Friday, March 20, 2020

Toilet Paper and Sanitizer: Found and My Garden

Today, I had to go out to get my McAfee protection for my laptop renewed. I keep getting a pop up warning me of time running out for my coverage. I refuse to open a popup.  It appears I could not call it in. I was told to go to a store. I now am good for two years with McAfee. While in Office Depot/Office Max in Homewood, I came upon alcohol sanitizer in the front of the store. A sign said only one purchase per person. I got one--$2. It is all I have and all I have found.

When I came out and told Tommy, he said he noticed people with large purchases, all carrying one small bottle of alcohol sanitizer. He wondered. This store in on Hwy 31 in Hoover.

In another store, I passed toilet paper being unboxed and asked about Northern. I could only have one 6 pack, exactly what I had a coupon to purchase. I got another hair color, not the right color, but it will do. I found lawn chairs, wicker ones that fold, just what I need for the yard. But, I am not buying those now. Plus, the Amdro Fire Ant Bait will have to wait. I am using Tommy's cc, so I did not want to push my luck.

He found gas at Jet Pep in Hoover across the street from the Galleria--$1.82/gal. I pumped it for Tommy. It hurts me to do so, but he cannot walk and must hold onto the luggage rack. I hate to see him struggle so.

I had to go to Joanne's Fabrics to get a seam ripper to deconstruct the jumpsuit to make pants. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I saw the electric cart. Tommy will have to bring lunch and something to read, take a nap and listen to the radio while I spend a lot of time in there some day. I am soooo happy. I went right in and out today.

We had a grilled cheese sandwich just before we left, so we had no need for anything to eat.

We went out to the backyard yesterday to check my garden. Everything is standing up nicely, no wilting. The watering is all into a tube on the side of the box. A reservoir holds it and it soaks into the soil. Tommy managed to fight his way past the backdoor steps to go in and out. I help him with the walker.

I have cabbages and broccoli and other things planted, forgot what. The woman took the little plant markers that come with the plants.  I need to get out there and get the carrot seeds into the ground.

So, we have no socialization with anyone else. One dinner we attend is now a carryout dinner. Another lunch is up in the air, Maybe it will be canceled, maybe not. Hopefully, a carryout.

Tonight, I prepared a lot of sweet potatoes to go in the oven. Tommy voluntarily took all the bags and went through them. Now, he has put all the ones I need to attend to in one bag. He has always done that for me. At one time, he would carry 40 lb boxes to the yard. He did this after dark tonight and in the living room.

Tonight, we will have baked chicken from the freezer, baked sweet potatoes, and slaw. I am getting hungry thinking about the feast.  The slaw mix was bogo at Publix. We have two pieces of apple pie, so that might be eaten, not sure. So far, we are eating well despite the situation in the US.

How about you? Do you need a few things at your house? Eating well?

18 comments:

  1. That all doesn't sound too bad.
    I am looking forward to returning to work after a week home. I don't know if my work will be altered or even closed. No words yet from the bosses or the AZ government.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      The food? Not too bad at all. I can see how people want to get back to normal.

      Delete
  2. We just had a grocery and pharmacy run yesterday. We don't stock up on things but I did buy a Costco size pkg of kleenix tissue. Then I discovered another full pack of the tissues hidden in the basement. guess we have enough of that for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't buy much at all, either. Kleenex can always be used instead of tp. The tp was not for stock up, either. I need a thermometer, and cannot find one!

      Delete
  3. It's good to eat normal like you do and eat just one sandwich but kinda crazy to be like me, and eat four. Per day. Mess, I know. We've all gotta stay safe during these hard times. We'll live with what we have, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. guys,
      Four is a lot, but no judgment here. staying safe is of paramount importance.

      Delete
  4. We are doing well so far. Have a freezer that has food and pantry shelves. I am not a hoarder but have always had to prepare and have things on hand in case my heart started acting up and I couldn't get out for a while. Need to prep some food today for the week. I make food and freeze some of it so cooking is basically reheating during the week. Seems to work well for me. Take care and talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! You don't need to become ill. None of us do. I keep plenty of food, too. This week, I have frozen chicken breasts, ham in the freezer, and one hot dog...lol. The sweet potatoes will go in there, too. I should cook like you do all the time.

      Delete
  5. You've been very busy! I've been keeping busy inside the house. I made a pot of October beans yesterday and it was enough to last today too. I've been reading too, and trying not to let cabin fever set in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I am in now...lol. Most of the things I got and the trip to Joanne's were totally unplanned. I don't have to cook tonight as I have chicken, sweet potatoes, and slaw--repeat of last night. But, he is okay with it. My health has taken a turn for the better, not much, but I am hopeful.

      Delete
  6. I got another carton of eggs yesterday (they are my main staple) and some fresh veggies. I have some celery, cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus that i need to eat. Tomorrow I am going to make a stir fry with the latter three, and boil the celery with the stalk of the asparagus to make cream of celery/asparagus soup. Other than that, I am eating okay. Staying healthy. Getting some rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhitter,
      I never want to run out of eggs for long. I have never had celery/Thanks.asparagus soup. It sounds good.

      Delete
  7. Hi. PP!! My job is in a deli, and i have been waiting on 3 times the amount of customers i usually do, and my job is considered essential services; it will not close. i have done a pretty good job of keeping calm, and transferring that to my customers; while remaining super safe, for myself and others, by much increased distancing, and cleaning, you have 3 times more customers, 3 times ,more cleaning. that why so many stores still open, have to change their hours,for public health, and safety, so please bear with your local emergency servers, that`s what grocery workers have become, i`m on the front line. keeping things clean at home. i and my SO of almost 15 years, are currently in day 10 of a no contact agreement, it`s super rough; i`m just not safe for him, in his age bracket. as for food and supplies, someone like me, who can only buy a little at a time, can now buy nothing; but that`s ok, nothing is stressing me out right now, got to keep my eye on the ball. luv y`all, say a little prayer for your old granny :>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GrannyDear,
      Thanks for a view from the deli. I did not know all this. Keep safe. Sending warm thoughts your way.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you've been busy! The food all sounds good! I can't wait to start planting. I'm gonna try growing onions from the ends. I'm gonna start my other produce seedlings indoors next weekend. I need to check if we still have potting soil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      Since I have the seeds, I am going to try to grow onions from seeds. I might buy some onions and grow from the ends, too.

      Delete
  9. Hubby hauling pallets for food and non food to be transported on is considered essential. I have been sheltered in place for a week. Hubby took me and dogs for a ride around the block... It was great to see the greenhouses going up and what is starting.

    We have food and TP. Gave a couple months worth to 2 daughters So thankful I was able to stock like I did.

    We had steak, onion and mushroom fajitas Saturday night, I used the left overs to make Philly cheese steak pizza on one of the 3 pizza crusts I found digging through freezer for meat for the girls. Tonight I am making taco pizza to use up another crust and the last of the tomatoes and some of the lettuce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed the ride we took today. I am glad, too, that you could give food to your daughters. I used to give my daughter food. Now, you are the second person to mention mushrooms, and now i want mushrooms. I love mushrooms on pizza. We have one tomato and lettuce for dinner tonight with leftover beef and leftover chicken for something.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...