at least 8 hours per day. FWiW, I have successfully grown tomatoes and peppers with less direct sunlight.

      Delete
  2. I used to have a beautiful garden, flowers & veggies, but now our garden is just an overgrown mess. I'd like to rebuild the veggie garden and spend more time in the yard, perhaps if I am allowed to work from home soon I can get some outside work done. I have lemon & lime trees, mint and chrysanthemums in pots on the front verandah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jn,
      Hopefully, you can work from home and get to work in your garden. You must live in a warm place if you have lemon and lime trees outdoors.

      Delete
  3. there are some veggies like lettuce etc that can grow in partial shade and only 6 hrs of sunlight... best to google it because that list grows it seems every time I look.

    We will be planting garden in square foot garden style. Just only 2 ft wide and 8 feet long. I did go with 1 foot deep so I can plant regular carrots. I really hope this works because last year's garden didn't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      True, that is why I put that in...not necessarily. You can plant most anything in shade...lol...and maybe not get enough to make it worth the effort...lol. I have short carrots. well short carrot seeds.

      Delete
  4. A drive in the country sounds like a perfect thing to do these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were on our way to a doctor, but we always enjoy the drive and make our stops and take pictures along the way. We do intend to make more drives just because. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I have essentially doubled our raised garden size this year. The results were so great last year, we wanted to do more this year. Last year we did 4 square corrugated metal containers approx. 3 feet x 3 feet or so. We had them spaced so we could drive mower in between. This year we put fire rings (metal) in between and one in the very center and I mulched with leaves/straw and put a fence around the entire area (to keep mulch in and keep our new pup out). I plan to put one tomatoe to each fire ring (5). We LOVE tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      Success will surely make a person try for more! I need to come by and see what you have. I love tomatoes, too. I really have to do this alone, so it is hard.

      Delete
  6. I so miss growing a vegetable garden. It is almost worth moving back to the Midwest to have one again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      You cannot grow anything where you are, even in a pot?

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...