Monday, April 20, 2020

Thunderstorms and Wasted Food

About 4:00 pm on Sunday, yesterday, I took out chicken breasts, a family pack to cook for dinner and coming days. By 5 pm, I had chicken in the crockpot and chicken and carrots in the oven. At almost exactly 5 pm, I had finished with computer and pushed the button to turn it off. At the moment I pressed the button to turn off my computer. When I pressed the button, the house electricity went off with a bang.

The only flashlights in this house are two $1 ones that I bought after I moved here, and I could not find mine! Of course, the chicken had just gotten hot. Power company said it would be on by 7 pm. I wanted out of this house. We left as we were. I wanted a small burger since I did not dare open the refrigerator. Good thing I had something and especially Tommy.

The men were working at the corner and we watched for a bit. We came home at 7 pm when they left. The lights to the house were on. As I was halfway out of the car, I noticed the house was dark. So, we left again. The guy at the corner in the power company pickup said it went off as soon as it was restored. It would be 8 pm before they could have it on again. He had sent them off to another outage before they had seen ours went off again. ugh

At 8 pm, they had our electricity on again. As I was getting out of the car, there were three horrendously loud pops and fireworks like the Fourth, all emanating from the top of a power pole near our house.  Yes, I gave out a little scream, three times. AND, I peed in my pants!!! I continued inside and changed my panties but could not find pants in the dark since I had not brought the flashlight in.

It turned out the fireworks were not right here, just showing behind power poles. Seriously, the electric sparks came out, spraying in all directions just like fireworks.

I went back to the car with wet pants and a thick towel to cover his seat. YUCK!!!  By this time I was a nervous wreck. It sounded like bombs being dropped. Tommy said that was coming from the TVA power lines near his house. Well, I had enough and we left the house again.

Since I desperately wanted candy by this time, he took me to CVS where I purchased two candy bars. Chocolate has never tasted so good.

When we came back at 9 pm, the electricity was on. But, it kept going off, over and over, maybe 10 times. The chicken in the oven was in a glass pan and was fully heated when we left, so we ate the chicken and carrots, along with the zucchini on top of the stove.

He insists that the electricity only went off twice, not the ten times I say it went off. He said it flickered. No, it was off...lol.

The 4 huge breasts in the crockpot were just brought to about 100 degrees and then just sat from 5 to 9. So, I went ahead and cooked it and will give it to the neighbors three dogs. At my house I could have fired up the grill. He has never owned a grill.

We only ate part of one breast between us last night. The rest of that breast is waiting for us along with the second breast I cooked. One breast furnished three meals. So, to extrapolate that, the three wasted breasts would have furnished us with 10 meals ( 5 for two of us), more than a week's worth of protein.  The dogs will eat well if their owners will allow them to have it.

No, I did nothing more on the list of things to do for yesterday! I did bathe and now must wash my hair, at least.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Eating chocolate did make everything seem less scary.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness. That would have been scary. Sorry you lost so much chicken that you could have eaten for so many meals. Still better to be safe than sick. Hope they got everything fixed and up and running with no more problems. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I fully expected more lights out. Thankfully, all this lasted only until 9 pm. When the chicken had been warm in the crockpot for three hours, I gave up hope. Tomorrow, I will buy more chicken. It did make me sad.

      Delete
  3. It's a shame to lose all that chicken - but I probably would have peed my pants too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treaders,
      Hopefully, the dog can eat it, or maybe I could find a cat. With all the explosions and the light display one door down, I was so ready to just faint.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, how frightening that would have been. We always feel like leaving the house too when the power is out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I do not usually want to leave the house, but he has a candle I think he was going to light. At my house, I have windows to at least bring light from the storm. Not so here. It was actually a little light outside. I also had plenty of battery powered light.

      Delete
  5. I would have been upset to lose all that chicken, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I still am, but I replaced it today. Well, I did not replace all, just about half. We did not have anything to take to Cullman for a chicken sandwich. Now, we will next time we go.

      Delete
  6. scary I would have wet myself also, I am good at that.

    ReplyDelete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...