Thursday, March 26, 2020

Surprise! Surprise!

Say it like Gomer Pyle. Okay?

On Thursday morning Tommy and I were in one of his spare bedrooms where over the years I had asked him to store things for me. I was looking for metal shelves for the kitchen. I used these when I taught GED. They are solid metal, not perforated ones. So, they should hold anything I put on them.

I can tell from the outside of the box what is in each box because I label all six sides, a good idea as the label can be viewed without having to unstack and move boxes.

Lo and Behold! One box was labeled "TP." I was overjoyed. There were 16 rolls of tp. This is cheap stuff given to me. I cannot use it. I was using wash clothes instead of tp at that time, anyway. Now, Tommy can use it.

16 rolls!

We went to Cullman today where we had something to do. While there, I bought all the nuts and bolts to attach the shelf unit--$50. I was shocked. It took forever to get them.

I took the pink comforter to a laundry up there because I have not seen one here and I know the one there is clean and we were going. It cost me $4 to wash it. Dryer prices are ridiculous--a quarter for 7 minutes. I brought it home and have it draped across my walker in the dining area. His dryer only blasts hot. There is no lower heat setting.

There was no mail. Pooo!

Tommy bought gas for $1.79/gal. at the Marathon.

I went to a food bank where I got  deli chicken, half gallon of milk, and gallon freezer bag full of ham. It was as though half-inch slices were cut up. I am going to cook Great Northern Beans and add some of the ham along with the four teeny packs of baby carrots we got with a meal. I will slice the carrots. Tommy seemed to think it would be delicious. I hope so.

At the food bank, they had a table outside. We were instructed to stay in our cars. They wrote our name on a list and brought the two boxes to us. It was so much faster than sitting inside with people with body odor and cigarette smoke smell wafting up my nose.

The cans are still in the car along with sweets. Tomorrow, we will find someone who needs the cans we don't need. We do not need the sweets.

The Thursday meal was a drive by. We pulled up one by one and the meals were brought to our window. We got--two pizza slices, salad, teeny bags of baby carrots and a delicious chocolate chip cookie. We drank water and  ate in a park.

There were no clouds in the sky all day. But, the blue sky was dimmed a bit by sort of a high haze. It was 85 today. Spectacular weather.

Life is not the same. However, for me it is improving instead of being sad and closed in. It seems my lethargy is lifting. I was energetic for just a while today. YAY!

Is life improving any for you?

12 comments:

  1. Much of the consequences of this pandemic benefit us: no driving to and from work every day, lots of time home with the dogs, unapologetically lounging and watching lots of our favorite movies and TV shows. But I can’t help feeling an underlying foreboding...

    Sassybear
    Www.Idleeyesandadormy.Com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, have the underlying feeling of foreboding. Raising the restrctions too soon is what scares me most.

      Delete
  2. We're starting to feel the impact, being so active. I feel worse for young people who are following the rules. This is not how teen and young adult days should be spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I think it is hardest for the younger people. They are young and have lots of time to live, but it might be hard to convince them. Hopefully, they will all stay safe during this.

      Delete
  3. Glad to see things are looking up for you. Found toilet paper is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staying home way more now. Just cooking and reading and doing bits of this and that. Luckily eating from food we have mostly. When we needed a few things from the store I went early in the morning during senior time and right after the store opened. Still missing stuff like TP and paper towels in the stores but I have plenty right now. Things like dairy and meat are limited to one of a like kind. Like only one package of chicken, one package of beef. I wonder what families are doing that have a lot of kids at home. That's about it for now. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I am slowly getting more food, mainly to keep up with my desire for milk and bananas. Here, they only limit one of a kind to emergency cleaning supplies and tp, I think. I have not check a meat case for that sign. I suppose people with lots of kids at home have to go out more often. That is unfortunate. Thanks. Take care yourself.

      Delete
    2. It really is unfortunate that larger families might have to expose themselves and others more because of strict limits. All though I think we had to have some type of limits because people were going crazy at the start of all this and getting way more than needed or even more than they could handle. I know they were afraid but it didn't leave any for others. Now all our stores say no return on these items. The only thing you can return is if you got something that was bad like meat or dairy or something like that.

      Delete
    3. Crystal,
      The limits on milk seemed sad. And, now on beans!

      Delete
  5. we are on stay at home. Two of the restaurants closed until April 7th when the stay at home lifts as they weren't making enough as carry out and delivery. We know our peak of this virus (IN OHIO) will be late April to Mid May because we have closed almost everything. There is talking of extending the stay at home. I have a friend up in Huntsville AL that is still going about running errands and going to Church ... he would be sitting at home if he lived here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      Churches are closed in AL. I will stay at home on my own as long as this virus is about. I did wonder if restaurants could afford to remain open.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...