Saturday, May 9, 2020

No Lemon Tree for Me

Today, I tried the Dollar General coupon of buy $25 and save $5. I found two huge pots and four very small ones. The huge pots are for food plants. The four small ones are for a bag of five Hosta bulbs. I also bought a birthday card for $1 for my granddaughter. Plus, a roll of weed block. I never saw my $5 come off the receipt. So, I will call customer service, let them pull up the receipt and help me.

Tommy would only take me to two places to look for a Meyer Lemon Tree for my birthday. I am bummed by that. I really want a lemon tree. I wonder if I could order one from a florist. ??? It would probably cost too much.

It is 6:25 pm, and I do not want to cook dinner or thaw it!  Since we went to bed late and set the alarm early, and I did not sleep much, I took a nap this afternoon. Now, I sit here reading and piddling.

Even though I go to bed sleepy, I get too hot and deprived of cool air. Tommy's house stays warm, so when there is no wind outside, it gets stuffy in here. He runs the ac for me at night and turns the fan on the work all night. Still, I felt suffocated by the warm air last night.

I am still working on planting and repotting plants, so that will be tomorrow afternoon. There will still stuff to be done in the garden out back. I suppose I will buy tomato plants and zucchini and one pepper plant.

Before it gets dark, I need to water everything, so I may plant the five Hosta bulbs. It depends. I am trying to talk myself into doing it...lol.

Okay, I decided. I am going to give Tommy the bit of leftover chicken, steam some broccoli for him, and share my portion of zucchini that I did not eat last night. I might make some carrots sticks for him. The five gallons of carrots have lasted well and been delicious baked with chicken. I will make tuna salad for me.

So, not much is happening here, which is just fine with me.

Do you have a Meyer Lemon Tree? Is it cold at your house? It is 65F here and has been warm all day.

14 comments:

  1. Not sure if you want to start out with a 6" Meyer lemon tree but you can order one online from Walmart for 19.99. Hirts Gardens has 4" one for 14.99. I have order plants from both and they are all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HHH,
      Those are tiny. I had about two feet in mind. But, I will certainly check this out. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Myers Plants and Pottery on 31 in Pelham have or at least had them. I bought a lime plant there and currently have about a dozen small limes on it, but they are not inexpensive there. I love that plant shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Thanks. I will try there. I have their number and address down, waiting until they open.

      Delete
  3. I just love the idea of lemons and limes in a yard. We grow ice on our trees mostly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      I am always envious of bloggers who talk about citrus fruit growing in their yards. Citrus will not grow in my yard of Anne's this winter. But, at least I don't grow ice on trees. Funny remark.

      Delete
  4. I have no experience growing lemon trees. It was COLD here yesterday morning--we had a freeze warning. Quite unusual for May here in Ohio. I feel bad for people who have lost flowers, etc to the freeze. I remember my Grandma always preached to NEVER plant before Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      It was cold down here, too. No freeze. I started planting March 12, but we can plant early. It has not been down to freezing here for maybe three months. We are lucky like that.

      Delete
  5. cold, had a 29 degree temp yesterday morning. Call a nursery not florist for the lemon tree. You might order one on line. I got several of our fruit trees on line.

    I have the heat vent blocked in bedroom and still have to run the fan during the night with just a light throw over me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      The nurseries I called were closed and did not have lemon trees. Granted, I only called two.

      When I went to my mother's house, I had to have the vent closed and the door to the bedroom.

      Delete
  6. It was up to 40c (104F) but it is cooling off to a chill mid-90s this week.
    There are no lack lemons here everyone has one in their back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      It is fascinating that ordinary people have citrus right out the back door. That is hot! Whew!

      Delete
  7. When we lived near Sacramento, CA, we had lemons and oranges in our back yard. That was a long time ago, but it is a tasty memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      What a tasty memory that is. All this talk almost makes me want to move to citrus country.

      Delete

Halloween Decorations

 Saturday night, we started decorating for Halloween. I found the ghosts to hang from the dogwood tree. They were wadded and wrinkled, so th...