Friday, April 17, 2020

Turkey Breast and Grilled Alligator

When I went into Cullman and asked about the turkey breasts, the person in the meat dept. said it did not come in. I called when back down here and was told they did not know what I was talking about, that they did not carry anything like that. So, I called back and the person up front said it was a deli item.

I did not argue but I knew better. Why would they advertise a gravy packet and say it was fully processed?

So, I went in today and asked up front, showing the manager the ad. He led me right to it in what he called a "dump bin." I got two, about $13 worth. When I got home, it would not fit in the freezer! I had to take out the loaf of bread. I am not happy, but it will be okay.

I also remembered to get the frozen lemon juice I keep forgetting and a box of ice cream sandwiches just because.

The reason we were out was that I needed more potting mix from Lowe's. That place is bursting at the seams with people. Not only did I get the potting mix, I found my favorite flower--wave petunias. Well, these are not my favorite flower, just the one I like for pots that hang.

Since I saw the neighbor out who has four children, I offered to tutor them. Actually, I caught the mother who was very pleased. Then, the father came out and she went in. He said that the teaching children was her job...lol. Okay. Hopefully, they will let me help them in math or English.

This neighbor grills out all the time. He told us today that he grills anything. He told us how he grills alligator tail and will bring us some next time. Okaaaay….  He is the first person I have know who grill or even eat alligator tail or alligator anything. He said he grilled wild hog the other day.

Have you had alligator?

22 comments:

  1. I have had alligator twice. Tastes a little like chicken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had alligator. It is white when cooked

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had alligator one time in North Carolina on vacation at the beach. It was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had gator on a stick at Bayou Pierre Alligator Park in Natchitoches, Louisiana. It was deep fried and I don't remember any distinct flavor....texture of cooked chicken though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slugmama,
      Thanks. The chicken theme is encouraging me not to be so cautious.

      Delete
  5. It was part of a platter at a dinner I attended last summer in New Orleans at a restaurant I think Called Red Fish? I tried it, nothing incredible or awful, so I guess if it was a need for nutrition, I wouldn't be opposed, but as a delicacy? No thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      Thanks. I am getting less jittery about eating alligator.

      Delete
  6. My husband teaches his teen age grandsons math. He said he teaches them the new way and then he teaches them the 'right' way. He was an engineer before he retired

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      For most problems, there are several ways to arrive at an answer. I am quite sure the right way is the way I would do math.

      Delete
  7. don't know about the alligator, never had the opportunity to try it but I am not a big meat eater and it doesn't sound appetizing (just because it is new to me I guess)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      The "new" part is probably my problem. Plus, eating wild things has never appealed to me. Thanks.

      Delete
  8. Your neighbor sounds like the kind of guy who would pick up road kill and grill it. lol. I wonder. My grand daughter had alligator when she was in Florida visiting her other grandpa about 5-6 years ago. She said it was Okay. This from the kid who only wanted chicken nuggets and carrot sticks when she was a kid. lol. Her dad is a chef so of course that frustrated him. So he taught her to chop veggies and cook then so she would then eat them. When she was really young she even had her own kids knife set. She could only use them with him supervising. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal,
      I really doubt he grills road kill. His wife is a nurse and he has four kids. Besides, fresh road kill is okay to eat...lol. I did not even know there were knife sets for kids. I suppose she got over not eating vegetables.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a man I wold stay away from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow alligator and wild hog? From your post title I thought YOU were having the alligator LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAL,
      He said he would bring us some next time he grills alligator, so I suppose I will be having it. I am going to give him some of my produce for salads.

      Delete
  11. I don't remember having any alligator; I would think if I had I would remember it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I imagine you would remember eating alligator.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...